You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (A) - Sun 23rd Jan 2022 (2:00pm)

Trumo

Best thing ever would be winning the league on goal difference with that pen being the goal that tipped the balance. The earth’s temperature would rise a couple of degrees with all the boiling of the piss while Noel Gallagher writes a full album on the injustice of it all.

If there really is a football god, please make it so.

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Best thing ever would be winning the league on goal difference with that pen being the goal that tipped the balance. The earth’s temperature would rise a couple of degrees with all the boiling of the piss while Noel Gallagher writes a full album on the injustice of it all.

Now I’d buy that. Potentially doubling sales of his solo albums.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant first half but poor second half. Alisson saved us and that penalty was pretty embarrassing for me. I'm glad we got it but it was never a pen in a million years and highlighted how shit referees and VAR are. Every time you slow anything down it looks far worse and that was an example. I think even Klopp was a bit embarrassed by it,but relieved.

Why are some of you going on about the pen?

He fucking fouled him. Jota saw him coming and had to brace himself.

It's not stonewall, but it's the next level down from that.

We played better today than City have on several occasions this season.

We bossed the first half, and they edged it in the second. Big fucking deal.

Ali played well but his best save was offside, and his second best was his fault in the first place. That backheeled effort would have been cleared off the line by Robbo, most likely.

The stats show that we deserved the win.

The goals show we deserved the win.

We haven't been able to rotate players, particularly in midfield, and that's clearly caught up with us.

And we still won.

Without our 2 best attackers, and best ball playing midfielder.

Scoring 3.

Away from home.

We're going to win this fucking league.

• Upvote 4

We can all argue how shit the pen was when Mo or Sadio gets taken out with another stonewaller at Anfield that's not given because they all 'even themselves out' dont they?

After lineker, carragher, redknapp and no doubt garth Crooks will bellyach about it, I doubt Jota will get another penalty this season no matter how blatantly he's taken out after those gobshites have cryarsed about it.

• Upvote 2

When the bar for penalties is set as low as that one Brighton were awarded v us when Andy Robbo touched Wellbeck's foot then that today is a stonewall job.

Loving the fume over it but it is a pen.

If the keeper does not make the contact he makes then Jota gets to the ball he had pushed past him.

He might not be able to get a really good shot off from there but he'd deffo be able to get ball again to cut it back or cross or something....

So as the keeper making contact stopped him getting to ball and doing that its a pen.

31 minutes ago, m0e said:

Ali played well but his best save was offside, and his second best was his fault in the first place. That backheeled effort would have been cleared off the line by Robbo, most likely.

We haven't been able to rotate players, particularly in midfield, and that's clearly caught up with us.

And we still won.

Scoring 3.

Away from home.

Palace had higher expected goals than us in the end. They had more clear cut chances than we did. They easily could have gotten a result.

Maybe we still deserved to win, maybe we got away with it, it doesn't really matter. We were missing important players and one dominant half was enough.

29 minutes ago, an tha said:

When the bar for penalties is set as low as that one Brighton were awarded v us when Andy Robbo touched Wellbeck's foot then that today is a stonewall job.

Loving the fume over it but it is a pen.

If the keeper does not make the contact he makes then Jota gets to the ball he had pushed past him.

He might not be able to get a really good shot off from there but he'd deffo be able to get ball again to cut it back or cross or something....

So as the keeper making contact stopped him getting to ball and doing that its a pen.

Still think the Calvert Lewin one in the derby a few years back was the worst

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Or Gerrards villa beating Man City last game

Couldn’t give a crap if we win every game like this from now until the end of the season. Even then it might not be enough as we’d still be needing City to drop three points. But it’d make for a great end to the season if we could, and City’s resolve would be under real pressure, I think they’d crack first, but it’s unlikely to go that way.

As for the penalty, well, you win some, you lose some, and we’ve lost more than we’ve won so fuck ‘em.

I’d still love us to stick it to them in the CL more than anything else, preferably in the final, because that’s what their shithouse owners crave for the most, and the longer their “Champions Wall” or whatever they have keeps that at zero the better.

• Upvote 2

I don't know what is offside anymore. Players in offside positions are still influencing the play and not being called on it. It's a joke. 

And a classic 'you've seen them given' pen. Jota is looking for the contact, but the keeper still clattered him. 

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They easily could have gotten a result.

But they didn't.

It's very rare that we win without fully dominating the opposition, but that's going to happen occasionally, and HAS to happen occasionally to win this league.

We won a fair few games that we could or should have dropped points in when we won the league.

It was very similar to Spurs today, except the clear penalty was given this time.

Another win in London, Virgil remembering how to score from a corner, Ox and Fabinho stepping up again in Mo’s/Sadio’s absence and a penalty that’s irritated everybody else. I can think of worse ways to get three points. 

Also, it’s been a rarity this season that we’ve conceded and still won. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

And we still won.

Scoring 3.

Away from home.

Jota lost control and was never getting the ball and threw himself at the keeper whose momentum caused a collision. Because I'm a Liverpool fan I'm not going to defend shit officiating and appalling VAR use. I will always call out poor decisions regardless of whether we benefit or not.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Jota lost control and was never getting the ball and threw himself at the keeper whose momentum caused a collision. Because I'm a Liverpool fan I'm not going to defend shit officiating and appalling VAR use. I will always call out poor decisions regardless of whether we benefit or not.

He took his eye of the ball when he saw the keeper heading towards him.

If that was a defender doing it, you would 100% want the pen.

It's not a clear pen because he MAY have not got the ball, but it's a pen nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

If this doesn’t happen I’m going to be gutted now.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Firmino was offside and went up for the header  just before the Ox gola.

Yes, but Ox didn’t then pass to Firmino to score. That’s why he’s talking about the offside player being an active participant in the same phase of play. Their goal scorer was. Bobby was a bystander.

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Yes, but Ox didn’t then pass to Firmino to score. That’s why he’s talking about the offside player being an active participant in the same phase of play. Their goal scorer was. Bobby was a bystander.

This is partially correct for me. The law now states that a player becomes active when he touches the ball or gains and advantage from being in an offside position and Firmino didn't. I think that's horseshit but it's the modern interpretation.