You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

I gotta say, he didn't at all seem like the profile of player we would sign, mostly because of the league he's from. We've not taken risks like this on players previously under Klopp. Pretty big fee for an overperformer in a weaker league. Lot of stock in his European performances. Let's wait and see on his quality.

This looks like a preemptive replacement for someone that we've gotten in early. As long as it's not Salah eventually leaving, this should work. He looks like a similar profile to Mané.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I gotta say, he didn't at all seem like the profile of player we would sign

His numbers are absolutely the profile of player we'd sign.

Such a fucking bi-polar fan base,

"sign someone, we need to sign someone, we need depth."

Signs someone

"Must be selling Salah."

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Our front three are all turning the wrong side of 30 at the same time. This looks like succession planning to me.

Yep

If we manage to sign all three to new contracts I think Mane and Bobby will be on shorter contracts than Salah will be.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

His numbers are absolutely the profile of player we'd sign.

Such a fucking bi-polar fan base,

"sign someone, we need to sign someone, we need depth."

Signs someone

"Must be selling Salah."

I'm not criticizing the club for it. I think this is a pretty ideal way to do it if someone is leaving in the summer  and given we'll have 3 forwards with 1 year left, it's pretty likely someone will leave.

His numbers are, yes. I was commenting on the fact we normally go for bigger leagues when we pay big money. He may be a great player, there's just not clear proof of that. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not criticizing the club for it. I think this is a pretty ideal way to do it if someone is leaving in the summer  and given we'll have 3 forwards with 1 year left, it's pretty likely someone will leave.

His numbers are, yes. I was commenting on the fact we normally go for bigger leagues when we pay big money. He may be a great player, there's just not clear proof of that. We'll see.

Given we have Matos and Pep from Porto, Jota has been as good as he is and Klopp said the below last summer 

Jurgen Klopp said that he is closely following the Portuguese championship, and left praise for the coaches working in the Portuguese League. The revelation was made in a video posted by Liverpool in which the German coach who coaches Diogo Iota discusses his career and talks about topics such as travel, fan contacts and other leagues he likes. Answer from 3 minutes.

“The league that I love to see, and which is probably not the most famous, in which you can always see good innovation, good players and good coaches, is the Portuguese league. This is a very interesting league. He has his own philosophy, many clubs do very smart things to educate and coach players. So it’s very, very interesting, ”says the 53-year-old athlete. “Of course I see the German league as much as I can. I am trying to see Italy in order to analyze defensive strategies – it is necessary to see it; As for Spain, you may be 16th, but you will have eleven players who are technically incredibly strong, ”he concluded, also referring to the problems in the transition from player to coach.

I'd say there's sufficient confidence in the Portuguese league within Liverpool.

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I gotta say, he didn't at all seem like the profile of player we would sign, mostly because of the league he's from. We've not taken risks like this on players previously under Klopp. Pretty big fee for an overperformer in a weaker league. Lot of stock in his European performances. Let's wait and see on his quality.

This looks like a preemptive replacement for someone that we've gotten in early. As long as it's not Salah eventually leaving, this should work. He looks like a similar profile to Mané.

*looks at avatar*

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886w7jsrkd68ytdtxcxzp

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's definitely for Mane i think. We have given him 18 months to recover his form but it's just not happening. We can't have a lack of threat on the left side for much longer, he looks slower and isn't beating his man with sheer pace anymore.

Diaz is a robust, combative, quick player with that south American warrior type mentality. His close control doesn't look all that great at times but im sure we can polish that up here with our coaching methods. He does have good awareness and passing ability. I like the look of him but i think he'll be a little raw for the next year or so. 

Plus we need another option that can actually provide a threat who isnt Origi or minamino, they just don't add enough when we call on them. 

Red Echo right in there.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luis-diaz-liverpool-transfer-everton-22905190

But if Everton would have had their way, the gifted winger would have been on Merseyside five months ago.

The Blues identified Diaz as one of their key targets before the summer transfer window closed on August 31. 

They hoped to bring the now-25-year-old to Goodison Park as part of a deal that would have taken James Rodriguez back to Porto.

Everton thought that, with Rodriguez thrown in, they could get his Colombian international team-mate for around £20m.

This is a good piece. Personally, I dont think Sadio or Bobby will be going anywhere this window. Summer might be different proposition though.

There is nothing quite like an old-fashioned transfer hijack to quicken the pulse. That is what Liverpool are trying to execute over the next 48 hours.

Earlier in this transfer window any move for Porto’s Luis Diaz was not only denied, it was suggested he was not even an active target in January.

The reason for that was his fee - at that time thought to be £60m. The club would revisit in the summer if he was available and cheaper. But then Tottenham came along and helpfully reduced the initial asking price to £37.5m. Liverpool have made it known that would be more acceptable. Diaz, it would seem as of Friday morning, is more inclined to play in the Champions League at Anfield and help Klopp’s bid to narrow Manchester City’s Premier League lead.

There should be caution before imagining Diaz holding aloft a red scarf alongside a beaming Klopp, however. The winger is currently on international duty with Colombia, preparing for World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Argentina. Given the logistics, Liverpool insist it is far from a formality the paperwork and medical will be done before Monday’s deadline.

That said, what would Liverpool be getting if their late move is successful? Another dynamic wide attacker with an eye for goal, supplementing the firepower of Salah, Mane and Jota.

After moderate goalscoring returns earlier in his career, Diaz appears to have extra ammunition in his boots over the last 12 months. He has 14 goals in 18 league appearances for Porto this season, playing ostensibly as a winger.

At last year’s Copa America, Colombian Diaz was joint-top goalscorer with Lionel Messi.

At 25 he fits the age profile of Fenway Sports Group, while at just under £40m - although there are sure to be add-ons based on appearances and trophy success - it looks like a solid business for one of the most sought-after players in Europe.

Last summer, Everton were the Premier League club showing most interest. Liverpool watched on, adamant the price tag was prohibitive.

Not for the first time, Liverpool’s recruiters may be about to be rewarded for their patience. Often unfairly accused of being in hibernation as they stand aside awaiting the right deal rather than any deal, the club have demonstrated they are ready to pounce when circumstances are favourable.

That reflects a greater self-confidence during the Klopp era, Liverpool benefiting from the knowledge that once they show their hand, players tend to want to join Klopp. Gone are the days when the club seemed to be scurrying around the world trying to convince undecided stars that Anfield was the right place, only to be themselves outflanked by Manchester United (Mikel Silvestre), Arsenal (Alexis Sanchez) and Chelsea (take your pick of a dozen stars between 2005 and 2015).

Remember when it was suggested Liverpool struggled to buy players because Anfield is not in London? Times can rapidly change when one club is considered on the up, and another in a period of reconstruction.

Now it seems like Klopp needs only show mild interest in a player and that target will start humming You'll Never Walk Alone.

If Liverpool's Diaz move goes ahead, look out for the firework display at Spurs' training ground. Conte must already be fuming his pursuit of Traore appears to have been scuppered by Barca.

Adding Diaz could also relieve some, although not all, of the pressure on the club as they proceed with contract negotiations with star players. While all the focus is on Salah and whether he will extend beyond 2023, little is said or written about Mane who is in the same position. The prospect of losing both in 18 months time is unpalatable.

Should Diaz arrive and hit the ground running, Liverpool would at least have the consolation of having a greater depth of talent in their squad. They have needed it for a while as back-up forwards Origi and Minamino have not been able to sustain impressive cameos with back-to-back, high level performances.

Another positive interpretation from Liverpool’s move is - as their ownership group has always insisted - the resources are there when the time is right. Sporting director Edwards is leaving this summer and one theory is that the club are determined to ensure his current assistant and successor, Ward, makes a productive start, either with notable signings or overseeing crucial contract extensions. It is significant that Ward is leading the negotiations on this deal, supported by Edwards.

There have been only two debilitating side effects of Liverpool’s brilliantly entertaining and successful era under Klopp. The first is that their main competitor, Manchester City, are so darn good. Liverpool would have already won far more but for them, regardless about the debate as to how City made themselves No1.

The second is the incessant social media moaning that the club are not ambitious enough in the transfer market and are too often dormant. Aside from last year’s strange, behind-closed-doors, injury-hit season, given the relative resources of the top Premier League clubs it is difficult for any neutral to argue there is much more

Liverpool could have done to get back to the top. Even during a relatively quieter recruitment period, over the last two years they have signed Thiago Alcantara and Ibrahima Konate. Diaz would be another statement, especially given the timing. That is aside from mega-million contract extensions for Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Fabinho, Andy Robertson and Fabinho - with the hope of more to follow.

Signing Diaz would impressingly back that up and enhance a squad still competing on four fronts in 2022.

The Premier League may be on a break, but Liverpool are seeking another positive result this weekend.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/01/28/liverpool-make-375m-bid-porto-winger-luis-diaz/

• Upvote 2