You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you view someone who doesn't drink?

deiseach

How do you view someone who doesn't drink?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view someone who doesn't drink?

• Meh, what they do with their time and money is up to them
    • Bit of a weirdo, if I'm being absolutely honest

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/22 at 09:54

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Mrs O'T got a car (with the thought that her parents in London weren't getting any younger, so she wanted to be prepared in case she needed to go down there at short notice). I thought I'd best take my share of the driving.

So, had you not bothered with driving at all up to this point or (like my brother) had you passed your test years ago but just never bothered? 

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

People who don't drink alcohol are fine. I don't drink much myself, don't think I've had any since Christmas.

People who have never drunk alcohol though? They're the oddballs.

That’s me! I’m 41, never touched a drop. No idea what it’s like to be tipsy or drunk.

• Upvote 1

I don't drink. Just couldn't be arsed anymore. Spent my teens, 20s and early to mid thirties doing loads of drinking and drugs. Gave up drugs around 32, because I lost interest in them. Gave up drinking about ten years ago when my lad was on the way. I wanted to do my bit and didn't want to be too fucked with a hangover to be of any use on a Saturday or Sunday morning. And the attraction to it hasn't been strong enough to get me back into it. I have the very occasional beer or glass of wine, but I haven't been rolling drunk since August 2011.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Simbo said:

That’s me! I’m 41, never touched a drop. No idea what it’s like to be tipsy or drunk.

Probably a stupid question, but are you not even curious? 

Having said that, i have always been curious to know what being smacked out of your skull feels like but i've never had the inclination to physically find out.

Having my childhood destroyed by alcohol plays a big part in why I'm not keen on it. I'm not tee-total, I'll still have a few drinks if I'm invited out for a weekend or a birthday etc. But it's rare I'll get bladdered and I never drink alone or in the house.

2 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Probably a stupid question, but are you not even curious? 

Having said that, i have always been curious to know what being smacked out of your skull feels like but i've never had the inclination to physically find out.

Similar really….a little curious but not enough to go and actually try it. 

Got quite into the raving scene and everything that came with it during my early 20s but alcohol has always been a no-no for some reason.

6 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

So, had you not bothered with driving at all up to this point or (like my brother) had you passed your test years ago but just never bothered? 

Passed years earlier and then never bothered. When I first passed, my license was limited to three years (on medical grounds). I thought it was a bit worrying that twenty-odd years later, when I filled in a clear medical form, they just reissued the licence, with no need to re-take a test. I ended up getting lessons that, legally, I didn't need.

5 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Similar really….a little curious but not enough to go and actually try it. 

Got quite into the raving scene and everything that came with it during my early 20s but alcohol has always been a no-no for some reason.

So, based on you saying "everything that came with it" did you take Gary's etc then?

I regularly have a month off the beer through the year, always in Jan and then usually a couple more.   The big thing for me is the quality of sleep when I’m not drinking, it’s great to wake up fresh and not with a headache or tired as fuck.  

I do like a beer in the evening but so far this Jan only once have I thought ‘I’d love a beer now’.  

4 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

So, based on you saying "everything that came with it" did you take Gary's etc then?

Yeah. Used to feel a bit left out when out clubbing with my mates and being the only sober one. One night a mate offered me a Gary and I took it on a whim. 

I’ve no doubt that sounds strange…rejecting alcohol for years but then getting into drugs because I felt left out. Just how things panned out though.

• Upvote 1

I vary. Went seven months 2020/2021 without a drop. Tend to pop into the local most days but last few times it's only been a tonic water (no gin!).

I'm off it at the moment though it did go slightly to pot when I attended a certain sporting event on Thursday.

I can take it or leave it. I can't remember the last time I got bladdered.

24 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Yeah. Used to feel a bit left out when out clubbing with my mates and being the only sober one. One night a mate offered me a Gary and I took it on a whim. 

I’ve no doubt that sounds strange…rejecting alcohol for years but then getting into drugs because I felt left out. Just how things panned out though.

Yeah it does to be honest but it's your mind and ultimately your choice what you choose to put in your body at the end of the day. Obviously i don't know your exact reasons for never touching alcohol but if it was because you felt there was a dangerous or addictive aspect to it then to just chuck a psychoactive drug down your neck on a whim seems slightly at odds with your previous stance. 

Was this a regular thing afterwards or was it a one off?   

2 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Yeah it does to be honest but it's your mind and ultimately your choice what you choose to put in your body at the end of the day. Obviously i don't know your exact reasons for never touching alcohol but if it was because you felt there was a dangerous or addictive aspect to it then to just chuck a psychoactive drug down your neck on a whim seems slightly at odds with your previous stance. 

Was this a regular thing afterwards or was it a one off?   

I got well into it for a few years however simply grew out of it in the end. 

One thing that always put me off alcohol was seeing my mates make complete prats of themselves and then the inevitable aggression it led to. Everyone is your mate on Gary’s which is probably why I favoured them.

• Upvote 3

Slightly off track; a drinking story of one of the last legendary hellraisers, Peter O'Toole was in a pub with a friend when the landlord called time and so was O,Toole and fellow hellraiser Peter Finch were refused a couple of extra after hours drinks, when O,Toole protested the landlord reminded O'Toole that his six Oscar nominations were fucking worthless in his establishment as it was him that owned the pub and not the legendary actor, O'Toole sighed, pulled out his chequebook and told the landlord he'd buy the he pub on the spot for a vastly inflated rate to what it was worth the, the landlord agreed and O"Toole and friend carried on drinking into the small hours, however when O'toole awoke the next day and recounted the night before he rushed back to the aforementioned pub he'd bought the previous evening, luckily for O,Toole the landlord hadn't cashed the cheque and they became good mates for thereafter. 

https://therake.com/stories/icons/rakish-hellraiser-peter-otoole/

Definitely goes into the "they don't make em like that anymore" category.

One of my best mates has gone teetotal in recent years and it's only through him have I realised just how much of our friendship groups' activities revolved around drinking and the pub. Trying to plan his stag do to make it non booze centric was a nightmare, especially when the other lads were bang up for getting straight on the ale. 

14 minutes ago, Bogman said:

My missus, prior to us getting hitched, used to get mullered on Diamond White.

Having known her for 25 years, never been drunk, which is brilliant for me, as she is my full time designated driver.

Lovely-jubbly.

Winning at life

I joined a darts team this year, annoyingly the league is a Monday night. Should be the day to start a sober mid week but can end up being heavier than a weekend.

The real oddballs are the ones who go to darts on a Monday night, mid winter, pub warm and cosy, and still dont drink. 

Although they quite often give me a lift home.

Which makes them ace