You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) - Sun 2nd Jan 2022 (4:30pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

It’s got fuck all to do with nice.  Klopp will know this squad can’t afford a pile of games being rearranged and shoved in during the run in when we realistically should be still in the champions league.

Leagus is done now anyway.  All that’s left is securing 4th.

Playing some our hardest aways with a depleted side is not a good idea for helping us secure top 4 though is it.

It cost us 2 pts at Tottenham and likely will cost us 3 tomorrow.

Shit timing to be playing a game like this but I reckon we will do to Chelsea what Leicester did to us. We went into that match with more rest and fewer injuries but shit hit the fan. Let's leave them fuming because they lost to a weakened Liverpool side. 

Huge game though, win it and we're still in the title race I reckon, blue mancs are due a fuck up soon, we need to be in a position to capitalise when that happens. 

2 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Shit timing to be playing a game like this but I reckon we will do to Chelsea what Leicester did to us. We went into that match with more rest and fewer injuries but shit hit the fan. Let's leave them fuming because they lost to a weakened Liverpool side. 

Huge game though, win it and we're still in the title race I reckon, blue mancs are due a fuck up soon, we need to be in a position to capitalise when that happens. 

They had the fuck up today but were carried through it by officiating.

19 minutes ago, J-V said:

They had the fuck up today but were carried through it by officiating.

Just seen a replay of the city pen. Fuck me, Silva goes down in 12 monthly installments and even then stops to have a Costa. The 'dive' at the end would have won Tom Daley an Olympic gold.

It's laughable that gets awarded yet Jota being blocked off in that recent Spurs game is waved away as him 'slowing down' and 'looking for the contact'!

• Like 1

I thought the penalty City got today was a stonewall penalty. Yes, he dived but Xhaka had a hold of his jersey and tripped him. The only surprise to me was the ref didn't give it straight away.

City do get their fair share of decisions but I don't have any complaints about that one.

On 29/12/2021 at 18:48, Trumo said:

The first game of the new year, and it’s taken on more significance that it had prior to the Leicester game. That damp squib has raised (or re-raised) many questions. We are nowhere near as bad as an England test batting line-up but we did a passable impression of Joe Root’s hapless Ashes XI by shitting down our own leg. That needs to be eradicated, pronto, as we will be without 2 of our 3 best attackers for the best part of a month after this game. What do we need?

Grit. Heart. Organisation. Strength. Tactical flexibility. Give no quarter. Offensive cohesion. Ability. Luck.

I don’t ask for much.

We had all of that in abundance in May 1986. A squad that had looked second best to Everton until around March was now in a position where they could reclaim the league title at the expense of their neighbours. And there was still an FA Cup final to come against Howard Kendall’s men. But first there was the small matter of seeing the job through against a Chelsea team led by John Hollins, and with the prolific Kerry Dixon up front. See it through we most certainly did. Whelan miscued a shot from the edge of the area. It bounced off a Chelsea player back to the Irishman, who leapt to flick the ball on. Skippy was in attendance, volleying the ball over the back of the Chelsea defence to The King. He chested the ball down and smacked it past the goalkeeper. Now that we had the lead, it didn’t matter what Everton did in their match (they and Lineker were swatting Southampton aside at the Boo Camp) as long as we held on.

Joyous scenes greeted the final whistle, and it’s one of my abiding memories of watching footage of that era, seeing Kenny sitting in the dressing room afterwards just taking it all in. His first season as player-manager and he was about to deliver the club’s first league and cup double. Incidentally, I always found Stamford Bridge to be a weird ground as the used the areas behind the goals as a car park. Normally you’d only see a vehicle near the playing surface at cavernous concrete bowls behind the Iron Curtain, and it was usually a police van with an officer stationed beside it holding an AK-47 in one hand, and a leash affixed to a rabid Alsatian who was going mental at the supporters behind a fence in the other.

The surprise box office hit at the beginning of May 1986 was a fictional (or maybe semi-biographical) story called Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling, starring the legendary Richard Pryor. It’s about a young man trying to make it as a stand-up comedian while snorting and freebasing shitloads of Colombian marching powder and shagging hewwers. So real-life then. It even includes a scene where his character burns himself while freebasing, which is something that happened to Pryor himself. I hadn’t even heard of this film until researching for this themed series of match Ops, but I am very familiar with some of his stand-up and his acting career. He was a crazy bastard but one of the funniest people around. A lot of the jokes from Live In Concert would not fly in this PC-woke word we live in today, but they are still incredibly funny. That story about the Chinese restaurant will bring you to tears!

This is our last game before our African contingent fly out to Cameroon for the AFCON. Money is the only reason for holding it every 2 years. Shit, when several influential people are pushing for an even bigger money spinner in the World Cup to be held every 2 years, of course the continental federations like CAF are going to push for more regular international competitions on their continent. Jurgen has already had his say on the matter.

We need to be avoiding the sloppiness that has characterised our play in a number of games this season. We need to be effective in the middle of the park, attacking and defending. We also need to be more ruthless in the final third. We can do it. We know we can do it. We just have to go out there and do it. A result at Stamford Bridge has previously led to great things for us. Make it so again.

I was there. What was astonishing in hindsight was that I just got a bus to Chelsea and bought  a £5 ticket on the gate. Nowadays you would need loads of credits on your account and the ticket would go for £100s on the black market. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Mook said:

I thought the penalty City got today was a stonewall penalty. Yes, he dived but Xhaka had a hold of his jersey and tripped him. The only surprise to me was the ref didn't give it straight away.

City do get their fair share of decisions but I don't have any complaints about that one.

It's more the blatant penalty Arsenal didn't get in the first half.  The ref not even being told to review it like City's Pen.

As I said weeks ago the refs in the PL are having more effect on results than the actual teams playing.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, J-V said:

It's more the blatant penalty Arsenal didn't get in the first half.  The ref not even being told to review it like City's Pen.

As I said weeks ago the refs in the PL are having more effect on results than the actual teams playing.

I didn't see the incident in the first half, what you are saying doesn't surprise me though.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Agree. City's penalty was compounded by the constant shirt pulling just to convince the ref in case he wasn't sure on the contact. Xhaka is a fuckin idiot,and shit too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

If anything Xhaka’s grip helped the cunt not hitting the ground faster. 

Should be booked for diving. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mook said:

They're both clear penalties IMO.

Possibly in the modern era but I find it pretty grim that a blatant dive is now considered a foul.  I liked it during the Euro's when refs were a lot more lenient when it came to mimimal contact fouls/shirt tugs. Xhaka is an idiot at the best of times but that force of shirt pull doesn't pull even a 2 year old to the ground.  There are far far too many penalties in the modern game. Persoanlly I think the threshold of a foul needs to be much higher, let there be a bit more physcial contact allowed and let the game flow.

Anyway - our game. Not confident in the slightest for tomorrow. I'd normally expect a reaction from the previous game but with all the disruptions I'm not confident at all.  Chelsea will defend deep & narrow, sit back & try & hit us on the break.

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I was there. What was astonishing in hindsight was that I just got a bus to Chelsea and bought  a £5 ticket on the gate. Nowadays you would need loads of credits on your account and the ticket would go for £100s on the black market. 

I was at the game , but don't remember that garage behind the goal at all. Other than Kenny's goal my only main memory is their DJ ' playing ' We are the champions ' at the end.

2 hours ago, George Costanza said:

Possibly in the modern era but I find it pretty grim that a blatant dive is now considered a foul.  I liked it during the Euro's when refs were a lot more lenient when it came to mimimal contact fouls/shirt tugs. Xhaka is an idiot at the best of times but that force of shirt pull doesn't pull even a 2 year old to the ground.  There are far far too many penalties in the modern game. Persoanlly I think the threshold of a foul needs to be much higher, let there be a bit more physcial contact allowed and let the game flow.

Anyway - our game. Not confident in the slightest for tomorrow. I'd normally expect a reaction from the previous game but with all the disruptions I'm not confident at all.  Chelsea will defend deep & narrow, sit back & try & hit us on the break.

I find it hard to believe what will be hugely depleted Liverpool team will get 3 pts away at the at least 3rd best team in the league.

We lost 2 pts at Tottenham because of being depleted, any pts lost tomorrow with another depleted line up tomorrow kill our feint title hopes....and its absolute bollocks it is the case - league has zero integrity this season IMO.

Even 2020 when pandemic hit didn't see the bollocks we are seeing now where depleted teams are facing full strength ones and where some clubs have had nice 2 week breaks and others haven't.

Its a farce.