You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Shrewsbury 1 (Jan 9 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Bit of a strange one. For long spells I thought we looked really flat and lifeless, but we had enough quality to get the job done easily enough despite the early scare. All things considered, this was probably as good as we could have expected and there were plenty of positives to come from it.

The young lads did well, Fabinho, Virgil and Konate got a run out which will help them with their sharpness, Bobby and Taki are back just at the right time, and of course we’re in the hat for the next round. So I’m happy enough overall.

The team selection was odd to say the least but I think we all expected it was going to look a bit mad because of the crazy week we’d had. The training ground closed, loads of players reportedly testing positive, an u18 game cancelled because we were going to need some of those players for this game. We didn’t know who had COVID and who didn’t so predicting the line up was hard. 

I assumed Virgil, Curtis and Fabinho would play as they’ve recently had it so should be fine. I also thought Alisson, Bobby and Joel would be back. Two of them were in the squad but no Alisson. Hopefully that’s just because he’s excused FA Cup duty and not because he’s still suffering. Other than that though it was anyone’s guess. There had even been rumours that Karius was going to play, but Kelleher and Adrian were both available so we were spared that. In a way I kind of wanted him to play as it would have been nice for him to not have the Madrid game as his final match for us. 

As it turned out we were strong at the back but really inexperienced up top. The worry you have when playing lower league sides is if they go alehouse and rough you up a bit. Some play like that but these days it’s becoming increasingly rare and a lot of them want to play football, which lessens the chances of an upset. Even when we play a load of kids I’d still back us to beat any lower league side that wants to play football. If they’re big and physical, that’s when we might have problems.

Not when Konate and Van Dijk are at the back though and Fabinho is shielding them. Shrewsbury’s attacking players must have been a bit deflated when they saw the team sheet. The defenders will have been relieved though. A front three of Jones, Woltman and Gordon isn’t going to strike fear into any experienced back line, while our midfield was also largely inexperienced, with Morton and Dixon-Bonner flanking Fabinho.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report, Dave. Spot on about Curtis - I think that Klopp gave him a bit of pep talk with about 20 to go as he was clearly getting fed up.

You didn't mention Frauendorf coming on and putting in a couple of meaty tackles as the game petered out.

Repped for mentioning Hakeem the Dream.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I’m not seeing too much admiration for Arsenal yet again. It’s funny how much disdain you have for them. I don’t follow stuff like that on social media, do they really think we are running scared? I care about that Arsenal game now.

I hope we're Merciless with them. 

• dave u unpinned this topic