You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, m0e said:

Is Lewandowski a static #9?

Yes, by the definition I'm using. He can't play on the wing or different positions.

He and players of that quality are different though, obviously. I would never say "don't sign a prime Lewandowski, he doesn't fit our tactics". You build around the strengths of a player of that quality.

For example, Bayern play a second striker who is very good at providing assists and service behind him in Muller, and they generally play with a bit more traditional wide players, like Coman and Sane who like playing wide, beating defenders 1 v 1 and crossing it in. It fits the type of striker Lewandowski is perfectly.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, by the definition I'm using. He can't play on the wing or different positions.

He and players of that quality are different though, obviously. I would never say "don't sign a prime Lewandowski, he doesn't fit our tactics". You build around the strengths of a player of that quality.

For example, Bayern play a second striker who is very good at providing assists and service behind him in Muller, and they generally play with a bit more traditional wide players, like Coman and Sane who like playing wide, beating defenders 1 v 1 and crossing it in. It fits the type of striker Lewandowski is perfectly.

So it's about quality, not style?

We got there in the end.

1 minute ago, Boss said:

I don't see the point in a striker being able to play on the left or the right. Does Lewandowski play on the wing? No. Does it weaken them that he doesn't? No. Do you see Salah playing on the left or Mane playing on the right or Bobby playing either position? The only one that occasionally alternates is Jota, and he's actually worse for it. It stops him from truly mastering one role. This is Rodgers bollocks.

I'd have no issue signing a player that can't play wide but there's a big difference in playing in Bayerns 433 with Lewandowski amd ours. 

Bayern generally buy wingers that can keep the width like City do, we look for wingers that are inverted and the fullbacks keeping the width more. 

If we bought a Lewandowski/Haaland type then signing a winger like Raphinha would make sense

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Is he really only 21? I didn't know that. 

The funny thing, I can't even remember him playing when Serbia played Ireland last year, he was anonymous to be honest. 

I do watch a bit of serie a, but just the games bt show, which is usually the Milan teams, napoli and juve, I'll have to make it my business to actually watch the next fiorentina game when it's on. 

He scored against Ireland in Belgrade. Tidy finish too.

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'd have no issue signing a player that can't play wide but there's a big difference in playing in Bayerns 433 with Lewandowski amd ours. 

Bayern generally buy wingers that can keep the width like City do, we look for wingers that are inverted and the fullbacks keeping the width more. 

If we bought a Lewandowski/Haaland type then signing a winger like Raphinha would make sense

Agreed. That's basically the general point; our style is built around versatile strikers, multiple ones that are all a threat to score.

If we want to buy a 9 that just plays in the middle, that's fine, but he better be an absolutely special player that is worth changing our tactics and team shape for. And yeah, Raphinha is a good example of a player that would suit a strictly central striker very well.

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Why would it make sense? You've even said yourself that Robertson and Trent are the wingers, so why would Raphinha be whipping in crosses? We play with inverted forwards. Why wouldn't the same system work with a number 9? 

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

Why would it make sense? You've even said yourself that Robertson and Trent are the wingers, so why would Raphinha be whipping in crosses? We play with inverted forwards. Why wouldn't the same system work with a number 9? 

It would work with say a Lewandowski because the guy can actually play aswell. But playing with the inverted wingers works far better with a flash 9 type to draft defenders away and open up space for the forwards. Having a traditional nber 9 means defenders can keep position and not leave the space. 

If you watch the link up with Bobby and Salah how often Bobby comes to the ball and the defender stays on him and it shifts the defensive set up. If you had say a Carroll type 9, he won't move from his spot, he's good at cheating the ball down,attacking crosses etc but doesn't make the space for Mane/Salah. It's more Toshack/Keegan

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Boss said:

If we had a 9 like Lewandowski, our tactics would revolve around giving him service, and rightfully so. As it is, we play with 3 forwards so our way of playing is just intrisically different. The whole thing would change. 

18 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It would work with say a Lewandowski because the guy can actually play aswell. But playing with the inverted wingers works far better with a flash 9 type to draft defenders away and open up space for the forwards. Having a traditional nber 9 means defenders can keep position and not leave the space. 

If you watch the link up with Bobby and Salah how often Bobby comes to the ball and the defender stays on him and it shifts the defensive set up. If you had say a Carroll type 9, he won't move from his spot, he's good at cheating the ball down,attacking crosses etc but doesn't make the space for Mane/Salah. It's more Toshack/Keegan

Yeah, but there's this idea of number 9's that you're either one or the other, but there are some players that are both. If you look at Kane under Mourinho, he could do it all. He was coming short like Bobby - playing like a playmaker, and then when they needed him to be in the box, he was a standard number 9. We don't need to change our style much if we find the right player. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yeah, but there's this idea of number 9's that you're either one or the other, but there are some players that are both. If you look at Kane under Mourinho he could do it all. He was coming short like Bobby and playing almost akin to a playmaker, and then he was also playing as a standard number 9 when they needed him to be in the box. We don't need to change our style much if we find the right player. 

That was a special period from Kane because he showed quality to drop deeper and create at a really high level. That would be an ideal central striker. Benzema is an example of a 9 who is a central striker who is incredible technically and could play in any style of football. How many players in the world like Kane in that period or Benzema can really do that, though? There are so few. And Kane has been shite since then too.

18 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yeah, but there's this idea of number 9's that you're either one or the other, but there are some players that are both. If you look at Kane under Mourinho, he could do it all. He was coming short like Bobby - playing like a playmaker, and then when they needed him to be in the box, he was a standard number 9. We don't need to change our style much if we find the right player. 

Yeah if you can find the right player it works, very few of them around though. 

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That was a special period from Kane because he showed quality to drop deeper and create at a really high level. That would be an ideal striker. Benzema is an example of a 9 who is a central striker who is incredible technically and could play in any style of football? How many players in the world like Kane in that period or Benzema can really do that, though? There are so few. And Kane has been shite since then too.

That's true; there are very few players like that. However, Benzema and Kane weren't like that at 21 years old. What's stopping someone like Vlahovic from learning that? We can't sign the finished article, so we sign the next Benzema or Harry Kane instead. Interestingly, we have been linked to Benzema a lot recently. 

On 07/01/2022 at 19:41, Bjornebye said:

Plenty of rumours we have bid 70 million euros for him. One thing is for certain, if we sign him this lad is going to be superb and if we don't FSG can get to fuck and he will be shit anyway. 

I have no idea 

https://twitter.com/search?q=luis diaz liverpool&src=typed_query&f=live

I hate him already

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The type aRdja wants to sign. A striker like Calvert-Lewin or Bamford who stays central, can't play other positions, doesn't really change positions, during games like our forwards do. I think it's easier to call it that since we have trouble defining what "proper 9" means.

Can confirm I don’t expect my number 9 to stay central all the time. Both DCL and Bamford come deep to link up play, DCL broke through as a AMR.  

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we had a 9 like Lewandowski, our tactics would revolve around giving him service, and rightfully so. As it is, we play with 3 forwards so our way of playing is just intrisically different. The whole thing would change. 

Salah, Mane and Jota can excel alongside a proper number 9. Salah’s last season at Roma yielded 28 goal contributions playing alongside Dzeko. 

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Salah, Mane and Jota can excel alongside a proper number 9. Salah’s last season at Roma yielded 28 goal contributions playing alongside Dzeko. 

I'm sure they could play with one. I just don't know why you'd want them to have to service a striker when they excel as strikers themselves. Unless that striker is absolutely world class, and there just aren't that many of them that are worth it in the age bracket we look at. To me, it begins and ends with Haaland. If a young Benzema, Kane or Lewandowski existed, I'd make an exception for those as well, but they don't.

I doubt that Vlahovic is good enough to change our tactics and shape for, nevermind someone like Bamford. It's the reason we've not signed such a player in years. 

26 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Can confirm I don’t expect my number 9 to stay central all the time. Both DCL and Bamford come deep to link up play, DCL broke through as a AMR.  

Can you explain why we've not bought such a player since Benteke? Long time ago. Logically, it's because we don't want one... Or none of them are good enough. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Can you explain why we've not bought such a player since Benteke? Long time ago. Logically, it's because we don't want one... Or none of them are good enough. 

We signed Solanke but didn’t work out. We enquired about Bamford, as Klopp is a fan, but he didn’t want to move.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

We enquired about Bamford but he didn’t want to move.

Hhhm, I don't recall that being a very concrete rumour. I'm not inclined to believe we were all that interested. Still no "proper no9's" bought since Benteke, almost 7 years ago. Think that says more.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hhhm, I don't recall that being a very concrete rumour. I'm not inclined to believe we were all that interested. Still no "proper no9's" bought since Benteke, almost 7 years ago. Think that says more.

I edited my post to include Solanke.