You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who's your favourite footballer ever?

Boss

Domestically, the first opponents I really admired were the great Leeds team. Yeah, they were thugs at times and our biggest rivals but Jesus they could play. My old man and his mates probably influenced me somewhat because they revered Giles and Bremner and I guess at a young age the older football fans really influence you. 

Brady and Hoddle were two players I loved. Don't ask me why but I had a soft spot for Charlie George who seemed like a bit of a Cockney loon and Stan Bowles as well. I liked those kind of maverick players. Every team seemed to have a few.

Loved Diego but the great Brazilian and Dutch teams of the 70s were my first international love. 

• Upvote 2

McManaman as a kid. Him and Ian Wright were my favourites. Fowler just behind them. At this point, Gerrard. Probably still a little early to say Virgil, but what a player he is as well.

Del Piero is my obligatory Football Italia-based pick.

7 hours ago, Pidge said:

McManaman as a kid. Him and Ian Wright were my favourites. Fowler just behind them. At this point, Gerrard. Probably still a little early to say Virgil, but what a player he is as well.

Del Piero is my obligatory Football Italia-based pick.

McManaman and Del Piero are probably my picks as well. 

Del Piero or Iniesta anyway for the non Liverpool player. 

Jari Litmanen. As A kid I used to buy World Soccer magazine and I read about this amazing Ajax player from a place I'd never heard of with a cool name. So from then on I followed his career. Loved watching him in the Champions League. Really wanted him to join Liverpool so was gutted when he left on a free to Barcelona. 

A couple of years later I had finished work in town and picked up the Echo only to see we had signed him. Never been happier with a signing and I loved the way it came out of the blue, not like these days. 

When he made his debut you could just tell that he was on another level to the other players when it came to awareness on the pitch. His weight of pass and how he seemed to have a lot of time on the ball. 

It never really worked out for him here and its such a shame we didn't sign him years earlier. Apparently Roy Evans wanted him but couldn't get it done due to lack of funds. 

• Upvote 2

I grew up idolizing Ian StJohn, he epitomized the Shankly spirit. I missed seeing most of Kenny's career living in the football black hole that was Australia in the 70s and 80s but I was lucky enough to be home in 79 to witness his genius. Sir Kenny the man is so much more than just a footballer.

Non Liverpool? Fuck 'em, hate them all except maybe Cruyff.

• Upvote 2

On 12/01/2022 at 10:07, Street Preacher said:

Jari Litmanen. As A kid I used to buy World Soccer magazine and I read about this amazing Ajax player from a place I'd never heard of with a cool name. So from then on I followed his career. Loved watching him in the Champions League. Really wanted him to join Liverpool so was gutted when he left on a free to Barcelona. 

A couple of years later I had finished work in town and picked up the Echo only to see we had signed him. Never been happier with a signing and I loved the way it came out of the blue, not like these days. 

When he made his debut you could just tell that he was on another level to the other players when it came to awareness on the pitch. His weight of pass and how he seemed to have a lot of time on the ball. 

It never really worked out for him here and its such a shame we didn't sign him years earlier. Apparently Roy Evans wanted him but couldn't get it done due to lack of funds. 

I remember a mate of mine, a Southampton fan, coming in to the pub after the match saying what a player he'd seen, though a bit bow legged, i was pissed off too when he left. A Reds fan too i believe? 

I cant really choose a favourite player from any club as there's that many but I'll say one has to be Terry Mac for us and Jairzinho for Brazil who i liked as a kid, someone mentioned Iniesta which is a good shout. 

44 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I remember a mate of mine, a Southampton fan, coming in to the pub after the match saying what a player he'd seen, though a bit bow legged, i was pissed off too when he left. A Reds fan too i believe? 

I cant really choose a favourite player from any club as there's that many but I'll say one has to be Terry Mac for us and Jairzinho for Brazil who i liked as a kid, someone mentioned Iniesta which is a good shout. 

Yeah he did mention he was a fan growing up and originally wanted the number 7 shirt as Kenny was his favourite. 

He didn't seem like a natural athlete but his football brain combined with his technique was what made him a great player. 

It wasn't meant to be as I don't think the Houllier tactics got the best out of him and by then I think injuries had caught up with him. 

15 minutes ago, Street Preacher said:

Yeah he did mention he was a fan growing up and originally wanted the number 7 shirt as Kenny was his favourite. 

He didn't seem like a natural athlete but his football brain combined with his technique was what made him a great player. 

It wasn't meant to be as I don't think the Houllier tactics got the best out of him and by then I think injuries had caught up with him. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what is age was but no spring chicken, a shame as we'll never know what impact he would of made if we had him a bit earlier in his career, quite a big impact i would say. 

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what is age was but no spring chicken, a shame as we'll never know what impact he would of made if we had him a bit earlier in his career, quite a big impact i would say. 

He was actually only 29 when we signed him so he should really have had years of quality left in him but I think i read he had dodgy knees/ankles. 

I think if we had signed him in 96 or 97 it would have transformed us as Fowler or Owen would have thrived under that type of player. 

Just now, Street Preacher said:

He was actually only 29 when we signed him so he should really have had years of quality left in him but I think i read he had dodgy knees/ankles. 

I think if we had signed him in 96 or 97 it would have transformed us as Fowler or Owen would have thrived under that type of player. 

Your right there. 

On 12/01/2022 at 10:07, Street Preacher said:

I loved Jari too. You could see from his solo warm up exercises with the ball thae he had a fantastic touch and was a brilliant technical player. Obviously he had injury problems that were ongoing and even at 29 his career was coming to an end. To be fair to Houllier I think he wanted another Gary Mac to be a role model for our young strikers and wanted quality back up forwards too. It just didnt work out for Jari but it was nice to have him here.