You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Firmino is very good in the sub role,and also as a stand in for injuries and suspensions. In fact,I think we might see him more next season as he has had a few injuries of late and Klopp might have felt he was able to cover those without Firmino. I think he could even do a sort of an advanced Thiago role given Thiago is prone to an injury or two.

I agree. I think we will need him to help develop a younger forward line, and Carvalho epecially could learn a huge amount from him.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I agree with him. Diaz will struggle to stay on the bench as a bit part player next season and will most likely score more goals and create more assists. So yes, he will struggle to repeat his first half season.

42 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

How many goals should we reasonably expect from Diaz next season. 15-20 would be a very good return. Need Jota to regain his pre March form too.

I dont see him getting more than 15 to be honest. Hope I'm wrong though. He just doesnt seem to have that natural cutting edge. I think he'll still be an important attacker but not with the numbers we've come to expect to expect from our wide players.

As long as he keeps being dangerous almost every game like he's been, I don't think we absolutely need a big jump in goals and assists. 

The difference with his finishing from someone like Mane is simply that Diaz seems more speculative with his shooting. That's the one thing maybe we could do with less of. If you look at the goals Mane scored for us, very few were from beyond the box.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

This lad has bags of talent, yet seems to be playing completely on his own. 

Yeah, it would be nice if one of the most naturally talented players in the league could get service once in a while instead of having to try to run through 3 defenders every time. We've been failing him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, it would be nice if one of the most naturally talented players in the league could get service once in a while instead of having to try to run through 3 defenders every time. We've been failing him.

Agree. Beyond the service, what I've found astounding is the lack of supporting runs or options he gets when has the ball. It's like we pass the ball to him and everybody sits back with popcorn and a Tango Ice Blast whilst he takes on 5 defenders to squeeze a shot in.

Robbo has been particularly shit in this aspect, but the lack of a worthy #9 (Bobby and Nunez haven't been great with their link up play) and a mobile LCM/RCM has isolated him and Mo even more.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the fullbacks, Robbo in particular, are inhibited by having next to no defensive cover when they go forward? I know Trent likes to wander but it's noticeable him not getting to the byline.

The state of the midfield is really fucking us over in every way possible.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's one of the rare players we've signed that it feels like our system and tactics are making him worse.

If the system was working properly, I think he'd be fine.  He could easily do the old Mane role from 2017-20.

Towards the end of last season things started looking a bit dubious - Mo's goals drying up was a bit of a sign, along with our inability to score many goals in general.  This season neither of the wide players are getting the ball in dangerous areas nearly enough.