You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 4 Shrewsbury Town 1 - Match Reaction

tlw content

A mix and match Liverpool side eased into the FA Cup 4th Round after recovering from an early shock to see off League One Shrewsbury 4-1 at Anfield.

TLW Editor Dave Usher and Paul Natton reflect on a satisfying afternoon in L4 as Kaide Gordon became the second youngest goalscorer in club history, Bobby marked his return with a goal and Fabinho bagged an unlikely brace. 

We also look ahead to Thursday's League Cup semi final clash with Arsenal.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Chris said:

I wasn't quite as high on Konate as you guys were. The mistake aside, I thought there were a couple of times he looked uncomfortable and awkward. I definitely don't think he's on the verge of replacing Joel on merit. 

I wouldn’t say on the verge at all. Joel’s deffo number one for this season minimum. However I can see a scenario whereby Joel has another fitness wobble, Konate gets into the team next to Virgil  and establishes himself and then that’s it: he’s first choice. That could easily be the case next season. I also think he’ll be more than good enough for there to be barely a murmur about it, too. 

I agree we should go as strong as possible against Arsenal. Unfortunately for them they have a far more important game on Sunday - what could well be a CL place play-off away to Spurs. That may be another reason they were pissed off with the postponement. 

3 hours ago, Chris said:

I wasn't quite as high on Konate as you guys were. The mistake aside, I thought there were a couple of times he looked uncomfortable and awkward. I definitely don't think he's on the verge of replacing Joel on merit. 

That was Paul. Ain't no-one replacing my guy Big Bird. If Konate is forcing his way in then it's Virg that needs to be worried.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chris said:

It's early days but I dont get the hype about Konate either. Not saying he's no good by any stretch but I think there's a bit of a lack of focus at times.

He wasnt switched on for one of Brighton's goals and I just dont know what he was thinking on Shrewsbury's opener. If that had been Kabak or young Rhys Williams, they'd have got slaughtered for that.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

If that had been Kabak or young Rhys Williams, they'd have got slaughtered for that.

Maybe, but they can't totally dominate attackers the way he does, with pace and power.

And therein lies the difference.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I like the way you didn’t even let @Chris get involved in this, even though he’s from Shrewsbury.

”No mate, you do the midweek podcast”.

I was insulted, to be honest*

*Actually I was sat on the beach on Marco Island, FL. right after the game. As Zac Brown might say: "Toes in the water, ass in the sand, not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand" so I was ok with the Salopian snub. Aaaaaand I haven't watched Shrewsbury Town once all season, so not like I could offer any insight beyond "yeah some of their fans are bad mongs, they're probably good enough not to get relegated and Scott Vela did a good job for me on FM21." 

IMG_0458.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chris said:

*Actually I was sat on the beach on Marco Island, FL. right after the game. As Zac Brown might say: "Toes in the water, ass in the sand, not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand" so I was ok with the Salopian snub. Aaaaaand I haven't watched Shrewsbury Town once all season, so not like I could offer any insight beyond "yeah some of their fans are bad mongs, they're probably good enough not to get relegated and Scott Vela did a good job for me on FM21." 

IMG_0458.jpg

Nice bit of shoehorning for the holiday photo there.  Looks well nice. 

6.5% for drinking in the sun is a bold choice there too, kudos.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chris said:

IMG_0458.jpg

Is that a bird on the can ???

Great pod, quite enjoyable. Around 10 minutes into it, @dave u talks about wingers who score only 5 goals a season. Said that such players are only good enough for midtable teams. And that for our level, we need a winger or wide forward who can score 15 a season minimum. I agree with that.

Leads me to wonder why he is so in love with his boy, Adama Traore, who has zero goals this season and has barely scored a total of 10 goals across the last 3 seasons. Last weekend in Wolves' FA cup game, I saw him run through on goal yet again only to blast his shot into row Z. Nice oily biceps and thick calves though. He certainly doesnt skip leg day in the gym. More likely, he skips "finishing drills" day.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Great pod, quite enjoyable. Around 10 minutes into it, @dave u talks about wingers who score only 5 goals a season. Said that such players are only good enough for midtable teams. And that for our level, we need a winger or wide forward who can score 15 a season minimum. I agree with that.

Leads me to wonder why he is so in love with his boy, Adama Traore, who has zero goals this season and has barely scored a total of 10 goals across the last 3 seasons. Last weekend in Wolves' FA cup game, I saw him run through on goal yet again only to blast his shot into row Z. Nice oily biceps and thick calves though. He certainly doesnt skip leg day in the gym. More likely, he skips "finishing drills" day.

Well, firstly I'm confident he'd score more for us because Klopp would improve him like he improves everyone else. Secondly, he'd be an impact player off the bench more than a starter, so I wouldn't be needing 15 goals from him.

He's definitely not dislodging the players we have up there but there would be games (at home especially) when I may even use him at right back if Trent is being rested or is unavailable. He's played wing back for Wolves and I remember he completely marked Sterling out of the game (before moving up front after an hour and scoring twice) so defending isn't completely alien to him. He's a big talent but it's being wasted, by himself mostly, but also by managers who can't get the best out of him.

To clarify though, I wouldn't be spending big money on him and would only be interested if it was a knock down fee, like £20m or something.

Also, a minor correction. He doesn't have 'my boy' status and hasn't had it for at least a year, possibly more.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, dave u said:

Well, firstly I'm confident he'd score more for us because Klopp would improve him like he improves everyone else. Secondly, he'd be an impact player off the bench more than a starter, so I wouldn't be needing 15 goals from him.

He's definitely not dislodging the players we have up there but there would be games (at home especially) when I may even use him at right back if Trent is being rested or is unavailable. He's played wing back for Wolves and I remember he completely marked Sterling out of the game (before moving up front after an hour and scoring twice) so defending isn't completely alien to him. He's a big talent but it's being wasted, by himself mostly, but also by managers who can't get the best out of him.

To clarify though, I wouldn't be spending big money on him and would only be interested if it was a knock down fee, like £20m or something.

Also, a minor correction. He doesn't have 'my boy' status and hasn't had it for at least a year, possibly more.

I agree Dave. It surprises me the number of people who dont think Jurgen and his staff would improve this lad. At £20m, the lad is well worth a punt in my view.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 12/01/2022 at 14:57, dockers_strike said:

I agree Dave. It surprises me the number of people who dont think Jurgen and his staff would improve this lad. At £20m, the lad is well worth a punt in my view.

I just think Klopp and his staff already had a look and said "fuck that". They went to the same club and picked Jota over him. Justifiably so.

He isn't a raw teenager. He is 26 this month. I doubt any magic Klopp would work on him would automatically make him a 10-15 goal player for us. He just doesnt have the base requirement for a top team like ours. If he did, Klopp would have jumped at the chance to take him instead of Jota.