You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 0 Arsenal 0 - Match Reaction

tlw content

It's all to play for next week in the second leg as the Reds served up a stinking performance in being held to a goalless draw by ten man Arsenal.

Your host Chris Smith is joined by TLW Editor Dave Usher to discuss what went wrong and what needs to change next week. What was with that midfield selection? What's up with Trent? How much of this was down to not having Sadio and Mo?

Plus the lads look ahead to the weekend's clash with Brentford at Anfield.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Trent "not happening". He was in no mans land all game.

Made us so narrow - he was virtually playing central attacking midfield and getting in the way

I agree, made the same point in the match report. Neco came on and stayed wide, trying to get round the back and get crosses in. Trent was stood next to Hendo for most of the game.

I’ve bitten the bullet and listened to the first 15 or so minutes. I’ll get the rest later. But I wanted to mention something Chris brought up about early substitutions.  I agree with him totally, but would go further.

I found it interesting when Chris mentioned “etiquette” around taking someone off during the first half, and Dave immediately said “should have changed at half time”. I’m still astonished that there is that etiquette out there, as there clearly is, in football.  The Irish lads on here will tell you that in Gaelic Football changes after 20 mins are fairly commonplace. If somethings not working it gets changed bloody quickly. And there’s no stigma to it. The player comes off and that’s that. Perfectly normal. 

This match was the prime example where Milner should have been off and Jones or Ox on the second Arsenal went down to 10 men. As Chris said, the circumstances have completely changed, so react and change too. However, not changing it at half time is totally inexcusable. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I agree, made the same point in the match report. Neco came on and stayed wide, trying to get round the back and get crosses in. Trent was stood next to Hendo for most of the game.

If you play against 5 at the back, then you have to stay wide. This drags the wing-back out and creates gaps. 

Even if our full back/winger doesn't touch the ball, it means they can't camp 5 defenders and 3/4 midfielders across the width of the 18yd box. 

48 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’ve bitten the bullet and listened to the first 15 or so minutes. I’ll get the rest later. But I wanted to mention something Chris brought up about early substitutions.  I agree with him totally, but would go further.

I found it interesting when Chris mentioned “etiquette” around taking someone off during the first half, and Dave immediately said “should have changed at half time”. I’m still astonished that there is that etiquette out there, as there clearly is, in football.  The Irish lads on here will tell you that in Gaelic Football changes after 20 mins are fairly commonplace. If somethings not working it gets changed bloody quickly. And there’s no stigma to it. The player comes off and that’s that. Perfectly normal. 

This match was the prime example where Milner should have been off and Jones or Ox on the second Arsenal went down to 10 men. As Chris said, the circumstances have completely changed, so react and change too. However, not changing it at half time is totally inexcusable. 

If a boxer breaks a rib or has a bad cut, you don't just continue with your same line of attack. You look to press home that advantage by changing your line of attack and targeting the weakness. We just didn't do that. Sometimes we are not ruthless enough and I think it's a criticism you can level at this team in general. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

If a boxer breaks a rib or has a bad cut, you don't just continue with your same line of attack. You look to press home that advantage by changing your line of attack and targeting the weakness. We just didn't do that. Sometimes we are not ruthless enough and I think it's a criticism you can level at this team in general. 

So you’re saying we should have gone after Kieran Tierney’s dodgy ankle?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

If you play against 5 at the back, then you have to stay wide. This drags the wing-back out and creates gaps. 

Even if our full back/winger doesn't touch the ball, it means they can't camp 5 defenders and 3/4 midfielders across the width of the 18yd box. 

Agreed. You've also got to move the ball quickly and accurately if nothing else to tire the 9 outfield players. But we did neither and moved the ball slowly giving the arsenal players time to cover.

We did the same in the chelsea and Atelti (thanks Arnaud!) games. Did Dave state we had 17 'shots' last night with one on target? Im surprised we have been credited with 17 because apart from Taki's miss, I dont recall any others that could be described as 'shots.' I dont remember Ramsdale (no Idea why I keep calling him Ramsden!) having to make a save?

• dave u unpinned this topic