You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF's Greatest Music Video - Round 1 - Group B

Bjornebye

The GF's Greatest Music Video - Round 1 - Group B  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

• Sweet Dream - Eurythmics
    • Ghost Town - The Specials
    • Do The Evolution - Pearl Jam
    • Baila Me - Gipsy Kings
    • There There - Radiohead
    • Duquesne Whistle - Bob Dylan

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/01/22 at 16:33

Ghost Town because no video can ruin that song, and Gypsy Kings, because I nominated it and even if I mostly find them slightly annoying, that video with its superb editing and imagery really makes the song better. 

Should have also gone for Sweet Dreams maybe. Radiohead and Dylan videos I don't think add to much to the songs on their own and I just cannot make myself to listen to Pearl Jam.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Ghost Town because no video can ruin that song, and Gypsy Kings, because I nominated it and even if I mostly find them slightly annoying, that video with its superb editing and imagery really makes the song better. 

Should have also gone for Sweet Dreams maybe. Radiohead and Dylan videos I don't think add to much to the songs on their own and I just cannot make myself to listen to Pearl Jam.

Negged for basing it on music quality

• Upvote 2

Decent group, this. Baila Me is cheesy fun with loads going on. Do the Evolution is quite smart (if some of the imagery is a little hackneyed). There There is far more interesting than the song. Ghost Town is moody as fuck and unlucky to miss out; Sweet Dreams edges it, because it's got cows. Duquesne Whistle is that rare mix of intelligent and cool.

9 hours ago, Remmie said:

Negged for basing it on music quality

You cannot separate it, video essentially works as an ad for the song. There are very few videos that are iconic in their own right, like that Robert Palmer one, or Dylan's (not this one, the famous one), and even then it is often rooted in the music. Other than that seldom achieved status, best you can get is that a video doesn't ruin a great song (you'd often hear artists saying they liked the video but it was not exactly what they envisaged their song would look like) or that you would prefer to watch a video of the song to listening to it.

A great video would add to the song, but for that you would again have to know both the song and the artist, unless it's Madonna. Whose videos are mostly great and I don't think many or any made it to the tournament. As didn't the Duran Duran videos , even though their entire career was largely based on, at the time, spectacular video production. Or Vienna, which I think also didn't make it, even though it is one of the first proper, ambitious music videos and the songs longevity owes much to the imagery which perfectly complements the atmosphere.

Anyway, which video is winning and why do you think that is?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

You cannot separate it, video essentially works as an ad for the song. There are very few videos that are iconic in their own right, like that Robert Palmer one, or Dylan's (not this one, the famous one), and even then it is often rooted in the music. Other than that seldom achieved status, best you can get is that a video doesn't ruin a great song (you'd often hear artists saying they liked the video but it was not exactly what they envisaged their song would look like) or that you would prefer to watch a video of the song to listening to it.

A great video would add to the song, but for that you would again have to know both the song and the artist, unless it's Madonna. Whose videos are mostly great and I don't think many or any made it to the tournament. As didn't the Duran Duran videos , even though their entire career was largely based on, at the time, spectacular video production. Or Vienna, which I think also didn't make it, even though it is one of the first proper, ambitious music videos and the songs longevity owes much to the imagery which perfectly complements the atmosphere.

How can a video ruin a song?

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He's just being awkward for the sake of it as usual mate. Most others are managing to cast a vote without any issue at all. 

I don't have any "issues". People ask me questions or comment on what I said, I try to reply and clarify. I'm sorry if you find that offensive. If you'd prefer, I will steer clear of your tournaments.

47 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't have any "issues". People ask me questions or comment on what I said, I try to reply and clarify. I'm sorry if you find that offensive. If you'd prefer, I will steer clear of your tournaments.

Don't be soft mate I'm not being serious. You do always tend to have a criticism of some sort but I'm not being serious at all pal.  All part of the fun you awkward cunt x 

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Don't be soft mate I'm not being serious. You do always tend to have a criticism of some sort but I'm not being serious at all pal.  All part of the fun you awkward cunt x 

I think you may be confusing criticism with opinions. And it's not like I am the only one with an occasional thought on this and that. 

It's all because I called you lazy and childish once, right?

8 hours ago, SasaS said:

I voted for the last 2 videos, Radiohead and Bob Dylan as they had the most interesting concepts. I thought the Dylan song was shit but the video kept me interested. 

• Upvote 1