You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (A) - Sun 23rd Jan 2022 (2:00pm)

Trumo

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Ice been slagging the standard of our corners off this season, I was amazed to see we are top of the table for goals scored from corners because most don't get past the near post. Get in Virgil 

This "can't beat the first man" does my head in, of course anyone that has 2 legs can beat the first man, smashing a ball at full force and dropping it 6 inches over his head is the hard bit. Getting a header on a corner that just beats the first man is a huge chance, hence why so many teams try it and so many sides look like they take shit corners. 

Hang on, hang on, hang on. Remember this penalty (Alisson on Barnes, Liverpool vs Burnley 2020/21)? Or this one (Reina on Park Ji-Sung, Manchester Utd vs Liverpool 2008/09)? I don't remember either warranting even the slightest discussion on MOTD or wherever. They were basically regarded as stonewallers.

But both are the exact same scenario as yesterday's. Forward running to a loose ball in the box. Makes slight contact ahead of the goalkeeper, but only to knock the ball out of play, not to bring it under control. Goalkeeper is second to the ball, ends up making contact with the attacker. In both the situations above there was never any consideration about what the ball may or may not have done after contact, or whether the player could have regained possession or whatever. It's contact in box = penalty. So why the fuck is Jota's any fucking different?

For what it's worth as an ex-keeper I've always hated the fact that a forward just has to get a toe on the ball first and then suddenly any contact you make is a penalty regardless of whether he's controlling the ball or not, but this is the way the rules are. Why are we being held to a different set of fucking standards? It's a nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Not all decisions are clear cut, that's just the way it is.  There will always be marginal decisions and matters that come down to interpretation. 

I don't think it was a penalty and would feel hard done by if the same decision was given against us in our penalty area.  But Kevin Friend was given the opportunity to look at it in slow motion numerous times, and came to a different conclusion.  He's a professional referee and came to his own decision.  Fair enough. 

Next week it'll be some other decision that everyone gets their Calvins in a knot over. 

20 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Brilliant first half but poor second half. Alisson saved us and that penalty was pretty embarrassing for me. I'm glad we got it but it was never a pen in a million years and highlighted how shit referees and VAR are. Every time you slow anything down it looks far worse and that was an example. I think even Klopp was a bit embarrassed by it,but relieved.

Why be embarrassed. We've had some right shitty end of the stick decisions from VAR sooner or later one was going to be in our favour.

The penalty is really not that unjust, it's just questionable. The "outrage" comes from the fact neutrals and people who hate us will say Palace deserved a result. It's likely not even really about the decision itself, it's the final outcome of the game.

By the way, people talk about the Premier League being bad, I find that ridiculous when you see what an average team like Palace could do in terms of pressing and intensity in the second half. That was a very very high level period from them. Lower table teams were not doing that in 2008, or whatever.

21 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Definite pen - watch it again he steps right as he was going to take it around the keeper, keeper brought him down - simple - pen.

Out of his playing distance and not under control. At match speed its no penalty but with VAR almost everything is a penalty or a red card. Not just us of course but almost everything that gets decided by VAR. It's a fuckin travesty.

42 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Out of his playing distance and not under control. At match speed its no penalty but with VAR almost everything is a penalty or a red card. Not just us of course but almost everything that gets decided by VAR. It's a fuckin travesty.

The ball bounces 3 times before it goes out, pretty sure even I would have got to it before it went out 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What's playing distance got to do with anything? Check out Milners foul on Havertz that Chelsea scored from. He lashed the ball out of play knowing he was about to be cleaned out of it. Nobody would question that being a foul.

I can't understand how anyone can even debate that penalty never mind the outrage. He flew out, didn't get the ball and took out his opponent, how can it not be a penalty?

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, No2 said:

What's playing distance got to do with anything? Check out Milners foul on Havertz that Chelsea scored from. He lashed the ball out of play knowing he was about to be cleaned out of it. Nobody would question that being a foul.

I can't understand how anyone can even debate that penalty never mind the outrage. He flew out, didn't get the ball and took out his opponent, how can it not be a penalty?

Opinions are a terrible thing. Like I say,I'd never have given it and the VAR delay was pathetic too. I despise it and it can't even get things right,including the Palace goal.