Sign in to follow this  
NoelM

Michael Palin

I'm rewatching Michael Palins"Around the World in 80 Days", it looks so dated now. The audiobook is one of my absolute.favourites ever, he seems such a nice and adaptable man. The dhow episode when they cross the Arabian sea is genius.

• Upvote 3

Sorry guys, I'm a huge fan of his. I just wondered what people thought of him  in general, he seems a really decent and nice guy.

1 minute ago, NoelM said:

Sorry guys, I'm a huge fan of his. I just wondered what people thought of him  in general, he seems a really decent and nice guy.

Wait till Biggus Dickus hears of this 

• Like 1

Watching all his old documentaries in bed of an evening is great. 

I like Simon Reeve but he’s obviously a poor man’s Palin. I guess Palin pretty much invented a genre of TV when he started doing the travel stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah round the world in 80 days is great. Amazing how dated anything pre early 2000s can look. The jump in technology has been huge. Just look at the wire  it's all pagers and public phones. 

• Like 1

It's really dated but what's not dated is Palins ability to be likeable, he just gets on with people. A true national treasure.

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah round the world in 80 days is great. Amazing how dated anything pre early 2000s can look. The jump in technology has been huge. Just look at the wire  it's all pagers and public phones

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I walked past him in an office in London a few years back and he had a right good stare at me. It was weird.

I absolutely love his Himalaya programme though & he seems a decent sort other than the staring thing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m going to bed now and I’m gonna put a bit of Palin on iPlayer as a tribute to this thread. 

That’s a challenging wank 

He's great, the American woman in the grim reaper monty python scene, introducing the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band, Death Cab for Cutie, that boring man who likes weather meters and The Missionary. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That’s a challenging wank 

Seem to remember him travelling to Siberia or some shit in a helicopter that looked like it could fall out of the sky at any minute, and then meeting some haggard old woman who didn’t have any teeth. 

She’ll do for me.