You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Caoimhín Kelleher

Carradona

I think for next season he will rightly feel he is too good to be number 2. I think we should look to find him a nice loan, similar to how Chelsea handled Courtois by loaning him to a top team for two years before getting him back. Courtois grew a lot at Atleti and Kelleher has a huge ceiling. 

• Upvote 1

Penalty shoot outs are nerve challenging. I do belive the keeper shoud ocasionally not dive, but stay on his line. That puts more pressure on the next man, who knows he'll need to put his pen out of the keeper's reach. So maybe there's room for Kelleher to improve.

That being said, Kepa was doing the same, and that's the man Chelsea wanted between the sticks.

We shouldn't even be thinking of not having him in the squad next season. Every top team should have two class keepers so the whole season is not at risk of being fucked up by one serious injury. Give him the domestic cup games and the CL group games. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, aws said:

We shouldn't even be thinking of not having him in the squad next season. Every top team should have two class keepers so the whole season is not at risk of being fucked up by one serious injury. Give him the domestic cup games and the CL group games. 

This is true. Ali has missed a few crucial games - the least said the better about Adrián in the FA Cup and European Cup a couple of years ago.

With Queef, we can afford to lose the best keeper in the world for a few games and I don't shit my kecks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

He did save at least three penalties in earlier rounds, so to suggest he needs to learn how to do it is a bit wide of the mark.  

Absolutely. He's been very good saving penalties throughout his time at the club, it's weird how some seem to think it's a weakness. 

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This is true. Ali has missed a few crucial games - the least said the better about Adrián in the FA Cup and European Cup a couple of years ago.

With Queef, we can afford to lose the best keeper in the world for a few games and I don't shit my kecks.

Yes I agree, but second keepers tend to be older for a reason. Right now Kelleher, who is only 23, has to feel he is talented enough to start somewhere and grow as a footballer, I'm just saying, Id rather loan him than outright lose him. 

Very happy for the lad and he’s come on well from those first few games where he seemed to concede every shot at goal. Would’ve wanted him to save a pen to win it but scoring a pen to win it will have to do.

not at all wanting to be critical of him but just to recognise there’s growth needed from here: those 3 goals they had disallowed, the first he got a big paw on, but didn’t keep out. That one would probably have been a great save if made, but by it going in it looked a bit ropey.

The other two though, top keepers save them both, and he got nowhere near.

room to grow.

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Very happy for the lad and he’s come on well from those first few games where he seemed to concede every shot at goal. Would’ve wanted him to save a pen to win it but scoring a pen to win it will have to do.

not at all wanting to be critical of him but just to recognise there’s growth needed from here: those 3 goals they had disallowed, the first he got a big paw on, but didn’t keep out. That one would probably have been a great save if made, but by it going in it looked a bit ropey.

The other two though, top keepers save them both, and he got nowhere near.

room to grow.

He knew the players were offside and let the goals in for the banter 

On the penalty thing, he got much nearer to a few of theirs than Kepa did with ours yesterday. Fine margins. 

Agree that we certainly have to keep him, whether that involves a loan or an agreement that he plays a certain number of games. 

Very few snide comments about Achterberg on here these days too. It’s almost like the problem in the past was us not having very good players in the position.