You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Jan 1-3 2022)

tlw content

I didn’t bother with round ups over the holidays because there were so many games cancelled it was a joke and I just couldn’t be arsed with any of it. I didn’t watch any of the games that were played and part of that was because of the major sulk I had on after we lost to Leicester.

I still have that sulk on but I'll crack on with the weekend’s games and I’ll start at the Emirates where Arsenal looked like they were going to ram my taunts back down my throat before reverting to type and going the full Arsenal. As you know, you never want to go the full Arsenal.

That being said, there are some mitigating circumstances for what happened and for that reason I won’t go in as hard on them as I usually would. 

Some of the reaction from their fans afterwards was fucking mental though. It was conspiracy theories galore and they convinced themselves that the refs in this country are taking bungs from Abu Dhabi. I mean, not even I have gone that far and I’ve said some pretty damning things about officials over the last couple of years. I think they’re biased as fuck and they’re also really shit. I think they often give decisions based on what they want to give rather than what they should give. I don’t think they’re on the payroll of City though.

Let’s look at this game for example. The decisions they gave and the ones they didn’t. Arsenal got the shitty end of the stick and have a right to feel a bit hard done by. But we’ve seen much worse this season. Shit, just look at what happened to us at Spurs. Then again, I suppose that fits the “refs are working for City” theory so that’s not the best example.

The Arsenal penalty that wasn’t given is a really contentious one. I’ve changed my mind on it twice already which tells me that it isn’t a black and white decision and that going with the refs on-field verdict was in fact the only call to be made. If I’m an Arsenal fan I’m not happy about that, but that’s one that really can go either way.

Initially I thought no penalty because Ederson got the man and ball together. Then there was an angle that changed my mind because to showed he caught Odergaard’s foot before getting the ball. I was convinced it was a pen and that Arsenal had been shafted, but then I saw the same angle only zoomed right in, and someone was saying it’s actually a foul to City because Odergaard stands on Ederson’s foot. And that’s what I saw when I looked at it.

It reminded me of that “red dress / green dress” thing, or that other thing when you look at a word and then you hear that word when you listen to a clip, but if you read a different word and listen to the same clip you then hear the different word. It’s confusing as fuck and I have no idea who fouled who in that incident now. They both fouled eachother I think. 

So if it’s that confusing it isn’t ‘clear and obvious’ and you have to go with what the ref gave initially. Should he have initially given a penalty? Maybe, but it probably looked like Ederson got the ball so you can’t give that.

As for the one City got, well I don’t think that’s a pen either and I don’t really see why VAR ignores one and then gets involved in the other. Stuart Atwell had a good view of it and was adamant that it was a dive, because it fucking was. Not only does Bernardo dive, but it was him that initiated the contact by running away from the line of the ball and instead running into Xhaka. The problem is that Xhaka is thick as fuck and decided to leave his leg dangling and also grab his shirt, which then gives VAR a decision to make.

I’d be ok with that penalty if the ref had given it because we know that the bar is supposedly very high for overturns currently (unless you’re Andy Robbo) and that isn’t one that would get over-ruled. My problem here is that this wasn’t ‘clear and obvious’ because Atwell said it was a dive and it clearly is, even though there is also a shirt grab as well.

You get a hundred shirt grabs a game and probably 99 of them go unpunished, so it sticks in the throat that City were bailed out here. It’s the point I made repeatedly last season when we were getting fucked by VAR seemingly every week. It isn’t that these decisions are really bad in isolation, but the issue is that there’s no evening out of decisions. Decisions that could go either way are in fact ALL going the one way. Currently everything that can go City’s way is going City’s way.

If they were this unbeatable superteam they are being hyped as they wouldn’t struggle to beat Brentford 1-0 and they wouldn’t need the officials to help them out against Arsenal. They’re very good, sure, but this gap has opened up because they’re getting every conceivable break at the moment while we’re getting none (plus we shit the bed at Leicester).

The problem is this shit has got them on a roll and the more wins they reel off, the more intimated opponents become and the more the ‘aura’ comes into play. If Arsenal hadn’t pulled an Arsenal and could have taken the three points then the title race would have a completely different feel than it has currently. But Arsenal gonna Arsenal.

They were actually really good until they came up against a bit of adversity and then folded like a cheap suit. Gabriel is a fucking moron. Arsenal fans complaining about his sending off need to have a word with themselves. That soft cunt deserved all he got and gave the ref no choice whatsoever. Yellow for dissent (he should have been given one for scuffing up the penalty spot) and then another a couple of minutes later for clattering Jesus.

Arsenal could have rallied again at 1-1 and still gone on to win the game, and they should have retaken the lead when Martinelli missed an open goal, but Gabriel’s antics killed them and meant they would have to just hang on and try to hold out for a point. They did for a while but there was nothing more predictable than them giving a goal away right at the end.

Absolutely sickening though isn’t it? Fucking spawny, cheating cunts. My contempt for them knows no bounds. Fuck Arsenal too though, the flakey fucking bottle jobs.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Pogba for the Mancs is like Keita for us cost a lot of money doesn’t live up to the hype never available when you really need them to step up.

both players have a fanatic following on social media of supporters who only see them as superstars who do no wrong and will die on that hill.

I#m sure you‘re wrong about UAE‘s national side Dave. If they can afford to get 99% of the world‘s journalists and pundits to turn a blind eye on their cheating, they can afford to bung a few refs. Given the whole ethos of the organisation (and the country) it would be completely out of character for it not to be happening.

“That right back they got from Barcelona is shite too. I heard a Spurs fan on the radio refer to him as “Emerserge Royalier” and I thought, yeah he’s nailed that one.“

North London fans are the fucking worst for getting names wrong. Most of those Arsenal Fan TV twats were still referring to their manager as WENGAH after 20 odd years. 

The Spurs fan was taking the piss, basically saying this fella is just another Serge Aurier.

Jadon Coutinho was me comparing Sancho leaving Dortmund for United to Coutinho leaving us for Barca. Career wrecking decisions.

Jeez, I don't usually need to explain these. Looks like a few of these missed the mark this week.

• Upvote 3

On 07/01/2022 at 14:14, sir roger said:

In the interest of balance , didn't City have two goals disallowed in a recent game on very close VAR decisions ?

I'm not interested in balance where City are concerned. They have no interest in balance so why should I? Fuck them. Cunts.

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 08/01/2022 at 16:00, dave u said:

I'm not interested in balance where City are concerned. They have no interest in balance so why should I? Fuck them. Cunts.

Exactly. Cheating fucking wankers and their fans are fucking intolerable at the moment.