You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (H) - FAC 3rd Rnd, Sun 9th Jan 2022 (2:00pm)

Trumo

57 minutes ago, aws said:

Agreed. Being open just gives them more ammunition to fire at you. 

I've already seen a couple Arsenal fans posting on social media this morning with screenshots of the headline "Klopp admits false positives led to postponement".

The use of the word "admit" making it seem like he did something shady in the first place. It was always going to be spun that way by some dickheads in the media and stupid fans of other clubs. Tedious, really. I just dont think he needed to give in depth details about it in the first place. Many other managers haven't been too open regarding infections in their teams. Klopp should have been as vague as them as well.

22 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I've already seen a couple Arsenal fans posting on social media this morning with screenshots of the headline "Klopp admits false positives led to postponement".

The use of the word "admit" making it seem like he did something shady in the first place. It was always going to be spun that way by some dickheads in the media and stupid fans of other clubs. Tedious, really. I just dont think he needed to give in depth details about it in the first place. Many other managers haven't been too open regarding infections in their teams. Klopp should have been as vague as them as well.

It's pretty obvious that they don't know what 'false positive' means. Or how to pleasure a lady. 

33 minutes ago, dave u said:

The conspiracy loons who think we faked covid to get the Arsenal game postponed. What reason do they think we have for doing it? Serious question, as I can't think of a single benefit to us not playing that game last week. What are the lunatics saying?

Some believe Liverpool exaggerated the number of infections, so we could get some key players fully fit to face the "in form" Arsenal who would have beaten us last Thursday. So Liverpool lied to get it moved by a week because we were scared of the mighty Arsenal.

Others believe that even if Liverpool did have covid cases, we should have been forced to forfeit the tie like Leyton Orient did vs Spurs. Completely ignoring the fact that the 2 situations are different. And that Liverpool had a right to postponement under the rules of the League cup.

The actual fact is fans of Arsenal and other clubs are just desperate to see us get knocked out. Which would have been helped by us having to play u18s in the first leg. We certainly didnt hear this outrage from Arsenal fans when Wolves got the PL game at the Emirates postponed on Dec 27th.

Screenshot_20220110-114734_Facebook.jpg

I admire Jurgen's openess and honesty. It should be something to celebrate given the usual tribal nature of football. But at the same time, the oppos use that 'openess' against him and the club.

These loons clearly dont grasp that the players use lateral flow tests for 'quick' test indications. If they return a 'positive' then then have to submit a PCR test. Even for players, the PCR test takes a good week to get a result back.

Having a positive LFT means the players are immediately unavailable which is how it should be because the likelihood is, the PCR confirms the covid diagnosis. When it doesnt, as in this instance, that's the 'false positive' of the LFT that Jurgen refers to.

The arsenal fans and others drone on about us postponing the game because we have 3 players at ACON. Even with my understanding of ACON, none of them would be back in time to play in any semi final leg and, considering Mo and Sadio havent played in the competition so far, would be unlikely to if they did.

The reality is, arsenal wanted to play a bunch of kids we'd have put out. It's them wanting to game the system, not us. After their shambolic exit from the cup yesterday, I expect legohead will field his strongest side possible in an effort to get to the final.

• Upvote 3

Liverpool vs Arsenal head-to-head since Klopp arrived. It’s obvious why we would be terrified.

Played - 15

Won - 8
Drawn - 6 (won 1 and lost 2 on pens)

Lost - 1

Scored - 43

Against - 22

13 Jan 2016 Liverpool v Arsenal D 3-3 Premier League
14 Aug 2016 Arsenal v Liverpool W 3-4 Premier League
04 Mar 2017 Liverpool v Arsenal W 3-1 Premier League
27 Aug 2017 Liverpool v Arsenal W 4-0 Premier League
22 Dec 2017 Arsenal v Liverpool D 3-3 Premier League
03 Nov 2018 Arsenal v Liverpool D 1-1 Premier League
29 Dec 2018 Liverpool v Arsenal W 5-1 Premier League
24 Aug 2019 Liverpool v Arsenal W 3-1 Premier League
30 Oct 2019 Liverpool v Arsenal W 5-5 League Cup
15 Jul 2020 Arsenal v Liverpool L 2-1 Premier League
29 Aug 2020 Arsenal v Liverpool L 1-1 FA Community Shield
28 Sep 2020 Liverpool v Arsenal W 3-1 Premier League
01 Oct 2020 Liverpool v Arsenal L 0-0 League Cup
03 Apr 2021 Arsenal v Liverpool W 0-3 Premier League
20 Nov 2021 Liverpool v Arsenal W 4-0 Premier League
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I admire Jurgen's openess and honesty. It should be something to celebrate given the usual tribal nature of football. But at the same time, the oppos use that 'openess' against him and the club.

These loons clearly dont grasp that the players use lateral flow tests for 'quick' test indications. If they return a 'positive' then then have to submit a PCR test. Even for players, the PCR test takes a good week to get a result back.

Having a positive LFT means the players are immediately unavailable which is how it should be because the likelihood is, the PCR confirms the covid diagnosis. When it doesnt, as in this instance, that's the 'false positive' of the LFT that Jurgen refers to.

The arsenal fans and others drone on about us postponing the game because we have 3 players at ACON. Even with my understanding of ACON, none of them would be back in time to play in any semi final leg and, considering Mo and Sadio havent played in the competition so far, would be unlikely to if they did.

The reality is, arsenal wanted to play a bunch of kids we'd have put out. It's them wanting to game the system, not us. After their shambolic exit from the cup yesterday, I expect legohead will field his strongest side possible in an effort to get to the final.

You can get PCR testresults pretty quick, you dont have to wait for days at all.

4 minutes ago, Code said:

You can get PCR testresults pretty quick, you dont have to wait for days at all.

Fastest I've had is just over 24 hours, when it was positive. Otherwise 2 days plus, but there is a fair variation around the country, I believe.

Just a note on the Shrewsbury fan stuff. 

Absolutely appalled by it and it's made me really sad, embarrassed and ashamed. Listen, I'll talk anyone's ear off about how much I love Shrewsbury. Being from there is a big part of my identity. I'm proud of it. 

I've got a long-ass spiel prepared for whenever anyone in the states says "How far is that from London?" so they can segue into that time they went to London because that's why they asked me in the first place. 

But, and it's a big but, there's always been a massive scumbag element among the STFC support. The whole English Border Front shit of the 1980s. There was trouble a lot of the time when I'd go to Shrewsbury games as a kid. 

I'm gutted this is what'll be taken away from the club visiting Anfield yesterday. My sister went (in her Hendo shirt, the leg), loads of my mates and neighbours went and all of them couldn't speak highly enough of the experience. Loads were sending me photos, just happy to be there. 

Sure the banter merchant stuff is tiresome and silly. Calling them small time isn't really an insult, it's just accurate. They're a small time club. I think that can be repeated any time a lower league club visits Anfield excited about experiencing that atmosphere for a game we aren't really up for. 

I remember when Liverpool came to Shrewsbury in '96 and the travelling reds singing about sheep shaggers and that. I was only 14 but thinking, hang on, we aren't even in Wales. So swings and roundabouts and such. 

Anyway, gutted that those reprehensible scumbags are the takeaway from Salopians visiting Liverpool yesterday. Absolutely gutted. 

• Upvote 5

The 96 chanting was outrageous and I'm glad it's being highlighted by fans and media. Is it just me that thinks there's been general increase in sickening chants that seem to be aired more and more at us? We seem to be fair game for all sorts of shite - feed the scousers, always the victims. Be it Chelsea, Leicester, Shrewsbury, whoever. 

Neil Atkinson from the Anfield Wrap wrote a good piece about it recently - it was an email though so I can't link it.

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

Just a note on the Shrewsbury fan stuff. 

Absolutely appalled by it and it's made me really sad, embarrassed and ashamed. Listen, I'll talk anyone's ear off about how much I love Shrewsbury. Being from there is a big part of my identity. I'm proud of it. 

I've got a long-ass spiel prepared for whenever anyone in the states says "How far is that from London?" so they can segue into that time they went to London because that's why they asked me in the first place. 

But, and it's a big but, there's always been a massive scumbag element among the STFC support. The whole English Border Front shit of the 1980s. There was trouble a lot of the time when I'd go to Shrewsbury games as a kid. 

I'm gutted this is what'll be taken away from the club visiting Anfield yesterday. My sister went (in her Hendo shirt, the leg), loads of my mates and neighbours went and all of them couldn't speak highly enough of the experience. Loads were sending me photos, just happy to be there. 

Sure the banter merchant stuff is tiresome and silly. Calling them small time isn't really an insult, it's just accurate. They're a small time club. I think that can be repeated any time a lower league club visits Anfield excited about experiencing that atmosphere for a game we aren't really up for. 

I remember when Liverpool came to Shrewsbury in '96 and the travelling reds singing about sheep shaggers and that. I was only 14 but thinking, hang on, we aren't even in Wales. So swings and roundabouts and such. 

Anyway, gutted that those reprehensible scumbags are the takeaway from Salopians visiting Liverpool yesterday. Absolutely gutted. 

I wouldn’t beat yourself up too much mate. All clubs have a cunt element following them. 

However, I can’t remember the last time an opposing player called out his own fans for Hillsborough chants. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Is the keeper a red @Chris

I know he’s a midlands lad (is that offensive/ignorant/shite geography) but even more credit to him if not. 

Not to my knowledge. He's a Ludlow lad, which is south Shropshire, and came through at Wolves. That doesn't mean he isn't a red, but I haven't heard that he is. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

The 96 chanting was outrageous and I'm glad it's being highlighted by fans and media. Is it just me that thinks there's been general increase in sickening chants that seem to be aired more and more at us? We seem to be fair game for all sorts of shite - feed the scousers, always the victims. Be it Chelsea, Leicester, Shrewsbury, whoever. 

Neil Atkinson from the Anfield Wrap wrote a good piece about it recently - it was an email though so I can't link it.

Could it be something to do with the way people 'interact' on social media gradually creeping into and poisoning real life? And, of course, cowards always being brave in a crowd of 15 or 20 when they're less likely to be challenged. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Could it be something to do with the way people 'interact' on social media gradually creeping into and poisoning real life? And, of course, cowards always being brave in a crowd of 15 or 20 when they're less likely to be challenged. 

My wife asked me the same question yesterday and this was my theory too. Social media has lowered the bar for accepted speech. Plus the fact there's far fewer slaps being handed out to bring these people back into line. 

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Fastest I've had is just over 24 hours, when it was positive. Otherwise 2 days plus, but there is a fair variation around the country, I believe.

Here in Sudan you can get one turned around in about three hours for $20, if you can’t wait that long they’ll send you one instantly for $50 without the fuss of all that prodding and poking…

Great service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I think there's a couple of things going on. 

I think there used to be something in this country which you'd call, for want of a better word 'gentlemanly conduct'. 'Honour', 'decorum' whatever you want to call it. That's been eroded gradually by reality TV (at some point it became actively trendy to appear to be thick and uncouth - a reverse Hyacinth Bucket - whereas previously the opposite was true. Even if you were those things, you didn't want people to think it. Now it goes hand in hand with being tough, not taking any shit, 'speaking your truth'. 

That's gone into overdrive due to things like Johnson, Farage, GB News, Daily Mail etc stepping it up a gear. It's permissible to be outrageous now, as it makes money and keeps people distracted. There's people who make entire careers out of appearing on a Z List Channel 5 show, then Tweeting something like 'all fat people should be gassed', then they're invited onto radio chat shows in the sure knowledge it will generate listens and social media shares.

Interestingly it tends to punch down though. If you weighed the volume of bile, I suspect you'd find more aimed at the Grenfell Tower survivors than you would at Prince Andrew. Make of that what you will. Is it curated that way? I'd suspect in some way, yes. 

With regards Liverpool and Liverpool fans though I suspect there's an extra layer to it these last few years. As the 'North' has become more Tory, Liverpool has become more left wing and generally more rebellious. I suspect a lot of people resent that, especially in the post Brexit, we hate Corbyn & love Queen and Country working class zeitgeist.

Can you imagine the furore if and when Liverpool next make it to Wembley and the fans boo the national anthem? There'll be tanks on the lawn by noon.  

Generally too, a lot of English people these days don't like themselves very much. Dunno why, combination of advertising, social media, lack of prospects etc, just a lot of people out there unhappy and trying to make  themselves feel better by abusing others. 

• Upvote 3