You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

HEAT

Section_31

On 16/01/2022 at 13:48, Babb'sBurstNad said:

That's what I took from it too. I just think it's totally unnecessary. Neil already wants to kill him, the viewer is fine with that, but then by the final reel the audience is privy to information that one of the protagonists isn't, so our reasons for wanting him dead differ. That's pretty odd in terms of the disconnect between audience and narrative.

The scene with Waingro and the brass is one of my favourites though. It's horribly foreboding, as the synth creeps in and we see the swastika on his chest. I think if Mann had gone with just that one scene it would've been fine, as all the characters are shown with their out of work relationships, giving us a greater insight into their character. But the cops all standing around the dead hooker afterwards, spelling out in absurdly obvious terms that he's a serial killer was too heavy handed and unnecessary in my opinion.

Don't they also use him a trap though?

That's the bit I couldn't get my head around as he is an utter monster but they are using him to bring him mauley.

Outstanding film

The bit where pacino hugs the mum of the dead girl os superb.

Val kilmer is also excellent in it.

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Don't they also use him a trap though?

That's the bit I couldn't get my head around as he is an utter monster but they are using him to bring him mauley.

Outstanding film

The bit where pacino hugs the mum of the dead girl os superb.

Val kilmer is also excellent in it.

The cops don't know he's a monster though, just that he double-crossed McCauley. Even Van Zant doesn't know he's a serial killer. It's such an odd aside.

Always thought it was weird how McCauley first tries to take out Waingro too. Here's a slick career criminal, who meticulously plans things, and his idea for clipping Waingro is to make a big scene in a restaurant, smash his head on the table, then shoot him in a public parking lot just outside. It doesn't follow the logic of the character.

• 3 months later...
On 16/07/2022 at 15:48, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The cops don't know he's a monster though, just that he double-crossed McCauley. Even Van Zant doesn't know he's a serial killer. It's such an odd aside.

Always thought it was weird how McCauley first tries to take out Waingro too. Here's a slick career criminal, who meticulously plans things, and his idea for clipping Waingro is to make a big scene in a restaurant, smash his head on the table, then shoot him in a public parking lot just outside. It doesn't follow the logic of the character.

I agree. That and his daughter trying to kill herself were unnecessary subplots. Those are the only two things I didn’t like, though, everything else was excellent.

I watched it last night and considering doing so again tonight.

On 15/01/2022 at 22:23, KMD7 said:

So many great/funny scenes.

This is false.

Yeah there's loads about Heat that doesn't make sense to be fair. Like the way Hanna goes to see the informant who works for Van Zandt (he's an innocent civilian and simply a police informant as far as Hanna knows at the point) and Hanna blows the hinges off his door with a shotgun and cracks him in the face with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to put Hanna's CV from the car scene with Nate on my LinkedIn.

Results driven 

People oriented 

Graduate school, marine corps.

Lieutenant in Robbery-Homicide, major crimes unit.

Blew away Frankie Yonder in Chicago and he was a fucking maniac.

• Upvote 2

On 06/11/2022 at 14:59, Section_31 said:

I always wanted to put Hanna's CV from the car scene with Nate on my LinkedIn.

Results driven 

People oriented 

Graduate school, marine corps.

Lieutenant in Robbery-Homicide, major crimes unit.

Blew away Frankie Yonder in Chicago and he was a fucking maniac.

3 marriages, what the fuck you think that means?

He likes staying home? 

He's one of those guys, dedicated like, reading every Rashid post.

You neg first.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...