You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford (H) - Sun 16th Jan 2022 (2:00pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Bobby was dropping back arguably too far back looking for ball....thing is though he does this a lot when playing with mane and salah too - difference is when he gets it there and they are playing he then looks up and sees them making clever runs/showing for it/offering support, and he links play with them and in a threatening manner.

On Thurs there was none of that available and there was no link up/threat.

We either need the other players to be doing that like Mane and Salah do or Bobby needs to change how he plays to fit with what we have whilst they are away.

Its very difficult either way...a huge problem for us. We were toothless because of this big disconnect.

I'd argue we need a formation tweak whilst they are away....it just isn't like for like and the players are not round pegs in round holes trying to play where and how Mane and Salah play.

Jota was coming deeper than Firmino.  Firmino was ineffective and the last time he was any good in the role you’re suggesting was about 3 years ago. I think they should actually play him in a midfield role today, let Jota play central, flanked by young lads who will hold their width, and play Oxlade in the other midfield role. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Jota was coming deeper than Firmino.  Firmino was ineffective and the last time he was any good in the role you’re suggesting was about 3 years ago. I think they should actually play him in a midfield role today, let Jota play central, flanked by young lads who will hold their width, and play Oxlade in the other midfield role. 

Jota was dropping deep too agreed.

It boils down to fact that he isn't a wide forward ala Mane or Salah...and isn't suited to being asked to play in a 3 they aren't in.

The answers are not easy as we have no like for like replacements for them - We need to find answers fast though or a chance of a cup final is gonna be gone and frankly even winning today could be a tough tough ask.

Jota needs to go central for me and stay central - the problem is who plays wide...i wouldn't trust any of the options we have left really.

Jota and Origi (if he is alive still) as a more traditional front 2 maybe with Bobby behind?....

I hope we go:

...................Allison..............

Trent.....Matip..Vvd....Tsimikas

...Ox........Fabinho.....Jones......

...Gordon.....Firmino.....Jota...

and let them worry about us... I fear it'll be:

...................Allison..............

Trent..Matip..Vvd...Robertson

...Henderson...Fab...Jones....

Jota.....Firmino....Minamino