You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Chelsea 2 Liverpool 2 - Match Reaction

tlw content

Liverpool's 2022 got underway with an eventful, incident packed 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea probably shaded the contest but the Reds will feel they should have gone way with maximum points having led 2-0. 

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Ian Brown to discuss a frustrating afternoon in which Mo Salah produced another stunning goal and Sadio Mané ended his goal drought only for a sloppy spell in the run up to half time to undo all of their good work.

View full article

• Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Dave is going soft with his not hating many Chelsea players. I despise Azpilicueta like you, but I also can’t stand Rudiger, Pulisic, Jorginho, Chilwell and especially that snidey shitbag Mount. It’s Chelsea fans I reserve special hatred for though. 

Pulisic is the one for me as he gets far to much attention in the US coverage as the only one of them, out of 350-odd million, who is actually any good at footy. Mount is a prick isn't he. Lampard Lite if you will. Both from a physical weight and talent perspective. 

Kovacic can fuck off too. Big, ugly Eastern European grocks shouldn't be scoring goals like that. 

• Upvote 1

Think you have been harsh on Virg for the 2nd.

I think he's kept his ground to stop the pullback to Mount

2nd goal is all on Henderson & Trent for me, they have been a shambles down that right hand side for weeks now.

Trent gets caught in no mans land yet again and Henderson doesn't cover and pickup Pulisic run.

22 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One plays for Juve, one for Barcelona and the other at Dortmund. You may have heard of those.

I know the kid at Dortmund but not the other two.

I don't like Pulisic because he always scores against us, but I can't put him in the same category of twats that Chelsea used to have. Mount doesn't bother me either, other than the fact he doesn't seem to have any lips and looks a bit weird.

7 hours ago, Daisy said:

Think you have been harsh on Virg for the 2nd.

I think he's kept his ground to stop the pullback to Mount

2nd goal is all on Henderson & Trent for me, they have been a shambles down that right hand side for weeks now.

Trent gets caught in no mans land yet again and Henderson doesn't cover and pickup Pulisic run.

Its like Brownie said though, you deal with the more imminent danger first and worry about the pullback later. Make him decide what he's going to do and then make him execute it. Virgil took himself completely out of the play by doing nothing.

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

Its like Brownie said though, you deal with the more imminent danger first and worry about the pullback later. Make him decide what he's going to do and then make him execute it. Virgil took himself completely out of the play by doing nothing.

Straight away I was wondering if it was the knee, that Van Dijk perhaps didn't feel comfortable with the quick change of direction and pace needed to get across to cover.  I have thought a few times this season his movement might not be what it was, but of course he is probably under more scrutiny than anyone.

Enjoyed this pod.  

It's funny, but like @dave uI don't see it as 2 points dropped.  When the going up by 2 goals and then conceding 2 goals to go level all happens in the first half, it just feels like a chaotic first half as opposed to surrendering a good lead.  I think it was a decent point all things considered. 

Also found it interesting about VVD running in a straight line back.  Richard Dunne spoke about it on Irish TV prior to this game (possibly after the Leicester game?) about how the defensive unit at Liverpool don't seem to work for each other.  He said it appears they have their area that they defend at all costs and as such the CBs are separate entities as opposed to a team working together.  I dismissed it at the time, but there may be something in it.

17 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I questioned whether VVD was struggling with long covid as his pace over longer distances seemed to have gone and he looked like he was massively playing within himself since coming back. 

As @Brownie said though, it may well be the knee. 

Either way though the drop off has been massive. 

For me, it’s how uncomfortable he now looks at times. But that’s all relative to how fucking easy he made it look previously. It doesn’t look like anything comes easy to him anymore. He looks… mortal. 

For me, he gets a pass for this season. If it continues into next then it’s time to worry about whether he’ll ever make a full recovery from the injury. Because it’s almost certainly that. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Enjoyed this pod.  

It's funny, but like @dave uI don't see it as 2 points dropped.  When the going up by 2 goals and then conceding 2 goals to go level all happens in the first half, it just feels like a chaotic first half as opposed to surrendering a good lead.  I think it was a decent point all things considered. 

Also found it interesting about VVD running in a straight line back.  Richard Dunne spoke about it on Irish TV prior to this game (possibly after the Leicester game?) about how the defensive unit at Liverpool don't seem to work for each other.  He said it appears they have their area that they defend at all costs and as such the CBs are separate entities as opposed to a team working together.  I dismissed it at the time, but there may be something in it.

Carra said more or less the same thing, which is what I referenced on the pod. Something to watch out for I think, but even if thats how they play there has to be moments when you scrap that and deal with danger, otherwise it's pretty stupid.