You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cardiff (H) – FAC 4th Rnd, Sun 6th Feb 2022 (12:00pm)

Trumo

Missed the start of the match, but it looked an excellent peformance against a lower league side full of kids.

Control the ball, move them around, tire them out, then cut them up once their shape starts to disintegrate.

Fitness and quality of subs available play a huge part in these matches.

The top teams are a bit better at the start of matches, but much better at the end.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Always want the boys to win so it's a good result. The truth is I didnt get excited once, the domestic cups just dont do it any more for me.

First half performance was poor. Far too many players leaning back coming onto the ball and ballooning it over. Absolutely shocking finishing.

Lots of debate over their shout for a pen. Have to say if that's on one of our attacking players, Im shouting 'Penalty' for that. It was a clumsy challenge \ running into the player. I thought there was an offside immediately before it but, it turns out it was a little before.

2nd half was a better performance and let's be honest, it wasnt hard to be after the poor first half. Kelleher could have seen red on another day and I think the fact Konate was level with him meant he wasnt last man denying a clear scoring opportunity?

Nice goals by Jota, Taki and Harvey. Luis did great work along the goal line pulling it back for Taki to eventually rattle it in. Bit of concern when he went down clutching his knee and hopefully, it doesnt balloon between now and Leicester.

Great to see young Harvey come on and look like he hadnt been out for 5 months. Even better, scoring his first for the first team at Anfield in the kop goal.

More than happy those who went and support the cup exploits saw some goals and a win but I really cant get excited about the domestic cups now. City get yet another easy draw in the next round with peterbrough while surprise, surprise, we get another PL team to play, albeit Norwich.

Then you get tits like carragher saying Jurgen and the club should have 'won more.' Maybe if we'd got the easy ties for the last 4 or 5 years city have had, we might?

I dont think the Cardiff lad had control of the ball when he changed direction to initiate contact. For once a great call by the ref. Thought he let the game flow. Disapointed with Bobby again today.

Curtis will look better once Sadio (or Diaz) starts, them hugging the wing then going inside will give Cutis better options. We seem to be playing sort of a hybrid role for Jota now between Bobby's position and Mane's, and it's not working particularly well for us. One big exception to that is Jota getting in the box more often and scoring of course! I think it hinders our overall play a bit, hopefully it's a tweak that we'll see less of when Salah and Mane return.

51 minutes ago, aws said:

The refs decided at the beginning of the season to clamp down on cheap penalties where the forward initiated the contact. That's exactly what the Cardiff player did. 

I don’t think it was a penalty but if it’s been given on the pitch, it wouldn’t have been overturned.

Same with the Keheller incident. It was more a bad tackle than a goal scoring incident. I think if a midfielder caught a player in the middle of the park with his studs up like that, he’d be sent off.

Anyhoo, it’s all irrelevant. IMO we’d have won even if we’d have to come from 0-1 down or with 10 men. It wasn’t a 5 star performance by any means, but I didn’t think for 1 second we wouldn’t win. 

12 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Hate?

Some certainly seem to have the knives out for him at pretty much any opportunity.

It's nothing new though, some people misconstrue enthusiasm towards local talent as undeserved praise and seem compelled to go overboard in the other direction. It's a bit weird, but there's always a few.

Just seeing the goals again. 

Poor from Bobby but really showed why cover/competition for Fabinho should be more important than another attacking midfielder this summer. Milner looked like he was running through concrete, Henderson/Thiago not mobile enough to do it regularly either. 

The way Curtis, Naby and Hendo (a repeat offender) kept leaning back when shooting was exasperating. You can understand it if they're running on to the ball under pressure and stretching for it, or the pass just comes too quickly, but they all had control of the ball and had plenty of space. It's just really poor for this level.

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

There couldn’t have been a stronger stench of “Championship” support today if Cardiff supporters used Championship mouthwash, Championship body wash, Championship deodorant and Championship after shave before they set off today. 

Same in this forest game now

11 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

The way Curtis, Naby and Hendo (a repeat offender) kept leaning back when shooting was exasperating. You can understand it if they're running on to the ball under pressure and stretching for it, or the pass just comes too quickly, but they all had control of the ball and had plenty of space. It's just really poor for this level.

It’s infuriating, Jones is a strange one, he has ability but he’s way too inconsistent and he’s far too nonchalant. Keita has absolutely zero presence and as far as I’m concerned very little ability, he’s been a disastrous signing.

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Same in this forest game now

“Champions of Europe, you’ll never sing that.” is superficially amusing until you realise its being sung in the main by men who weren’t born when Forest won the European Cup, and so they never have, nor will they ever sing it themselves.

• Upvote 3

Watching Virgil today, he's just a freak of nature, physically I've never seen a footballer like him for his size. The closest is Zidane whose balance for a big man and touch was unprecedented. We're so lucky to have him, he's incredible.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

I don’t know what we are trying to achieve with Jones. I don’t understand what role we are asking him to play. I genuinely don’t think he knows either. He holds play up, slows us down, and doesn’t release the ball quickly enough. He’s a shadow of the player who originally burst onto the scene.

Yeah, he's starting to worry me now. And he's never going to get a chance left of the front 3 now, where I think his natural position is.

What Jones needs is a loan where he gets to start every game. He’s obviously got talent, but he’s very inconsistent, as you’d expect from a 20 year old midfielder. He’s clearly petrified of making mistakes hence him taking the easy option almost every time.