You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Bringing back five substitutes would be a sensible decision

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has again called for the re-introduction of five subs to overcome the Omicron strain, which is wreaking havoc on Premier League fixtures during the last few weeks.

Since December 12th, there have been 13 games which have had to be postponed including Liverpool’s Boxing Day fixture with Leeds United.

As well as games not going ahead, there has been mixed messaging regarding what exactly fits the criteria of a postponement with some clubs including Chelsea and Crystal Palace having late claims rejected by the Premier League while fans of Aston Villa and Burnley were only given two hours notice of the cancellation of that fixture.

Klopp has been a vocal critic over the amount of games during the festive period and TV networks having too much of a say over fixturing, was asked at his press conference ahead of the Leicester clash what he would do to get things back on track per Metro.

“It’s a real problem because it’s the right decision [to reintroduce five subs], especially in this moment, because you bring players back after a Covid infection or after an injury and because of the amount of games you have to play, they have to play immediately.

"We have to put the competition aside and don’t say, “Well [Manchester] City have better subs than Southampton, we have better subs than Burnley” or whatever.

"The problem is, this intensity for top-class football in England is definitely at the edge. So it means a top-class player in England plays 38 games in the Premier League, two cup competitions, so even if you don’t go to the final lets add on another five, so 43 games.

‘They have international games with the national teams, because pretty much all of them play for their national teams, so eight or nine, maybe 10 games a year – so you can count that. Plus Champions League, the further you go the more games it is, so pretty quickly you’re at an area of more than 50 games – or higher. My first season here, the [Europa League] final was the 64th game.”

Jurgen.Klopp-711.jpg

Klopp alluded to the fact that a few of the smaller teams in the division like Burnley were not in favour of adding a few extra subs meaning that it did not get the tick of approval.

“We have squads and can swap, but there are some key players that only get out when they are injured pretty much, so that’s how it is. But now the decision about it [extra subs] is made, and we realised in the manager’s meeting it was like that. The decision is made by 14 clubs, you need 14 votes to change it. And there is something wrong.

‘As an example, Burnley, I’m not sure how many players of them play international football. When our players have three games, they have no games. So they play 38 Premier League games, cup games – another two, three, four – so that makes it 42.

“So we’re talking about an issue that some clubs definitely have, some players definitely have, but it’s decided by other teams. And because we’ve made kind of a competition of it, other teams are like, “Well no, they are better than us” and stuff like this. And that’s a real problem, I have to say.”

Klopp had a clear message for the Premier League saying by not doing the sensible thing they are diluting their own product.

‘So this wonderful game is so wonderful because usually the players on the pitch are in good shape, are well trained, are well recovered and go for it. And that’s why we love the game. And now the situation is clear, if we don’t do that, it’s now much more difficult.

‘And again, one example of it, the best league in the world, the most intense league in the world, is the only league in Europe – maybe the world, I don’t know – with still three subs. And that’s not right. It’s not.

‘But we came through until here, that’s how it is. I still think we have to talk about it. We should change it, but it’s for the Premier League. Richard Masters said he would like to make this decision himself but he can’t because you need a vote and other clubs, with different problems, say, “No we don’t want to have five subs” and so I don’t see a real chance to change it, to be honest.”

View full article

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I do have sympathy for the smaller clubs here but I am probably in favour of increasing it temporarily,which would probably mean for goodif that happened. If the current happenings weren't evidence of how much the PL only care about the cash generated then nothing will convince anybody.

I actually think there’s likely a number of benefits to smaller clubs.

While they dont have as much quality in their squads which is obviously an issue, but additional fresh legs would help them protect leads / go for it in the latter stages of games. 

it would also allow them to rest / protect their better players as they won’t be expected to run themselves into the ground every game and also allow them to give minutes to younger players getting them into the shop window or allowing them to develop. 

the other thing is it would allow for more development of the tactical side of the game. Teams and managers will have more influence on matches and they could change things up if it’s not working. Appreciate that bigger clubs also benefit from the above but I don’t think it’s as

one sided as it’s being made out.

• Upvote 2

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

There is not 1 viable reason to keep it at 3 subs.

This is typical Britain thinking they know better than everyone else.

I'm just surprised the word "tradition" wasn't used somehow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aws said:

Just have three subs plus two home-grown under-21 or 23s. 

Not a bad idea but some \ all the 14 smaller clubs will just say 'your 2 home grown U23s are better than ours so no.'

These fools arent interested in protecting players or, having players sufficiently recovered to play at their top performances. They're too short sighted.

This was KB'd back last season when they also had discussions around the offer for the Championship teams and bailing some of them out, but it was KB'd back then by the lower teams in premier league as they saw it as the top teams gaining an advantage.

Fear and loathing will stop this happening and will have fuck all to do with common sense or players welfare.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, m0e said:

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

There is not 1 viable reason to keep it at 3 subs.

This is typical Britain thinking they know better than everyone else.

I'm just surprised the word "tradition" wasn't used somehow.

Can't remember who it was I saw interviewed on Ssn yesterday (maybe hasenhuttl), saying they respect the Christmas programme but the pressure players are under with covid and the games being so close is unbearable but we've been told "it's part of the test in this country". 

I don't really understand why it all has to be so mental. It's just 2 games a week like it normally is. Even if they want to cover as many days as possible for TV, they could group teams together, so they all got the same breaks. There's just no need to put fixtures 48 hours apart. 

• Upvote 1