You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Unsung Players/Notable Opponents

VladimirIlyich

1 minute ago, KevieG said:

Probably Irwin. 800k or something from Oldham. 

They just bought better characters. A bit what like Klopp does now. 

I was only thinking of this yesterday listening to Mcmanaman in co-commentary. Seems like a clown

Irwin. 

That's it.

26 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I remember someone did a comparison with the players they bought.. and the ones we got.

They got Keane..we got paul Stewart.

They got schmichael..we got James 

Who was the full back they got and we got dicks?they had him for years. 

There was a big list of them and everyone they got,we could easily have afforded.

The relative signings weren't all in the same transfer window/year. Stewart moved to us a year before Keane joined the Mancs. Schmeichel went to them a year before James moved to us. Irwin joined the Mancs in 1990 while Dicks joined us in 1993. From what I've read, we were in for Pallister until the Mancs offered over £2m for him (massive money in English football back then) so we went for Hysen instead.

On that last one, I think when Lawro left, we never had anyone with a bit of pace in central defence. He wasn't lightning exactly but he could shift. Pallister was similar in that respect. I suggested Des Walker earlier and he was definitely quick, but he was also consistent and reliable which I think would have been beneficial to our defence as a whole.

8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The relative signings weren't all in the same transfer window/year. Stewart moved to us a year before Keane joined the Mancs. Schmeichel went to them a year before James moved to us. Irwin joined the Mancs in 1990 while Dicks joined us in 1993. From what I've read, we were in for Pallister until the Mancs offered over £2m for him (massive money in English football back then) so we went for Hysen instead.

On that last one, I think when Lawro left, we never had anyone with a bit of pace in central defence. He wasn't lightning exactly but he could shift. Pallister was similar in that respect. I suggested Des Walker earlier and he was definitely quick, but he was also consistent and reliable which I think would have been beneficial to our defence as a whole.

I think there is still an argument to be made that every player utd bought, we could easily have got.

There was no magic formula.. we simply chose the wrong players,and they chose the right ones.

9 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I think there is still an argument to be made that every player utd bought, we could easily have got.

There was no magic formula.. we simply chose the wrong players,and they chose the right ones.

They were prepared to spend the cash while Kenny was fighting for every penny with that Noel White fella. It was rumoured White's skinflint behaviour contributed to our downfall and Kenny knowing we couldn't sustain our position at the top. We chased the right players but we couldn't sign them for various reasons,mainly financial.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They were prepared to spend the cash while Kenny was fighting for every penny with that Noel White fella. It was rumoured White's skinflint behaviour contributed to our downfall and Kenny knowing we couldn't sustain our position at the top. We chased the right players but we couldn't sign them for various reasons,mainly financial.

Thats the cunt who stabbed him in the back wasnt it?

I think it was more when souness came in to be honest..that 92-94 period where they began to take over.

Souness was certainly backed with money but whilst they went out and bought very well..we seemed to buy flavour of the month type players

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

Thats the cunt who stabbed him in the back wasnt it?

I think it was more when souness came in to be honest..that 92-94 period where they began to take over.

Souness was certainly backed with money but whilst they went out and bought very well..we seemed to buy flavour of the month type players

They gave the money they should have given to Kenny to Souness. With disasterous results.

Cyrille Regis was a player I really liked back in the 70s and would have loved us to sign back then. Watching highlights of some of his games for West Brom in the late 70s early 80s and he was unstoppable at times. I think he,unfortunately for those times,fell into the racist trope of 'all black players are just fast and strong' and this rubbish ignored his skill and game intelligence.

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Some strange interpretations of "unsung players" here.

N'golo Kante? PFA Player of the Year.

Ossie Ardiles? Literally had a Top Ten single about him.

Its difficult to be 'unsung' in modern football given the 24 hour hype that surrounds the game and almost every top game being televised. 

More of a 'notable opponent' than unsung player but John Robertson of Forest was a love/hate player for me. I too was a chubby(still am) wide player as a young kid and I saw him as a role(roll!) model for us chubby,slow,lazy kids to be half decent players. Hated him for being a rival at the time but respected him for making the most of what he had. Ian Bowyer and Archie Gemmill were two other notable Clough opponents I respected too.

I thought Shilton was overrated in that side though.

Ugo Ehiogu always seemed to be one of the more reliable centre backs around.

Leonardo is probably still best remembered for elbowing an opponent at the 1994 World Cup at a time when he stood out at left back for Brazil, but he was an excellent attacking midfielder and we couldn't cope with him when we played PSG in 1997.

9 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

We beat Birmingham 3-2 in that game jarvinja mentions, it just felt like a loss. Alan Ball when at Arsenal alwys starred againat us. Alan Woodward at Sheffield Utd was a class under rated player.

Great shout. Every top flight team had a few good players back then. Stan Bowles,Tony Currie,Dave Thomas(had a stint at Everton) John Richards,Steve Kindon and many others. Even Alan Brazil was decent before he became a human Puffer Fish.

On 02/01/2022 at 23:11, Trumo said:

On that last one, I think when Lawro left, we never had anyone with a bit of pace in central defence. He wasn't lightning exactly but he could shift. Pallister was similar in that respect. I suggested Des Walker earlier and he was definitely quick, but he was also consistent and reliable which I think would have been beneficial to our defence as a whole.

I think I’ve mentioned it elsewhere on the Forum, but my understanding is that we could have gone for Pallister but chose to spend the money on bringing Rushie back instead - the wrong decision in hindsight, as Aldo was an absolute goal-machine whereas Tosh was never the same player after his spell at Juventus. Pallister wasn’t perfect, and he made a slow start to life in Manchester, but the 1985-86 defence grew old together, and was never really fixed until Houllier’s time.

Spend the money in the defence instead and the options become Venison on the right, Burrows/Staunton/Ablett on the left, Pallister/Hansen/Gillespie in the middle, and Nicol absolutely anywhere in the mix. 

On 02/01/2022 at 21:15, Boss said:

Eidur Gudjohnsen was a very underrated player. When he moved to PSV to play alongside Ronaldo (number 9, not the other tit) they were considered on a similar level. He got a bad injury and ended up at Bolton where he was boss before becoming a good dependable player for Chelsea and Barcelona. 

I still shudder when I see his name. 

I always thought Matt le Tissier was under rated by Ingerland, never really got the games his skills deserved.

Always seemed to be a bit part player, but back then I suppose you could say the same for a lot of our players who never got the games they really deserved, God, Carra, Clemence, for example, seemed to always be second or third choice over lesser players.

Especially when you look at who got picked ahead of them.