You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Last night might suggest Khan was wise to avoid Brook until he needed a last top-up of the pension pot. Both fighters have been a credit to British boxing and even if neither fight again they will go down in history as two of the best we have ever produced. Do find it odd that the two guys themselves can forget the animosity and find peace with each other, but random supporters on the internet can't let it go.

I'm not convinced Khan took the fight for the money.

The Saudis paid him $5m to fight Billy Dib. As the most prominent Muslim fighter in the sport, they'd have paid him a lot more to fight someone who actually mattered and was in the same weight. The Yanks gave him $5m to fight Crawford, in that year, as well. With his reputation, I think he could easily have conned Sky into giving him a few easy tune ups for big money and then leveraged that "momentum" into bigger money fights with Spence, Thurman or Ortiz and Ennis when they come of age. I think something changed during Covid, or he mistimed how shot Brook actually was.

54 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

@KMD7 @Dr Nowt @Captain Turdseye

This has been lost to time a bit, but Eubank getting Eubanked by Sherry in the 8th round(40:05) is glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUX0ZD9YXEk

Ha! Remember watching it live. Sitting through a couple of rounds now brought back just how painful Eubank was to watch in some of those fights post-Benn 1. Really did need a dance partner.

Good to see Sonny from Dead Man’s Shoes popping up between rounds 7 and 8, he fought Stretch next if I remember rightly.

Need it be said, Sherry subsequently became a showreel knockout for Nigel.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

This has been lost to time a bit, but Eubank getting Eubanked by Sherry in the 8th round(40:05) is glorious:

Had completely passed me by that. 

Was Sherry trying to get him disqualified at the end there? No way that headbutt caused any sort of damage like he was suggesting. Pretty embarrassing. F**tb*ll level rolling around and play acting 

Quote from an article someone did with Sherry I found when looking into that fight was interesting:

“Although Sherry appeared to outbox the defending champion with consummate ease in the early rounds, he admits, “When he hit me in the first round, I knew I was in a fight. That was key for me because , after I got hit by him I said to myself , ‘There’s no way I’m getting hit again!’ Because Eubank packed a hell of a punch and I wasn’t going to be anyone’s whipping boy.

Early in the first round, I noticed his footwork sucked. He was phenomenal if I went to him, he’d have knocked me out in a heartbeat but he had no footwork moving forward…and then I started talking to him!”

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Champ said:

He’th gonna thmath ‘im

Apologies. We like to have a bit of fun at Kell’s expense at ours.

This was one of the replies I got from my boy earlier yesterday…

Itth on thky thporth bocth offith itll cotth ecthra

• Upvote 1

Just watched the post fight press conference and they asked about the sparring again, and khan goes “I actually can’t even remember the sparring. Made a good story though” and winked at the journalists. Was great.

He had his hand slung into his hoodie as well - wouldn’t take it out for hand shakes or anything

8 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Ha! Remember watching it live. Sitting through a couple of rounds now brought back just how painful Eubank was to watch in some of those fights post-Benn 1. Really did need a dance partner.

Good to see Sonny from Dead Man’s Shoes popping up between rounds 7 and 8, he fought Stretch next if I remember rightly.

Need it be said, Sherry subsequently became a showreel knockout for Nigel.

Was pretty interesting when Sky had Roy Jones on with all the British supermiddleweights of the 90s a few years back. Eubank said he personally wanted no part of Jones, at the time, which totally makes sense. Jones would have used his atleticism from the outside as Eubank tried to engage in a terrible clear decision for Jones. It was surprising that Eubank was smart enough not to chase that fight.

You can never go wrong watching Benn. He comes to get it. It's kill or be killed with Benn and he'd have earned £100m if he was fighting today; in fact that entire era would be in drowning in money. A prime Eubank with social media and Eddie Hearn promoting would be the biggest star in the country.

With Benn, whenever I want to watch some boxing on youtube and I'm a little lost on what to watch, I always fall back to 5 guys: Morales, Holyfield, Gatti, Benn and Morrison. An absolute guarantee of violence and that vulnerability that makes the crowd roar and you feel alive.

6 hours ago, Belarus said:

Had completely passed me by that. 

Was Sherry trying to get him disqualified at the end there? No way that headbutt caused any sort of damage like he was suggesting. Pretty embarrassing. F**tb*ll level rolling around and play acting 

100%. It was a dive. He was trying to steal the title. That doesn't detract from that moment when he started pompously strutting around in the 8th, though. I wish I knew how to make Gifs, because it's sensational.

6 hours ago, Champ said:

Apologies. We like to have a bit of fun at Kell’s expense at ours.

This was one of the replies I got from my boy earlier yesterday…

Itth on thky thporth bocth offith itll cotth ecthra

I like you, Cath, but mocking someone for a speech impediment is a bit shan.

• Upvote 1

Was pretty interesting when Sky had Roy Jones on with all the British supermiddleweights of the 90s a few years back. Eubank said he personally wanted no part of Jones, at the time, which totally makes sense. Jones would have used his atleticism from the outside as Eubank tried to engage in a terrible clear decision for Jones. It was surprising that Eubank was smart enough not to chase that fight.

You can never go wrong watching Benn. He comes to get it. It's kill or be killed with Benn and he'd have earned £100m if he was fighting today; in fact that entire era would be in drowning in money. A prime Eubank with social media and Eddie Hearn promoting would be the biggest star in the country.

With Benn, whenever I want to watch some boxing on youtube and I'm a little lost on what to watch, I always fall back to 5 guys: Morales, Holyfield, Gatti, Benn and Morrison. An absolute guarantee of violence and that vulnerability that makes the crowd roar and you feel alive.

100%. It was a dive. He was trying to steal the title. That doesn't detract from that moment when he started pompously strutting around in the 8th, though. I wish I knew how to make Gifs, because it's sensational.

I like you, Cath, but mocking someone for a speech impediment is a bit shan.

I know I’m trying to justify myself and maybe there’s no justifying it but it’s really a just a send up of what we see as the ludicrous trash talking that goes on between boxers, hyped by the likes of the promoters and Sky. He’s not alone in that.

I would never dream of mocking someone personally for any kind of difference.

Or is that what we’re doing?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Decent weekend of sport. 

Scotland v France and England v Wales in the rugger

A few decent league games and our final in the footy

Taylor card on Saturday and Okolie card on DAZN on Sunday.

NZ V south Africa in cricket

Bits of MMA and rugby league too.

111C1E8E-262E-4864-B1ED-2C1F96AF8CC2.gif

Canelo’s fights with Bivol(May) and GGG(September) are now official. Both be on Dazn at no extra charge. I’m weighing up going to GGG one if the world has calmed down.

How do you see the GGG fight going Kev? Wonder what weight they'll fight at.