You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

On 28/05/2022 at 11:24, Strontium said:

Chris Sutton's preview, the little plagiarising bastard!

the affrontery.png

Carvajal on toast like something hipsters order for breakfast, the type who begin every sentence with ‘Yeah.’ 

Diaz will be great for us, but I think some of the commentary around him even from neutral pundits has been over the top. Very promising start but he has a lot to do yet to have the impact of peak Salah/Firmino/Mane.

Too often last night he was taking on Carvajal in tight spaces near the corner flag and just got bullied out of it. The age he is, his physique won’t be getting dramatically stronger either, so we need to play to his obvious strengths. He needs to get the ball deeper and get a run on his man - that’s when he’s at his best. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Carvajal on toast like something hipsters order for breakfast, the type who begin every sentence with ‘Yeah.’ 

Diaz will be great for us, but I think some of the commentary around him even from neutral pundits has been over the top. Very promising start but he has a lot to do yet to have the impact of peak Salah/Firmino/Mane.

Too often last night he was taking on Carvajal in tight spaces near the corner flag and just got bullied out of it. The age he is, his physique won’t be getting dramatically stronger either, so we need to play to his obvious strengths. He needs to get the ball deeper and get a run on his man - that’s when he’s at his best. 

I disagree with that mate. He didn't seem right in the corner much at all. he was cutting inside. One moment he took a touch too many but in the first half I thought he was superb. I was gutted he was taken off. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I disagree with that mate. He didn't seem right in the corner much at all. he was cutting inside. One moment he took a touch too many but in the first half I thought he was superb. I was gutted he was taken off. 

I thought he did well, just that we could have used him better, let him use his pace. He could have been a devastating sub option too. 

Would also love to have seen Carvajal Milner-ed. 

He had a good first half and beat his man either side, cut in and got into the box numerous times.

He's ridiculously talented and once he actually gets warmed up he's going to take the piss out of defenders. He's small but absolutely holds his own against much bigger opponents. He battles and has good strength and balance with agility.

24 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

This is where I am at. He looks exciting and I really enjoy watching the sort of player he is but some of the talk around him has been way over the top. People talk about him being the first name on the team sheet and some, perhaps tongue in cheek,  have said its him rather than Salah than should be asking for 400k.

The lad has 4 goals in 13 games in the league and 6 in 26 in all comps. Hopefully his underlying numbers are much more encouraging as if we are to enjoy similar success over coming season that has to improve massively.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He has tons of potential but I think his performances to date have been overstated a bit.  He can be a little predictable with his efforts to get on his right and his finishing lacks finesse with more focus on power than accuracy.

With Mane leaving there'll be a lot of pressure on him to score more next season and we'll need him to deliver more than he has so far.

11 hours ago, John102 said:

This is where I am at. He looks exciting and I really enjoy watching the sort of player he is but some of the talk around him has been way over the top. People talk about him being the first name on the team sheet and some, perhaps tongue in cheek,  have said its him rather than Salah than should be asking for 400k.

The lad has 4 goals in 13 games in the league and 6 in 26 in all comps. Hopefully his underlying numbers are much more encouraging as if we are to enjoy similar success over coming season that has to improve massively.

Spot on.

I've been a bit cautious about him right from the start. He obviously is talented and very hardworking. He also brings a bit of directness into our attack which is good. But I think many people are sold on the idea that he is a threat. The problem is how often does he deliver on the threat to score or assist? 

As mentioned previously, his finishing often lacks finesse and he can be a bit predictable. Hopefully he does improve to the level where we genuinely have a world class player on our hands. At the moment, he is simply a very good player with potential to hit the heights Salah or Mane have.

5 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I think Diaz being taken off for Jota was the right call. At that stage, we needed more guile and penalty box poaching which are attributes Jota has over Diaz.

Jota did the grand sum of fuck all when he came on. 

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Jota did the grand sum of fuck all when he came on. 

He forced a full length save from Courtois leading to a corner. Got in threatening positions between the posts and not out on the wing. What he did in 30 odd mins was more than Diaz managed all game, when he was running down blind alleys or getting dispossessed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

Jota and Keita made us worse.

Shite substitutions based on hope and not form.

Klopp's done this too many times.

Agreed. I think they were brought on more for being fresher than actually improving on the players they replaced but it didn't really work out, and we were poorer when they came on.

Keita annoys the fuck out of me. He is way, way out of his depth against top teams. It was no surprise to me he made us worse when he came on. Jota has been out of form for ages now, I was hoping Taki would come on instead.

Jota didnt make us worse. He did better than Diaz. I think Firmino was bright too. Keita was the bad one.

Klopp has a far better record at good substitutions than many care to remember. In fact, I'm sure I've seen an article which compares goals or points won by subs with Klopp right up there among the very best. It's just a lazy criticism to claim he is shit at making subs.

I think Bobby would have made a difference if he'd come on a bit earlier. He was the one who offered greater movement to unsettle the defence and assist the others.

Diaz did okay, but he didn't seem to exploit his pace as much as I'd hoped. The one thing I'm looking forward to is to see how he plays once he's been coached a bit more during pre-season. I think he needs the licence to roam across the pitch at least a bit; he's already shown that he can cause problems just by switching sides every now and then. 

I also hope he might become an attacker whose shots can at least be trusted to make the keeper work. After seeing a veritable parade of expensive and highly trained footballers lean back and then look puzzled as to why their shots flew high over the bar, we could do with at least one player who has a decent technique in those situations!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Supremolad said:

He forced a full length save from Courtois leading to a corner. Got in threatening positions between the posts and not out on the wing. What he did in 30 odd mins was more than Diaz managed all game, when he was running down blind alleys or getting dispossessed.

Completely agree. 

21 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I think Bobby would have made a difference if he'd come on a bit earlier. He was the one who offered greater movement to unsettle the defence and assist the others.

Diaz did okay, but he didn't seem to exploit his pace as much as I'd hoped. The one thing I'm looking forward to is to see how he plays once he's been coached a bit more during pre-season. I think he needs the licence to roam across the pitch at least a bit; he's already shown that he can cause problems just by switching sides every now and then. 

I also hope he might become an attacker whose shots can at least be trusted to make the keeper work. After seeing a veritable parade of expensive and highly trained footballers lean back and then look puzzled as to why their shots flew high over the bar, we could do with at least one player who has a decent technique in those situations!

I think Firmino is very good in the sub role,and also as a stand in for injuries and suspensions. In fact,I think we might see him more next season as he has had a few injuries of late and Klopp might have felt he was able to cover those without Firmino. I think he could even do a sort of an advanced Thiago role given Thiago is prone to an injury or two.