You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: It is time for Curtis to take his game to the next level  

TLW

Jurgen Klopp says that it is time for Curtis Jones shed the potential tag and become a fine player in his own right.

There has been high hopes that the academy graduate to start to make big inroads and become a consistent member of the starting midfield rotation this season.

But unfortunately the 20 year-old who has made 59 appearances for his boyhood club has not been able to get any momentum into his campaign, suffering a serious eye injury from a freak incident at training along with a bout of COVID which saw him on the sidelines for the best part of two months in total.

The midfield set up has been one of much conjecture. James Milner is likely in the last few months of a illustrious 20 year professional career, while the future of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita are often talking points.

Both players have skillsets that are beneficial to the team when they are on top form, but the fact of the matter is that their consistency is often lacking and you can’t afford to have that when fighting for honours.

And then there is the Thiago dilemma, a wonderfully technical Footballer in full flow, but he just cannot seem to get his body right on a consistent basis.

Klopp is someone that doesn’t miss a beat when it comes to assessing players or a looming issue within the squad. 

And that’s why these comments are quite telling when it comes to Jones as you sense he wants the incumbents to feel the pressure from those below as the Mail reported.

image.png

“I love the boy and the potential he has but we have to come to the next steps now and make sure he fulfils the potential he has on the pitch very often. 

“You have these kind of conversations when you are not 100 per cent happy with the moment.

"He is very young but his potential is incredible and we both together have to find a way to show much more of him.

"It's an ongoing process with Curtis and me but I know he he had a tricky time a long time out with the eye and then after that Covid which was not helpful.

"But now we try to make sure he gets rhythm and can show how good he can actually be."

With the news that Harvey Elliott will be returning to full training this week, hopefully we can see the next generation of young Reds midfielders start to really make a name for themselves in the second half of this season and beyond.

View full article

He has to step up. I dont want the see the Henderson Milner combination to ever start a game again, it's like last of the summer wine midfield but the bicycle rolling down the hill has brakes. 

Jones needs to stop playing it safe constantly. I wouldn't want him to try mad shit all the time either but he can definitely offer more than he does if that's down to instruction or not.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He has to step up. I dont want the see the Henderson Milner combination to ever start a game again, it's like last of the summer wine midfield but the bicycle rolling down the hill has brakes. 

Jones needs to stop playing it safe constantly. I wouldn't want him to try mad shit all the time either but he can definitely offer more than he does if that's down to instruction or not.

Its unlikely his own decision. We prize ball retention. Ultimately he has to do what the gaffer says. 

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

He desperately needs a loan stint where he gets to start week in week out. Whatever we’re doing isn’t working. He’s regressed IMO.

All I can say to this is . . bollocks, especially considering he's been out for ages.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Its unlikely his own decision. We prize ball retention. Ultimately he has to do what the gaffer says. 

Well the manager is explicitly saying in the article here that they need more from Jones because he isn't showing his potential on a regular basis. So I reckon ball retention is the bare minimum for him.

• Upvote 1

I think Curtis is maybe the one player who hasn’t progressed as we’d like under Klopp’s leadership. And I might take some shit for this, but I think it’s somewhat because of Klopp (as well as some hard luck with injuries, etc.) 

He looks a bit conflicted between what he’s been told to do and what his natural game is. All of that je ne sais quoi that I thought was going to make him so special has been worked out of him, because of what Klopp demands of midfield players. 

I think Curtis could have been groomed as Bobby’s eventual successor. His finishing is great, he’s got the legs to do it, the skill and smarts to make stuff happen… not hampered in and muted in that midfield three as a functional workhorse

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

He desperately needs a loan stint where he gets to start week in week out.

4 hours ago, stringvest said:

Completely agree.  I also think he’d be a revelation in a team like Brentford or Southampton 

Who cares what he would look like in a lower table team - we need a midfielder for Liverpool. He is well on his way to becoming that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1