You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - CC Semi Final 2nd (not 1st!) leg, Thu 20th Jan 2022 (7:45pm)

Trumo

23 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I dont think ESL drove uefa to the new format. I believe they were always going to expand it out of greed just as they pushed out the Nations league for internationals. For the same reason FIFA are trying to get a world cup every 2 years.....money , money , money and fuck the fans.

The ESL clubs pushed for a new format with the threat that if it didn't give them enough, they'd walk and form the ESL. Pretty much the announcement of the ESL was a retaliation to the new CL format not putting enough money in the pockets of the clubs involved. Agnelli with juve as a founding member of the ESL was actually part of the UEFA group that delivered the new CL format.

4 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Really sorry to hear about your wife Dave. Football is just a bit of a laugh in the bigger picture of things. Once your family and all of our families are okay that's the main thing.

Thanks, RW. She's enjoying a lengthy remission and is in good shape at the moment. The problem is that, if she does catch COVID, she's far more likely to have it severely - or worse - than most people. Hence the ongoing shielding. But, as you say, it's all about perspective and priorities, and as per Klopp, football is merely the most important of all the unimportant things. 

• Upvote 1

On 06/01/2022 at 11:11, DaveT said:

Leicester were the exception that proved the modern day rule. Magnificent achievement, but it only happened because they were knocked out of the cups early, had hardly any injuries - and most importantly, the big money clubs were in a bit of a lull, before re-grouping (i.e. spending a fortune) and disappearing off over the horizon. They won it with a paltry 81 points, ffs! We managed to muscle in, mainly thanks to Klopp.

I remember competing for titles with the likes of QPR ('76?), Watford, Derby, Forest..... clubs that were competing of the back of pure managerial ability and clever, but not necessarily extravagant transfer dealings.

Now, a billion pound investment gets you titles, plus an infrastructure to sustain that success. That will be Newcastle in about 4 years and the likes of us, Spurs, Arsenal, even ManU, clubs that choose to live within their means, will become also-rans. The whole thing is becoming increasingly more pointless. If I feel that way, supporting a club with one of the biggest fan bases in the world and top 10 (5?) for revenue, what must it be like to support mid- and lower-table teams who seem to exist only in order to .....exist? They mostly field weakened teams in cup competitions so that they can focus on staying in the Premier League....... and getting thrashed by City. 

Whislt the closed-shop nature of the ESL was a massive own goal, the media in its entirety overlooked one of the objectives, which was to put in place tighter controls on the spending of City, Chelsea and the like, which UEFA failed so miserably to do. Now, they and Newcastle, have a feee hand to do what they like. 

Fuck me, I'm a miserable git this morning, but 18 months of shielding (my wife is immunocompromised) and not being able to use my season ticket - plus the general state of football - can have that effect.

I hope your wife's ok, Dave. I'm in the same boat as her, and felt really guilty about my wife having to give her social life a long break! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given the weekend of the 29/30th January is the winter break and then we play Leicester and Inter midweek, I think we could successfully argue this is the only time available to play the game.

It’d be wrong to make us play during a winter break. Just because Arsenal don’t have a FA Cup 4th round game doesn’t mean we should be penalised.

Plus, the fume if we got a game postponed while they didn’t, would be brilliant. Although if the do get it postponed, Mane and Salah will likely be available for the rearrangement.

A66DB5D4-CD1E-4530-9E63-1AD34FC6CD17.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given the weekend of the 29/30 is the winter break and then we play Leicester and Inter midweek, I think we could successfully argue this is the only time available to play the game.

It’d be wrong to make us play during a winter break. Just because Arsenal don’t have a FA Cup 4th round game doesn’t mean we should be penalised.

Plus, the fume if we got a game postponed while they didn’t, would be brilliant. Although if the do get it postponed, Mane and Salah will likely be available for the rearrangement.

A66DB5D4-CD1E-4530-9E63-1AD34FC6CD17.jpeg

Well the rule is if it can't be re-arranged before the next fixture of the tournament then it goes down as a forfeit. 

I can't see it, but the fume would be massive if we went through by default. 

9 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Well the rule is if it can't be re-arranged before the next fixture of the tournament then it goes down as a forfeit. 

I can't see it, but the fume would be massive if we went through by default. 

I’d be surprised as well, I’m sure we’d be forced to play the Cardiff game, but it’d be spectacularly funny if we went through by forfeit.

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

There's internationals in South America in that two week break so I can't see it being played then. I wouldn't be shocked if the Leicester game was moved to accommodate it though.

We'll probably be forced to play minus our brazilian lads

Guardian story reports the most shocking news since 9/11:

"Arsenal are optimistic their Carabao Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool will go ahead as planned on Thursday night. It is understood there have been no additional Covid cases in the past two days and a couple of players are likely to be fit after short-term injuries."

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

"Arsenal are optimistic their Carabao Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool will go ahead as planned on Thursday night. It is understood there have been no additional Covid cases in the past two days and a couple of players are likely to be fit after short-term injuries."

Their press office must not know whether they're coming or going. A few days ago, they were briefing the game might be off because they didnt have enough players. About change!

4 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

2E2D751C-9214-42EF-AD97-1F7F045C274B.gif

I was about to say, if it was going to be postponed, we’d have heard they’d have applied by now.

• dave u changed the title to Arsenal (A) - CC Semi Final 2nd (not 1st!) leg, Thu 20th Jan 2022 (7:45pm)