You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) - Sun 2nd Jan 2022 (4:30pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

So by not applying their own fair play rules they have managed to kill the premiership as a spectacle two years in a row. Interest and viewers will drop if this continues. Would not be surprised if the officials are instructed to make it a bit more interesting in the next few games or if city drop a few points to make it a bit more interesting. UAE has got a massive grip on the game now from top to bottom money is changing hands. 

Its like using the editor on Footy Manager, if your struggling give yourself millions in the editor and go and buy Haaland / Mbappe and Van Dijk its fun at first but when you win every trophy without trying it soon becomes boring and you lose interest (theres only so many 6-0 wins against Madrid in the CL final you can take) thats what City and Chelsea before them have done and because FIFA did fuck all about it PSG joined in and still nothing was done so now Newcastle will have a go over the next 5 years or so still nothing will be done before you know it they will create their own little super league in their own countries it will be PSG bidding £150m for Haaland so City will bid £160m Chelsea will go £165m and eventually Newcastle with go £200m all other clubs will be left behind. Some fat cat in Switzerland is sitting on mounds of arab dollars.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Draws draws draws. Seven for Chelsea, six for us. In contrast, City have two. I don’t want to get into the reasons why. If we end up drawing at the Etihad, then it will mean that we couldn’t be separated from either Chelsea or City which is remarkable in the sense that we clearly are so far behind in spending and squad depth.

A lot of dropped points have come recently during a hectic December schedule where both teams have had to put out weakened teams due to injuries & covid.  Other teams have managed to get nice 2 week breaks after crying off saying they can't field a team while City have been very fortunte to play teams who themselevs have been severly weakened.  They don't need any luck but they have had an awful lot in the past month - everything has gone their way

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

If you think we can win it now Scott good luck to you mate. Think you will be in a very small minority probably worldwide. 

It’s what is super fans do!

I jest. Of course. 

I agree it looks like City are cruising to it, there is simply no other way to look at it. Stranger things have happened. Newcastle 12 points at this stage of the season. We blew 10 points (I know they had games in hand but still…). 

My point is (and I’ve had a few beers) is if we don’t go for it, we don’t do it. If we keep winning, maybe, MAYBE, City will cock up. But if we don’t do our thing, it’s over.

We’ve dropped a good few points this season when we’ve been winning. 
Thiago not being available enough is a killer as is someone like Gini who could hold onto the ball and recycle it. 

City will the the league by a decent margin.

Fingers crossed when the champions league starts back our squad situation will be a lot healthier.

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

My mate's dad was a season ticket holder for 50 years and used to say that he hadn't seen a free kick given against us that he agreed with since Ronnie Moran put a winger in Walton Hospital  A & E in the mid 60's. He died last year ' so there is an opening , tb.

Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass. I share my bigoted view of the game with close friends - yes, I have some - and family. Some of these younger folk wouldn't know real footballing bias iif it wheelied pass them on an electric bike - and don't get me started on their reasonable appraisal of matches they've seen: "City are a good team"!  Brainwashed by the know nothings on Sky and BT. We've lost the game to statistics and fair mindedness.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, elvis said:

Stupid challenge and completely unnecessary , just when we needed to be we smart for another 5 minutes . If you cannot see that , it's your fucking problem.

It was down in the corner right outside our box, and their player was trying to get inside our box. So to say it’s uneccesary depends how you see it I guess. Milner was one of too few players who stood his ground physically against them and didnt give them a free ride through our midfield. You’ll give away the odd free kick in football, and I also reckon it was a close call in that situation as he had his body between the ball and the opponent. He could have done better probably, and fine of we disagree on that situation.

It’s when you say «it’s all on Milner» that I call bullshit. Cause it clearly wasn’t, he was far from our worst performer. And in 99% of the cases I’ll say this «it’s all on him» attitude is fucking bullshit anyway.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It was down in the corner right outside our box, and their player was trying to get inside our box. So to say it’s uneccesary depends how you see it I guess. Milner was one of too few players who stood his ground physically against them and didnt give them a free ride through our midfield. You’ll give away the odd free kick in football, and I also reckon it was a close call in that situation as he had his body between the ball and the opponent. He could have done better probably, and fine of we disagree on that situation.

It’s when you say «it’s all on Milner» that I call bullshit. Cause it clearly wasn’t, he was far from our worst performer. And in 99% of the cases I’ll say this «it’s all on him» attitude is fucking bullshit anyway.

Didn't even attempt going for the ball , it was his second nibble -  totally unnecessary and stupid , particularly at that given time. The whole game changed at that moment. 

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It’s what is super fans do!

I jest. Of course. 

I agree it looks like City are cruising to it, there is simply no other way to look at it. Stranger things have happened. Newcastle 12 points at this stage of the season. We blew 10 points (I know they had games in hand but still…). 

My point is (and I’ve had a few beers) is if we don’t go for it, we don’t do it. If we keep winning, maybe, MAYBE, City will cock up. But if we don’t do our thing, it’s over.

The biggest issue is that we don’t look like a team that can keep a clean sheet this season, which is precisely why we have 6 draws and 12 dropped points.

quite honestly, I think the players know it too, but I do think they collectively have one eye on the European Cup and we are formidable in that competition. There is not one team that doesn’t shit themselves coming to Anfield on a European night.

1 minute ago, Red Shift said:

The biggest issue is that we don’t look like a team that can keep a clean sheet this season, which is precisely why we have 6 draws and 12 dropped points.

quite honestly, I think the players know it too, but I do think they collectively have one eye on the European Cup and we are formidable in that competition. There is not one team that doesn’t shit themselves coming to Anfield on a European night.

I don’t disagree with a word of that. I 100% think we’ll be there or there abouts in the CL.

And we have a great chance the League Cup.

We should still be pushing for the League though. 

We are like Keegan's Newcastle right now. Great to watch but completely naive.

Spurs away: Right result. A bit of nous and we get three points. Ref disgraceful which cost us but Spurs could have had five.

Leicester away: We deserved the three points but criminally wasteful.

Chelsea away: Criminal the way we gave away the two goals within minutes of each other. The result was fair and on paper a good point.

We seem to have regressed and it's more than a sticky spell. All season we've been cavallier when we just need a bit of cop on. Cop on against Brentford and Brighton and that's four points right there. Cop on at Spurs and today and regardless of whether we deserve to win those games, we have four more points. Leicester annoyed me more than any of them, but on a different day we could have smashed them by four or five. The thing is, we can't blame the lads coming in like Kelleher and Tsimikas (both very promising lads who I rate) or injuries or hectic schedule. This is on experienced players not doing what good players should do.

I don't buy this shite that City are invincible. They were lucky to beat Wolves and possibly deserved to lose yesterday against Arsenal. They will drop points, but unfortunately we will drop quite a few more. I think we will walk top 4 so maybe a shot at winning a domestic trophy and a right good go in Europe.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, elvis said:

Didn't even attempt going for the ball , it was his second nibble -  totally unnecessary and stupid , particularly at that given time. The whole game changed at that moment. 

The whole game changed at that moment. You reckon we were fairly comfortable then up until that point? They were steamrolling us mate, and we lost every second ball in midfield. If you think that one moment changed the game, fair enough, I respect that’s your view on it.

To say us not winning is all on Milner, I still find being bullshit.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn’t be too critical of Milner. Kelleher got freakishly good contact on the free kick, looked like he’d batted it away from danger, then a one-in-a-hundred finish from Kovacic. Brilliant take from him.

How dreadful are our own free kicks/corners, though?  

• Upvote 2

Something needs to change. That's at least the 4th time we've let slip a 2-goal lead (Milan, Atletico and Brighton are the others I can think of), and we must be approaching double figures for letting an advantage slip.

I don't know what the solution is but I feel an injection of new blood might kickstart something. The squad is still very strong but Klopp and co need to guard against staleness setting in amongst some of those who have done so brilliantly well for him in recent years.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Wouldn’t be too critical of Milner. Kelleher got freakishly good contact on the free kick, looked like he’d batted it away from danger, then a one-in-a-hundred finish from Kovacic. Brilliant take from him.

How dreadful are our own free kicks/corners, though?  

I thought Milner was excellent today. He broke up loads of attacks in the first half.

Yeah, needless free kick for their first goal but it was still an unbelievable strike. 

I was thinking in the first half what a nothing player Kovacic is. I was happy when he lined that shot up…. I was wrong. 

48 minutes ago, sir roger said:

My mate's dad was a season ticket holder for 50 years and used to say that he hadn't seen a free kick given against us that he agreed with since Ronnie Moran put a winger in Walton Hospital  A & E in the mid 60's. He died last year ' so there is an opening , tb.

Some injury that.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Something needs to change. That's at least the 4th time we've let slip a 2-goal lead (Milan, Atletico and Brighton are the others I can think of), and we must be approaching double figures for letting an advantage slip.

I don't know what the solution is but I feel an injection of new blood might kickstart something. The squad is still very strong but Klopp and co need to guard against staleness setting in amongst some of those who have done so brilliantly well for him in recent years.

It’s got to the point this season that unless we are 3 or 4 up my heart is in my mouth every time the other team go up our end of the pitch. I don’t even expect us to close these leads out anymore. So fucking depressing.

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t disagree with a word of that. I 100% think we’ll be there or there abouts in the CL.

And we have a great chance the League Cup.

We should still be pushing for the League though. 

We’ll give Europe a good rattle, as always. It’s our domain. By the time the second round resumes, the ANC will be over and the current Covid wave will have subsided. 

I’d be less inclined to rest players for the domestic cups given where we find ourselves now. 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I thought Milner was excellent today. He broke up loads of attacks in the first half.

Yeah, needless free kick for their first goal but it was still an unbelievable strike. 

I was thinking in the first half what a nothing player Kovacic is. I was happy when he lined that shot up…. I was wrong. 

Yeah, Milner was effectively our midfield for the first half. 

I like Kovacic. He’d improve us a fair bit at the moment, unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We’ll give Europe a good rattle, as always. It’s our domain. By the time the second round resumes, the ANC will be over and the current Covid wave will have subsided. 

I’d be less inclined to rest players for the domestic cups given where we find ourselves now. 

It depends what we want.

It’s a stretch to see us not being at least 3rd, so top 4 is significant rest in the league game, first 11 in the cups.

Challenge on all fronts obviously isn’t that. Given where we are in the League Cup, I think we should be all in and we’ll obviously be all in on the CL. 

IMO, we should still be going on all fronts, however, given where we are in the League Cup, the FA Cup should 4th in our list of priorities. 

I don’t want to sound defeatist, absolutely not, I fully expect our side that lines up at Arsenal to be stronger than the one that lines up against Shewsbury. 

8 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Milner was fine today. Just seems any mistake we make defensively seems to be instantly punished.

Agreed.

Milner made a foul, probably needlessly, on a guy making his way into the box.

We defend the free kick well, Keheller’s punch gets height and distance, an unbelievable volley costs us. 

99 / 100, we get away with that. 

Disappointing, obviously, but an incredible goal. 

If it was City, VAR would have flagged Rudiger offside.