You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Compulsory Covid Jabs

Pureblood

Compulsory Covid Jabs?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour?

Trade union leaders are urging ministers to delay making Covid vaccination mandatory for NHS personnel because the feared exodus it will trigger will worsen the health service’s staffing crisis.

The government has decided that all NHS staff in England who have direct contact with patients must have had their first dose of a Covid vaccine by 3 February or risk losing their job at the end of March.

But the TUC has called for the policy to be delayed “with immediate effect”, to avoid the loss of staff it will create deepening the health service-wide shortage of key workers which is a key reason why dozens of NHS trusts have had to declare a major alert over the last week.

The TUC is warning the health secretary, Sajid Javid, that pressing ahead with the plan “will exacerbate this crisis, creating a bureaucratic and staffing nightmare for NHS trusts and making it impossible to maintain safe staffing levels in the coming weeks”.

Javid, who has already imposed the requirement on staff working in care homes in England, believes that compulsory jabs for NHS staff will help keep patients safe and reduce the number of people who contract Covid while in hospital

Frances O’Grady, the TUC’s general secretary, said: “We are in the middle of an NHS staffing crisis, born not only from Covid absences but also long-term problems that need long-term solutions. Now is not the right time to introduce more bureaucracy.

As hospitals declare critical incidents amid a surge in Covid cases, the NHS cannot afford to lose experienced and skilled staff”.

The NHS already has 93,000 vacancies, including for 40,000 nurses. The government’s own impact assessment of its policy concluded that as many as 73,000 staff may leave rather than get jabbed. Women, people from ethnic minorities and younger workers are among those most likely to quit

The Guardian reported last month that Chris Hopson, the chief executive of the hospitals body NHS Providers, feared that entire units of hospitals may have to close “in extreme circumstances” as a result of the departure of unvaccinated staff. He cited an unnamed maternity unit where 40 midwives are refusing to get jabbed and whose stance had left the trust’s boss seriously concerned for the future viability of the service if they left, given that the NHS in England is short of about 2,500 midwives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/07/ministers-urged-to-delay-mandatory-covid-jabs-for-nhs-staff-in-england

41 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Trade union leaders are urging ministers to delay making Covid vaccination mandatory for NHS personnel because the feared exodus it will trigger will worsen the health service’s staffing crisis.

The government has decided that all NHS staff in England who have direct contact with patients must have had their first dose of a Covid vaccine by 3 February or risk losing their job at the end of March.

But the TUC has called for the policy to be delayed “with immediate effect”, to avoid the loss of staff it will create deepening the health service-wide shortage of key workers which is a key reason why dozens of NHS trusts have had to declare a major alert over the last week.

The TUC is warning the health secretary, Sajid Javid, that pressing ahead with the plan “will exacerbate this crisis, creating a bureaucratic and staffing nightmare for NHS trusts and making it impossible to maintain safe staffing levels in the coming weeks”.

Javid, who has already imposed the requirement on staff working in care homes in England, believes that compulsory jabs for NHS staff will help keep patients safe and reduce the number of people who contract Covid while in hospital

Frances O’Grady, the TUC’s general secretary, said: “We are in the middle of an NHS staffing crisis, born not only from Covid absences but also long-term problems that need long-term solutions. Now is not the right time to introduce more bureaucracy.

As hospitals declare critical incidents amid a surge in Covid cases, the NHS cannot afford to lose experienced and skilled staff”.

The NHS already has 93,000 vacancies, including for 40,000 nurses. The government’s own impact assessment of its policy concluded that as many as 73,000 staff may leave rather than get jabbed. Women, people from ethnic minorities and younger workers are among those most likely to quit

The Guardian reported last month that Chris Hopson, the chief executive of the hospitals body NHS Providers, feared that entire units of hospitals may have to close “in extreme circumstances” as a result of the departure of unvaccinated staff. He cited an unnamed maternity unit where 40 midwives are refusing to get jabbed and whose stance had left the trust’s boss seriously concerned for the future viability of the service if they left, given that the NHS in England is short of about 2,500 midwives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/07/ministers-urged-to-delay-mandatory-covid-jabs-for-nhs-staff-in-england

What's the reason that 40 midwives are refusing vaccinations?

I didn’t get around to getting a booster and now I’ve got/had Covid I’m not sure when I will. 

Couple of things - I had the OxfordAZ jab months and months ago. It’s worn off, I get that. Why has that vaccine disappeared completely? Does it even exist now?

And this mRNA stuff. Honestly, the more I hear, the more it puts me off. Everyone I know who had the AZ jab reacted badly to the Moderna one. 

How long does my natural immunity last until I’m susceptible to catching Covid again?

talk-to-me-terry-tibbs.gif

What do you mean by reacting badly?

I had AZ 1 & 2 plus Moderna Booster, but it's not that different to getting the flu jab, felt like I had a cold the following day (aching, mild headache) but paracetamol and a sleep clears it up. Lasts about a day/day and a half.

9 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I didn’t get around to getting a booster and now I’ve got/had Covid I’m not sure when I will. 

Couple of things - I had the OxfordAZ jab months and months ago. It’s worn off, I get that. Why has that vaccine disappeared completely? Does it even exist now?

And this mRNA stuff. Honestly, the more I hear, the more it puts me off. Everyone I know who had the AZ jab reacted badly to the Moderna one. 

How long does my natural immunity last until I’m susceptible to catching Covid again?

Heretic!  Apologise at once and beg Sir Whitty for forgiveness. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

[Image - 117126] | I See What You Did There | Know Your Meme

Some of the findings found that as a booster the MRNA are more effective compared to the viral vector vaccines. The article below seems to suggest the production capacity of Pfizer made the difference and has given them the edge and they became like Amazon in a Winner-Takes-All-Market. Combined with ruthless negotiating and the failure of governments to work collectively. Astra Zeneca had production problems, remember at one time the EU were suing them for failure to deliver.

https://www.ft.com/content/0cea5e3f-d4c4-4ee2-961a-3aa150f388ec

I'm a big believer in the placebo and nocebo effect. Around 30% of participants in the original trials who took the placebo reported side effects. So I'm always a bit cautious in how impartial we can be in our reporting of the initial side effects. I managed to convince myself after my Pfizer booster that I had the best nights sleep in ages. My hunch is those who feel comfortable with a jab are less likely to feel any side effects. 

• Upvote 1

I caught Covid this time last year when it was at its worst and was pretty bad with it for 3 weeks and Never been so sick in all my life, however i got over it, didn't need to go into hospital and didnt need a vaccine to do it.

Ive had close family members test positive since i got over it last year who i spent time with, my girlfriend has had it twice, ive been to big events and carried on life as normal as possible and have not had it since i first got it. 

I'm actually really surprised i didn't get it over Christmas as my sister, her kids, her fella and my girlfriend all tested positive on boxing day and i spend the entire day earlier with them and obviously spent a lot of time with the mrs as well. 

This is why i feel i dont need the vaccine as i got over it when Covid was at its worst and with Omicron being mild i dont see the point. 

3 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

I caught this time last year when it was at its worst and was pretty bad with it for 3 weeks. Never been so sick in all my life, however i got over it and didnt need a vaccine to do it.

Ive had close family members test positive since i got over it last year who i spent time with, my girlfriend has had it twice, ive been to big events and carried on life as normal as possible and have not had it since i first got it. 

I'm actually really surprised i didn't get it over Christmas as my sister, her kids, her fella and my girlfriend all tested positive on boxing day and i spend the entire day earlier with them and obviously spent a lot of time with the mrs as well. 

This is why i feel i dont need the vaccine as i got over it when Covid was at its worst and with Omicron being mild i dont see the point. 

How many months were between your girlfriend catching it the first and second time?

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

How many months were between your girlfriend catching it the first and second time?

6 to 7 months mate. First time she was bad but this time it was just like a cold and she's not jabbed. It was the same with my sister and she's not jabbed either and it was the first time she had it. Again it was just like a cold for her to. 

16 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

6 to 7 months mate. First time she was bad but this time it was just like a cold and she's not jabbed. It was the same with my sister and she's not jabbed either and it was the first time she had it. Again it was just like a cold for her to. 

It’s weaker now because it’s this Omicron variant. I dare say your sister is lucky she didn’t get the one that laid you up first time around.

Ta for replying. 

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

6 to 7 months mate. First time she was bad but this time it was just like a cold and she's not jabbed. It was the same with my sister and she's not jabbed either and it was the first time she had it. Again it was just like a cold for her too

You're going to be needing this:

hardhat.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Some of the findings found that as a booster the MRNA are more effective compared to the viral vector vaccines. The article below seems to suggest the production capacity of Pfizer made the difference and has given them the edge and they became like Amazon in a Winner-Takes-All-Market. Combined with ruthless negotiating and the failure of governments to work collectively. Astra Zeneca had production problems, remember at one time the EU were suing them for failure to deliver.

https://www.ft.com/content/0cea5e3f-d4c4-4ee2-961a-3aa150f388ec

I'm a big believer in the placebo and nocebo effect. Around 30% of participants in the original trials who took the placebo reported side effects. So I'm always a bit cautious in how impartial we can be in our reporting of the initial side effects. I managed to convince myself after my Pfizer booster that I had the best nights sleep in ages. My hunch is those who feel comfortable with a jab are less likely to feel any side effects. 

I completely disagree. I have no problem with needles or jabs and I felt like absolute shite after jab number three. Of course I am only one case of this but I think its far more than mind over matter.

10 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

According to an article in the BMJ, I’m now immune from Covid for at least five months, if not longer. So if that’s true and provided I still wear a mask, etc, there’s no need for me to make a decision on the Booster until early June, right?

I wonder where we’ll be at with this virus by then. 

11 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The latest studies show that although antibodies fade, t-cell immuno repsonses remain in place long term. So you immune system won't stop the burglar getting into your house, but it will chase the fucker around your house twatting it with a bat.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The latest studies show that although antibodies fade, t-cell immuno repsonses remain in place long term. So you immune system won't stop the burglar getting into your house, but it will chase the fucker around your house twatting it with a bat.

Will it do any damage to the burglar or will he nick your life savings?

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I completely disagree. I have no problem with needles or jabs and I felt like absolute shite after jab number three. Of course I am only one case of this but I think its far more than mind over matter.

I did use the phrase less likely -- not disputing some symptoms are genuine. However people can convince themselves of anything, we know the placebo and nocebo effect are measurable outcomes. Not far fetched to believe with all the misinformation and this woeful government it could add a little to the mix.