You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

Caught up on some December fights, last night.

1) Conlan/Gill. Very watchable fight. Conlan’s resistance seems to have been fatally breached, but he still has a lot of heart and some craft. I thought he was winning most of the rounds, but obviously was on the verge of being stopped the whole fight. I don’t think it’s necessarily the end, but he’ll have to be managed very carefully.

2) Edwards/Rodriguez. Much more action than I thought there’d be and that was mostly because of Sunny’s stupid strategy. Planting his feet was a disaster tactically and played into the hands of the much better offensive fighter. I think Bam is outstanding, but we didn’t really see him have to go to a different level and he had it mostly his own way. After the damage that was done, I can’t believe Sunny was back chirping on social media the next day.

3) I had no idea McGrail had been knocked out. He was dominating up till that point and didn’t really do anything wrong. He’s seemed a special talent every time I’ve seen him and I see they’re having a rematch in Liverpool, April 27th. 

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/39519630/sources-taylor-catterall-jr-welterweight-rematch-april-27

Josh Taylor and Jack Catterall have agreed to a junior welterweight rematch April 27 at First Direct Arena in Leeds, England, sources told ESPN.

The fight will be on ESPN+ in the United States, and DAZN elsewhere outside of Canada, sources said.

When they met in Scotland in February 2022, Taylor (19-1, 13 KOs) retained his undisputed junior welterweight championship with a controversial split-decision victory over Catterall, who entered the ring as a major underdog.

Catterall (28-1, 13 KOs) dropped Taylor in Round 8 and cut him over the left eye. The decision led to more bad blood between Scotland's Taylor and England's Catterall, who signed on for an immediate rematch that has been postponed two times.

Taylor-Catterall 2 was set for February 2023 before a scheduling conflict delayed the bout last March. Then, Taylor suffered a torn plantar fascia, which seemed to doom the bout for good.

Rather than reschedule the rematch, Taylor signed on to defend his lineal 140-pound championship against Teofimo Lopez in June in New York, a fight where Taylor was soundly defeated via decision. The decision to forgo the rematch further exacerbated the personal issues between Taylor and Catterall.

The 33-year-old Taylor -- who vacated three of his four titles to proceed with the Catterall rematch -- said after the Lopez defeat that he planned to move up to 147 pounds. But this fight with Catterall will again be contested at the 140-pound limit, sources said, even with no title on the line.

"Today I should have been waking up with all of the belts," Catterall said on Instagram the day after the fight with Taylor. "Boxing, shame on you. ... Dreams stolen."

Catterall, 30, has fought twice since that lone title challenge, victories last year over Darragh Foley and former champion Jorge Linares, who retired after Catterall outpointed him.

Taylor's only fight since the win over Catterall came against Lopez, his first pro defeat.

"It wasn't my best performance, and I've put a lot of pressure on myself being heavy favorite and boxing back at home ... but once I started catching him, I believe I got the win 100 percent," Taylor said afterward. "I know I won the fight; overall I scored the bigger shots and the more meaningful shots. He put up a good fight, but he never won the fight. Second half of the fight I took control."

• Downvote 1

Been shit on both fighters that result from the first one. Taylor planned to move up after that didn’t he? Then vacated belts to try and get a rematch going which has fallen through twice and been soundly beaten by Lopez, which wasn’t surprising as he looked done at 140 for a good 2 or 3 fights I think it was.

Catterall has added a couple of names to his list of wins, but back end of career fights, so been in purgatory a bit while he waits. 

Catterall to win this I think - Taylor looks spent - if at 147 I’d have it the other way round though 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Very surprised it is on at 140.

Really strange. Can only imagine Taylor wants to wipe out the doubt of the first fight and sail into the sunset. Maybe a big money post best fight before he goes

• Upvote 1