You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester City 1 Liverpool 0 (Dec 28 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

What a difference a week makes. Six days ago our second eleven triumphed over a fresh and rested Leicester despite them fielding their best line up. Now we were the ones rested up and fielding our strongest side (minus Robbo and Thiago) and they were coming off an energy sapping 6-3 loss at the Etihad a couple of days earlier. And somehow we fucking lost.

Honestly, I feel like this is the worst result we’ve had since Klopp arrived. I know how that sounds but I mean it. All things considered, this is the fucking worst defeat we’ve had under Klopp and it’s definitely the most inexcusable. We had some bad ones last season but there were no fans in stadiums and the whole thing was a charade that meant nothing. So I can easily shrug off anything that happened last season, including losing 7-1 (or was it 7-2?) at Villa and even losing to Everton at Anfield. 

We’ve had other bad defeats scattered throughout Klopp’s reign but we weren’t as accomplished a side as we are now so that was always something that could happen from time to time. This team is playing to win titles and the stakes are high in every game. You can't afford cheap losses and this team should NEVER be fucking losing this game. I’m struggling to keep a lid on how pissed off I am about it.

I’d already decided prior to the game I wasn’t going to do the podcast on the final whistle and thank fuck for that as I’d have been doing the full Arsenal Fan TV mindless ranting. I know if I’d done it I’d have been embarrassed about it a couple of days later when I calmed down, and even this report will probably contain some things I might want to back away from a little when the dust settles. Right now though I’m definitely in a throwing the toys out of the pram frame of mind.

And you know something else? I don’t ever want to hear Klopp fucking moaning about how “impossible” two games in three days is. He had me convinced and I was happy to fight his corner over it. But it’s absolute fucking bollocks. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Klopp is a brilliant manager, but his whining about the Christmas schedule was one day going to bite us on the arse.  

I love him, but his attitude to this time of the season has never been good.

I'd have thought a high-scoring banker against Leeds at home on Boxing Day would have been just the thing we needed to keep some sort of pressure on City.

• Upvote 2

City will drop points but we obviously will too. I think the title is a pipe dream but the European cup is a reality. The club really needs to blow the cobwebs out of its wallet this summer and show some ambitions and I think klopp needs to cut some deadwood in this squad, too many players who have constant niggles and when they get a chance average one good game every 5. Its difficult were a great side at a time were being great still may not be enough.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I felt the same after the Mane chance. This game went from looking like a business as usual easy win, to looking like it was going to be a slog, to a complete embarrassment of a performance. The Brighton game is the one that I've kept thinking of every time I've looked at the table, especially when they then went about 2 months without winning or barely scoring after it, but performance wise this was way worse. We looked like the team who lost all those games in January and February but without any of the excuses back then. I'm struggling to care what happens at Chelsea now. Lose and we're certainly done, but even a win will just highlight what a shit and completely avoidable result this was.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much nailed it Dave.

I was only thinking this week how much sense our managers talk, everyone agrees with what they say but no-one has the balls to back us up.

Having said that, it always bites us in the arse and costs titles.

Long way back from this defeat.

Also, if we're so worried about AFCON implications, stop signing players who maybe affected.

Still gutted about the result last night. Mo scores the pen and its a different game but even so too many of our lads had a poor game. Disappointed with Trents lack of awareness for their goal ,Lookman ran past him to receive the pass from their man out wide. What made it worse for me was that I was Beglinned on my stream. He is such an annoying twat and seems to delight in seeing us fail. I had to turn off the sound at ht just to retain my sanity. Going to be tough now to get back in the race but not over yet.

• Upvote 1

Yep, I was disgusted by the whole game. I thought we were poor the first half, slow, too deliberate. The second half was inexcusable, agreed about everything you say. Matip apart the players and manager were just not at it. 

There's a look of having kept the team together a year too much, we need freshening up. 

Lookman seems to reserve his good games for us, but we made it so easy for him. But he showed what running direct at a defence can do, as did Salah for the penalty. Did we do it again?

Just crap.

I completely get the deflation, but I find a game like last night where we only have ourselves to blame much easier to move on from than games like the draw at White Hart Lane where we’ve been shafted by inept refereeing and/or VAR. 

The Chelsea game is now huge, though. I’m more stupidly optimistic than most but we probably need to win to keep our domestic season alive, though I’ll convince myself otherwise if we draw.

To my eyes, we look vulnerable at the back in most games this season in a way that we haven’t done since Virgil arrived. He hasn’t yet returned to the level he was at before, and a constantly rotating midfield cast probably doesn’t help, nor does the moving on to PSG of a player who played more minutes there than anyone else. 

Finally, Curtis Jones would surely have offered us more than Firmino did as a substitute last night. 

• Upvote 1

One of the rare occasions in 20 years reading you that I can’t agree. We were not that good, but we had many chances to score, starting by the penalty. It’s one of these days, it’s football unfortunately. Mo has  been fantastic for a few month now but he’s looked a bit off for a few games. His penalty was awful and he should have scored in the first half when Schmeichel saved it. The table does not look good right now for sure, so one game at a time, beat Chelsea and see how things pans out when CL resumes.  

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic