You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Ngolo Kante is like 5 foot 6 and 11 stone, similar dimensions to Minamino, and has been one of the best ball winning midfielders in the league in the last ten years.

The lightweight thing is absolute nonsense. Probably my biggest pet peeve expression in football.

I read about this guy more, and his career path is very intriguing. 

Became pro late at 18 and while he was viewed as a good player before, 2021 is when he really exploded. In Copa America and with Porto. He's 25 but because of his late start, he might still have huge potential and big room for growth. More than the average 25 year old player.

Kind of reminds me of van Dijk's path a bit, where he was laying low and was a late bloomer, then suddenly joined the very high level right in his mid 20's.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I read about this guy more, and his career path is very intriguing. 

Became pro late at 18 and while he was viewed as a good player before, 2021 is when he really exploded. In Copa America and with Porto. He's 25 but because of his late start, he might still have huge potential and big room for growth. More than the average 25 year old player.

Kind of reminds me of van Dijk's path a bit, where he was laying low and was a late bloomer, then suddenly joined the very high level right in his mid 20's.

To be fair to Van Dijk he was sensational at Celtic but because of the perception that the Scottish league is tinpot, he couldn't get a move to a top club. Then he was brilliant for Southampton as well pretty much right away. He had a long term injury at Southampton that kept him out for a year and it kind of took the momentum from him. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

To be fair to Van Dijk he was sensational at Celtic but because of the perception that the Scottish league is tinpot, he couldn't get a move to a top club. Then he was brilliant for Southampton as well pretty much right away. He had a long term injury at Southampton that kept him out for a year and it kind of took the momentum from him. 

I rarely watch Scottish football, but being Irish, plenty of my buddies are celtic fans. And they always raved about van dijk. 

And I always remember van dijk being magnet like for the ball whenever we played them. Didn't they knock us out of the fa Cup or league Cup one year? He cleared absolutely everything and made us look shite. 

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

I rarely watch Scottish football, but being Irish, plenty of my buddies are celtic fans. And they always raved about van dijk. 

And I always remember van dijk being magnet like for the ball whenever we played them. Didn't they knock us out of the fa Cup or league Cup one year? He cleared absolutely everything and made us look shite. 

I don't remember. They could've. The one game I remember was the one where Mane was clean through on goal and Van Dijk caught him effortlessly, even though Mane had a clear headstart. That was when most of us realised he's some player.

Randomly, I remember watching him for Southampton against Inter at St Mary's. And he was playing in a way I've never seen from a centre back. I can't remember who they had upfront at the time, probably Long. There was no threat in the team so Van Dijk was acting as a playmaker, even making runs into the box to try and score headers. 

9 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

So did Lovren, scoring at Anfield and we signed him the following season. 

15 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I was convinced Van Dijk was massively overrated when he was at Southampton, largely based on how good Lovren was for them and how absolutely shite he was for us.  One for the amnesty thread that.

The problem with van Dijk at the time was that it seemed inconceivable that a centre back who just became the most expensive player ever at his position could be 26 and was still playing at a mid table English club. It hid how good a player he was and you would've thought he had to have some hidden flaw somewhere, else a massive club would have already signed him. It was a learning experience. 

17 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I was convinced Van Dijk was massively overrated when he was at Southampton, largely based on how good Lovren was for them and how absolutely shite he was for us.  One for the amnesty thread that.

Lovren wasn’t half as bad as he was made out on here. There were a lot of solid performances in between the odd, high-profile brainless moment. And he also got revenge for Mo by elbowing Ramos in the head. Probably another one for the amnesty thread. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

It was the League Cup semi-final. We could have played 4 legs and still not looked like scoring.

2 hours ago, Em City said:

It was the League Cup semi-final. We could have played 4 legs and still not looked like scoring.

thats the one.

it was ridiculous, playing against him when he's on form is just unfair. He's too big, too quick and too clever. 

I never had any doubt about him after watching those ties. He reminded me of a bigger Jaap Stam, and credit where its due, he had a spell for the mancs which was scary good

If there is one thing that signings in the Klopp era should have taught people by now, is to keep your powder dry until the player has had a chance. 

Some absolute left-field signings have been amazing, yet possibly the 'surest' one of them all (Naby) has been a bit of a letdown, all things considered. 

6 hours ago, A_S said:

If there is one thing that signings in the Klopp era should have taught people by now, is to keep your powder dry until the player has had a chance. 

Some absolute left-field signings have been amazing, yet possibly the 'surest' one of them all (Naby) has been a bit of a letdown, all things considered. 

A bit? All things considered? 

8 hours ago, El Rojo said:

You Only Luis Twice.

Tomorrow Never Diaz.

The Man With The Golden Goal. 

Diazmonds Are Forever.

The Spy Who Luised Me.

Luis and Let Diaz.