You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Given: Kelleher should look for a loan move in January

TLW

Caoimhin Kelleher should look to gain more first-team experience by making a loan move in the January transfer window according to Shay Given.

In this campaign, the Irish international has already made the same number of appearances he made during the whole of last season (five), and received deserved praise for his performances in high profile fixtures against Leicester in the Carabao Cup and the league fixture against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

While at only 23, he has still got a lot to learn in his craft, on the face of it Kelleher has a terrific unflappable temperament, something that is all-important for a goalkeeper.

But the truth of the matter is that when fit Alisson is indisputably the number one keeper at the club.

And it is that reason why his countryman has raised the topic of Kelleher needing to look at his options in the short term.

image.png

The Echo via Premier Sport reported the former Newcastle, Aston Villa and Man City custodian as saying:

“He's in a bit of a predicament Kelleher;

"He's 23 years old, I'm trying to bring myself back to when I was that age and I'm not sure how many games I would have played, but I think he has only played ten or 11 games.

"He's not a kid anymore, 23 is an age where I think he should be playing regular first team football.

"The biggest problem he has is that. Alisson is ahead of him. Alisson is in the prime of his life and could be for the next five or six years. Does Kelleher sit there and be happy as a number two? They've got Adrian who can sit on the bench and back [Alisson] up.

“ For me, it's so important to play games. He has been training there for a few years and signed a new five-year contract last summer, so he is part of the club's long-term future.

"Even from a Liverpool point of view, they need to get him out playing, get him that experience, then bring him back and get him challenging Alisson."

Following on with a similar topic, and Liverpool goalkeeping coach John Achterberg hopes that Loris Karius can find another club in the next few weeks.

Karius currently sits fourth in the pecking order and barring a injury or illness crisis, stands next to no chance in adding to his 49 appearances for the Reds.

Achterberg  basically said that Karius is wasting his career by not looking for a solution.

image.png

“In the end it’s down to him, his agent and the club to try to find a solution,"

"Hopefully there will be one this month.

"It doesn’t help anyone to sit for another six months without the feeling that you are really fighting for something. That’s not going to improve him.

"He needs to use his quality to make a career now. Loris has a lot of good qualities. If not he will train with us until the end of his contract.

Achterberg said when it comes to future keeping prospects, there is always hope for them at the club.

"If Loris goes then we will look to bring one up from the academy again... we are always looking for who might be the next one to come up.

“Our aim is to keep creating our own goalies. To do that we need to keep improving both our scouting and our ways of working to find them and then develop them."

View full article

He needs to play for a club that actually tries to win if he goes on loan and that's the biggest challenge to finding him somewhere to be loaned out. What's the point in going to some shite clogger operation where he will face an aerial bombardment each week? Given can fuck off as well the massive twat.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Einch said:

He needs to play for a club that actually tries to win if he goes on loan and that's the biggest challenge to finding him somewhere to be loaned out. What's the point in going to some shite clogger operation where he will face an aerial bombardment each week? Given can fuck off as well the massive twat.

Maybe Alisson should be loaned out to toughen him up on corners?

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Like Kelleher a lot. If we loan him, we have to have a clause that we get him back straight away because Ali gets injured fairly regularly.

I don't think the loan rules allow that. I think you can insist on a break clause in January but that's it. 

He might have a point if Alisson wasn't so susceptible to injuries. The ten games a season Kelleher is likely to get here will benefit him more than playing regularly in most other places. It's not that unlikely he could end up playing in a European Cup semi-final or similar for us depending on Ali's availability. Why would we allow a situation where Adrian might have to step in?

He's won two cup shoot-outs for us already and has made plenty of crucial saves in games. His distribution is decent too. Of course, he'll make mistakes at some point. 

Anyway, it's a great situation for us to have a proper back-up keeper. The biggest compliment I can make is that we don't miss Alisson that much when he plays.