You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

HEAT

Section_31

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Pretty frigging great. 

You saw a guy, on the street, who's an ex con? 

I am....over-fucking-whelmed!

https://www.the-solute.com/the-shield-scenic-route-2-ronnie-in-sixty-seconds/

"I’ve made many comparisons to The Shield and the work of Michael Mann, and Ronnie is, hands down, the most Mannly of all this show’s characters. (Snell’s tight, focused performance is very much what you see in a Mann film from actors who are not Al Pacino.) Unlike most of The Shield’s characters, Mann’s characters are highly self-aware, to the point of delivering soliloquies about themselves. (They’re close to Shakespearian characters that way.) Ronnie has the ferocious competency and practicality of Mann’s characters (tiny tiny tiny spoiler: he also wears a suit damn well), he has the most self-awareness of any character on the Team, and, most importantly, he lives that awareness. Unlike Vic and Shane, Ronnie took Jimmy McElwain’s advice: “have no attachments, allow nothing to be in your life that you cannot walk out on in thirty seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner.”

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, J-V said:

McNabb talking about how they choreographed that scene is boss. It's on the special features but is probably on YouTube somewhere.

He basically said that the reason the robbers attack so aggressively is because the police, unlike the military, aren't trained to fight on the back foot. They're trained to swarm and overwhelm quickly because they virtually always have the upper hand. 

Once McCaully's crowd just go for the throat their line collapses. It's too drawer.

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think I know what they're looking at.

You wanna know what they're looking at?

Us.

The LAPD. The police department.

Gentlemen, we just got made.

Deffo one of my favourite films but this piece quoted is Pacino at his overacting best.

And when he says something about a nice arse.

Thought De Niro acted the shit out of him, Bobby at his most believable.

Mann wanted McCauley and Vincent from Collateral's clothing to be the same, as he said both men would have designed their appearance to be bland and unmemorable so they could come and go without being noticed.

McCauley also wears a digital watch, as he's more interested in being precise than stylish.

p39ts2mq8ds01.png

11 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Deffo one of my favourite films but this piece quoted is Pacino at his overacting best.

And when he says something about a nice arse.

Thought De Niro acted the shit out of him, Bobby at his most believable.

Pacino talks about this in the video above. He and Mann conceived of Hannah as an occasional coke head who uses drugs to keep hunting and actually filmed some shots that showed it which were subsequently cut. Hence the moments of slight mania in his portrayal. 

Think this is the 3rd or 4th Michael Mann re-visit? Manhunter being certainly another, which sort of muddies it for me, as I liked the original. Has the re-make had more money thrown at, given more time and resource, does it look and feel more polished? Absolutely, but I somehow prefer the original to the remake, just like Manhunter which morphed later into Silence of the Lambs, I'm drawn more to that glitzy, almost more Miami-vice episodeness to it all. 

Still a cracking story and action film though. I just prefer the original. 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

There are so many truly great scenes. And the multiple sub-plots are great too. The character of Waingro is superb, for example. And the casting is off the charts. Possibly the best cast film at every level I’ve ever seen. Jon Voight, Tom Noonan, Natalie Portman, etc. 

I hated that waingro character.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Pacino talks about this in the video above. He and Mann conceived of Hannah as an occasional coke head who uses drugs to keep hunting and actually filmed some shots that showed it which were subsequently cut. Hence the moments of slight mania in his portrayal. 

That explains it nicely.

Stunning movie.

Be prepared to walk away.

13 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Cinematography, set-pieces, atmosphere are all top notch, but I rewatched it again recently and stuff started to bug me.

Waingro being a serial killer is just odd. It's never revealed to the main characters, serves no purpose as we already hate him, and doesn't get resolved.

What I always took from that plot line was that it was trying to make you sympathetic to Neil's gang, i.e the notion that there's criminals and then there's 'criminals'. 

Neil repeatedly talks about things he does as being victimless crimes, when Van Zandt has his bonds stolen Neil says 'he's got insurance' and he says the same when they're robbing the bank, that the money is insured by the federal government.

But then you've got Waingrow who is essentially an animal, so I think it's set up for us to be rooting for Neil in the final few scenes where he's going to kill him, because we want him to.

There's a deft balancing act with crime capers because they need to make you sympathise with them even though they're doing heinous shit.

The Shield always pulled that off well, and in Heat they show Neil and his gangs as being genuine friends who go out on a limb for each other.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

What I always took from that plot line was that it was trying to make you sympathetic to Neil's gang, i.e the notion that there's criminals and then there's 'criminals'. 

Neil repeatedly talks about things he does as being victimless crimes, when Van Zandt has his bonds stolen Neil says 'he's got insurance' and he says the same when they're robbing the bank, that the money is insured by the federal government.

But then you've got Waingrow who is essentially an animal, so I think it's set up for us to be rooting for Neil in the final few scenes where he's going to kill him, because we want him to.

There's a deft balancing act with crime capers because they need to make you sympathise with them even though they're doing heinous shit.

The Shield always pulled that off well, and in Heat they show Neil and his gangs as being genuine friends who go out on a limb for each other.

That's what I took from it too. I just think it's totally unnecessary. Neil already wants to kill him, the viewer is fine with that, but then by the final reel the audience is privy to information that one of the protagonists isn't, so our reasons for wanting him dead differ. That's pretty odd in terms of the disconnect between audience and narrative.

The scene with Waingro and the brass is one of my favourites though. It's horribly foreboding, as the synth creeps in and we see the swastika on his chest. I think if Mann had gone with just that one scene it would've been fine, as all the characters are shown with their out of work relationships, giving us a greater insight into their character. But the cops all standing around the dead hooker afterwards, spelling out in absurdly obvious terms that he's a serial killer was too heavy handed and unnecessary in my opinion.

At uni we used to have computer lab sessions after the lecture and one lad was moaning that we were doing Java as he preferred C+, and this Spanish research assistant was saying how it was good to learn new skills as what was in demand now, might not be in demand in a couple of years. 

And I said: 'True, a tutor at Halton College told me one time, don't get attached to any programming language you are not prepared walk away from in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.' Neither of them got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

At uni we used to have computer lab sessions after the lecture and one lad was moaning that we were doing Java as he preferred C+, and this Spanish research assistant was saying how it was good to learn new skills as what was in demand now, might not be in demand in a couple of years. 

And I said: 'True, a tutor at Halton College told me one time, don't get attached to any programming language you are not prepared walk away from in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.' Neither of them got it.

Are you still a virgin?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Cinematography, set-pieces, atmosphere are all top notch, but I rewatched it again recently and stuff started to bug me.

Waingro being a serial killer is just odd. It's never revealed to the main characters, serves no purpose as we already hate him, and doesn't get resolved.

That’s why I like it. Feels like there’s a whole other film in there that’s untold. 

• 5 months later...