You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RIP Peter Robinson

House of Dirk

55 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

It's amazing from that article and how much vision and business sense he had that we stagnated off the pitch and let the Mancs overtake us to earn money at the beginning of the 90s.

As they were exploiting every avenue possible to make extra money and expand the ground we as a club just seemed happy to be run like a corner shop. 

Its almost as if we just simply stopped and rested on our laurels despite being footballing business pioneers for so long.

I can remember Souness saying in an interview that he told Peter Robinson "God help us if that lot down the East Lancs ever get their act together"

Oh the irony of Souness saying that to Robinson.

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

It's amazing from that article and how much vision and business sense he had that we stagnated off the pitch and let the Mancs overtake us to earn money at the beginning of the 90s.

As they were exploiting every avenue possible to make extra money and expand the ground we as a club just seemed happy to be run like a corner shop. 

Its almost as if we just simply stopped and rested on our laurels despite being footballing business pioneers for so long.

I can remember Souness saying in an interview that he told Peter Robinson "God help us if that lot down the East Lancs ever get their act together"

I remember it well, Souey saying that about the mancs. Always baffled me why we were the first English club to wear sponsored shirts and then just sat back and did diddly squat on the sponsorship front.

13 hours ago, Baltar said:

I remember an interview of Peter back in the 90s in the old Liverpool club magazine and he said the one thing he would dearly love to see again is us winning the European Cup. I'm glad he got to see that twice more before he left us. RIP.

If I remember rightly, there was a story about him in Rome in 77. At the ground, there was a massive buffet laid on for the players, officials, etc. after the match. Loads of Reds fans were outside, celebrating the victory, and one of the players decided that they must be starving, so he opened the door and let them all pile in. Peter Robinson was being interviewed in the middle of the absolute pandemonium that followed. The journalist looked nervously around at the heaving mass of Reds and asked "Where's the trophy gone?" Robinson just said "Don't worry about that, they'll put it back."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Baltar said:

I remember an interview of Peter back in the 90s in the old Liverpool club magazine and he said the one thing he would dearly love to see again is us winning the European Cup. I'm glad he got to see that twice more before he left us. RIP.

Indeed. I remember that same article. At least he got 6 and 7 as well as number 20 in for good measure.

18 hours ago, an tha said:

Mancs were opening their 'megastore' whilst we had a fucking portacabin with about half a dozen things in it in the main stand car park.

Laughable

If I remember rightly, they became the first club to make more money from merchandise than matchday income even before the Premier League started.

Cunts.