You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

17 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Fair point.

My - I suppose - “problem” is I always think “well what Mane have done, there”

Mane was a special player in that he could at the same time roast teams on the wings and be a terror when running with the ball on the counter and then he could also finish like a centre forward.

Where Diaz is a disappointment is that he isn't at his level, and I believe when we bought Diaz we thought he would get on that level. But I think @Barrington Womble has it right in the sense that I don't think we are going to find a player of his profile, that is clearly better than him. It would at least be very difficult and expensive. 

And the part about his profile is important because that's how this attack has been built; it is a combination of 4 different profiles that can be rotated, with the constant being Salah. You have the slightly more traditional wide player in Diaz, the centre forward in Nunez, the versatile second striker in Jota and then the false 9 option in Gakpo, that can also be put in midfield. So they are all important and if we think we can improve on one of them, the question is can you find a player of the same profile, but better, It is the same thing when people beat up on Gakpo at the moment. Its like well ok, but can we find a player that does the same thing as he does, but better? if they can say who this player is and for a reasonable fee then fair enough. 

Unless the new manager and board want to do something much different.

7 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

Yeah I know but Thiago is going in the summer and we need someone on the treatment table.

In all seriousness I’d be all over Kvaratskelia, finding his form again for Napoli and he’ll want out in summer they are fucked financially and struggling in the league, he’s the right age too just turned 23 and never injured.

His agent came out the other day saying  they’re happy to stay but if a big money bid comes in then they’re getting out of there without delay. 

• 1 month later...

Looking like Messi compared to the other two. 

Obviously they've been so monumentally fucking terrible recently that it's probably not a huge achievement to look a lot better than them, but I he's at least showing some heart at the moment. 

Welcome to Barcelona. 

Barcelona might want him but unless we are willing to take Christensen,Raphinha or the like in exchange they can't afford him. Its hilarious watching them get linked to him and Bernardo Silva and reading the actual truth to the finances

La Liga already downgraded there finances for next year. They could barely afford the airfare for his old man let along Diaz. More chance PSG take a gamble

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Least of our problems imo

Absolutely. At least he can dribble and take players on. If he wasn't playing next to fucking Laurel and Hardy we might use his talents better.

I was never as big a fan of him as most, but he's still useful.

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Absolutely. At least he can dribble and take players on.

I have been saying all season he is the only player in the squad capable of beating a man on the run

A few other can get past someone but its more they are played into space and can drive past a fullback. None of them beat a man like a proper old fashioned winger. Not even Mo anymore, cant remember the last time he left a player for dead. 

Defensively we are even bloody worse, the amount of times you watch some bog standard midfielder pirouette on the ball(often as slow as a fucking tugboat) and leave two of our midfielders looking like Peter Reid and Steve Hodge trying to get at Maradona in 86