You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - CC Semi Final 2nd (not 1st!) leg, Thu 20th Jan 2022 (7:45pm)

Trumo

9 hours ago, Butch said:

I had an Arabic stream so I didn't have to mute the bell whiff sly cunts. 

The streaming site I used to use a few years back was an Arabic stream. For all I know, they could have been chatting just as much shit as our commentators and pundits, but it didn't irritate me because I had no idea what they were saying. Every other word was 'Salah' so that might partially explain it.

Last night's game, we rode out Arsenal's early intent (which didn't amount to much end product) and then eased ourselves into the game before getting the goals. It made up for the lacklustre display in the first leg. Sort of like when we played Bayern in 2019, we didn't get going in the first leg at Anfield, but posed a greater threat in the return leg to win the tie comfortably.

12 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Alan Smith's glum voice getting glummer with every passing minute was deeply enjoyable. Excellent work.

On top of all his Gooner bias, his obvious hatred of us, and his extraordinary naffness as a co-commentator (really, how the hell, given how many other ex-pros are now working for Sky, does this sad and boring idiot still get work - blackmail??), he's also stunningly thick.

Did you hear that bit, late on, when the main commentator (it was clear even he was getting fed up of listening to the droning buffoon), mentioned that Milner used to wear 'an Alan Smith shirt' when he was a kid at Leeds, and Smith, completely ignoring the obvious clues, briefly sounded touched that Millie had been a fan ('Really?' he squeaked excitedly). The bloke is just hopeless!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

On top of all his Gooner bias, his obvious hatred of us, and his extraordinary naffness as a co-commentator (really, how the hell, given how many other ex-pros are now working for Sky, does this sad and boring idiot still get work - blackmail??), he's also stunningly thick.

Did you hear that bit, late on, when the main commentator (it was clear even he was getting fed up of listening to the droning buffoon), mentioned that Milner used to wear 'an Alan Smith shirt' when he was a kid at Leeds, and Smith, completely ignoring the obvious clues, briefly sounded touched that Millie had been a fan ('Really?' he squeaked excitedly). The bloke is just hopeless!

In the first minute of the first leg, there was a blatant foul on Alisson and his comment was - 'not much wrong with that challenge'. Commentary went on mute for the rest of both ties after that. Boring, droning, whining prick.

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

That French commentator's endless description of the goal: it needs that ex-Chelski twit Gary Straker to pop up with one of his inimitably pithy translations. Remember when, ludicrously, he was given the gig of 'translating' Ranieri for MOTD etc when Claudio first came in? Ranieri waffled on in fast-paced Italian for about five minutes, and then the pie-faced Straker, straining to look like he actually knew what the hell he was doing, merely remarked, 'He said it was a game of two halves' - and then they both walked off. 

• Upvote 3

That was absolutely brilliant last night, the perfect away performance as Merson put it. Reminded me of us 2018-2020, completely in control and could destroy the opponent at any stage.

Jota deservedly man of the match, perhaps his best performance for us. He was absolutely brilliant in all facets of the game, 2 absolutely brilliant goals, the use of the body to roll opponents, just so intelligent, worked his arse of without the ball, his pressing is a joy to behold and that run up the left to lay it on a plate for Gordan was unbelievable. What a signing, what a player.

Trent has just taken the game to a different standard, genuinely rewriting the script for a fullback. He’s going to be the best full back to ever play the game.

Virgil was excellent, I think his best game for us since his return, positioning was superb, dominant in the air as ever and his distribution was top class.

Honourable mentions to Kelleher, who’s highest compliment I can give is that absolutely nobody panics when he needs to play, genuinely feels like we don’t miss Alisson he’s that good. Jones was excellent in midfield, taking ball in tight spaces and turning them, his pressing was excellent too. A real mature performance from him and Robbo is back to his brilliant best, what a player.

Off to Wembley we go, Sadio, Naby, Thiago and Mo back after Palace. The worlds looking a brighter place, the possibilities are endless this season.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aws said:

Matip didn't look right at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him until after the international break. 

Yeah, I was wondering if he was ill or something. It wasn't just that he made a few errors, it was that he looked unsettled by his errors. 

Luckily, Konaté was excellent when he came on. Whatever was up with Matip, we don't need to play him if he's not 100%.

I went to a England vs RoW game at Wembley in the late 80's with my dad and Uncle. Maradona was part of the RoW team so that was the major draw.  I distintcly remember Alan Smith coming on and being announced as A. Smith. Everyone else had their full name read out.  

32 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think Smith is far too boring to be a top pundit but didn't see any particular issue with him last night , and I thought Atkinson's reffing was pretty good. 

The thing that really annoys me about Smith- and it wasn't particularly in evidence last night, although he does do it quite often- is that he'll make a call on something, it'll be wrong but fair enough, it's a fast-paced game, but then he'll stick to the same call when a slow motion replay makes it obvious he's wrong. At least other pundits like Neville, McCoist etc have the good grace to correct themselves, but not this berk.