You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Model Building Thread

Preston Red

18 minutes ago, Mike D said:

In the comedians thread I posted American talk show host Tom Snyder who I know very little about chatting to Billy Connolly and he did so a few times and I thought I like this guy, so watched a few more of his interviews including Charles Manson. Do a bit more searching and to my delight, he loved model trains and had them on his show a few times..

And as anyone in to them will always say, it all starts at early childhood.

DCC locos with sound and lights today are almost unbelievable. You can ramp up the engine, coast, lock the engine speed, apply brakes etc. They cost mind.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Andy from Andy's Hobby HQ does some good vids about 'weathering' and stuff. These guys tend to make it look very easy!

I could sit there for hours watching these videos of weathering. I find it fascinating and the effects they get are amazing.

This fellas 109E-7 build from Eduard set me off down the path of weathering:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

I could sit there for hours watching these videos of weathering. I find it fascinating and the effects they get are amazing.

This fellas 109E-7 build from Eduard set me off down the path of weathering:

Yeah it's fascinating how they build up the layers to give the model the authentic look. Im quite patient but I think even Id struggle with the time needed never mind possibly wrecking a very detailed model Ive taken an age to build!

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah it's fascinating how they build up the layers to give the model the authentic look. Im quite patient but I think even Id struggle with the time needed never mind possibly wrecking a very detailed model Ive taken an age to build!

The tanks, armour and ships are a different level to aircraft.

Aircraft come across easier as you only get dirt from airflow or exhausts and runways to add to them to make them look real. Tanks, armour and ships have rust streaks and the suchlike in that video to contend with and those who can do it are on a far higher level than I.

On 13/01/2022 at 13:13, Mike D said:

In the comedians thread I posted American talk show host Tom Snyder who I know very little about chatting to Billy Connolly and he did so a few times and I thought I like this guy, so watched a few more of his interviews including Charles Manson. Do a bit more searching and to my delight, he loved model trains and had them on his show a few times..

And as anyone in to them will always say, it all starts at early childhood.

I don't know anything about model trains, but to see the sheer joy on Tom's face as he was operating the train is beautiful to see. I know Neil Young has a son with cerebral palsy and he built an amazing model train set for his son as a pastime they both could share. Kind of confirms what a class bloke he is.

47 minutes ago, neko said:

thanks for those vids - painting and weathering is something i need to work on.

next two builds are my type 7 u-boat and lancaster bomber

weathering will be a big part of those....all my models are factory finish so far

I enjoy it and there's a few ways to get tonal variation in the camo on aircraft. I used to do the pre-shading as shown in the earlier tank video but then clocked a video on "black-basing". Looked like an arseache at first but the results are pretty effective.

28 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't know anything about model trains, but to see the sheer joy on Tom's face as he was operating the train is beautiful to see. I know Neil Young has a son with cerebral palsy and he built an amazing model train set for his son as a pastime they both could share. Kind of confirms what a class bloke he is.

What a top bloke.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, neko said:

Lots of drinking in wargaming, I see.

Could you expand on how it works ? Is it a box game with rules and instructions and millions of pieces ?

Wargaming is just the generic term. 

I play various games

Bolt action/chain of command (WW2)

Hail Caesar(ancient to medieval)

Black Powder(cover late 1600s to late 1800)

Warhammer Fantasy(fantasy think lotr)

Warhammer 40,000(Sci fi)

Blood Bowl(Fantasy races play a NFL style football)

A few others

You buy,build paint the armies. Each army will have stats for movement,fighting,armour and leadership. You move fight,roll dice etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Wargaming is just the generic term. 

I play various games

Bolt action/chain of command (WW2)

Hail Caesar(ancient to medieval)

Black Powder(cover late 1600s to late 1800)

Warhammer Fantasy(fantasy think lotr)

Warhammer 40,000(Sci fi)

Blood Bowl(Fantasy races play a NFL style football)

A few others

You buy,build paint the armies. Each army will have stats for movement,fighting,armour and leadership. You move fight,roll dice etc. 

cool.

I used to play a digital war game called "War in the Pacific". It literally had every fighting unit in WW2 (ships, planes, ground) and you had to conduct the entire war. All about logistics and strategy.

You could lose not just days, but months playing it. I had an achilles injury for six months, which helped.

Hard to play if you have a life though. If you played an hour a day, it would probably take a year to complete.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...