You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Time travel

dockers_strike

Just been watching a YT vid exploring the concept of time travel as the known laws of physics do not prevent it, apparently!

Assuming you had some sort of protection so you wouldnt be killed by the experience, if you could travel forwards or backwards in time, which would you choose to do and why? If backwards, what period in time would you go to or, if going forward, how far into the future would you want to go?

Ive often thought if I could travel through time, Id go back to the Roman era or, to the time of dinosaurs. But we have some information and knowledge of those times already. So, Id go forward in time, into the unknown to see what progress (or not!) we had made. It's then a question of how far into the future Id want to go, 500 years, 1,000, 5,000 further?

On reflection, it would be 1,000 years. Had we colonise the outer Solar System moons, discovered near light speed travel, visited Alpha Centauri? Would civilisation still be existing?

• Like 1

There's a few things I would like to see first hand, but I would love to have been late teens in 1950's America to witness the Rock & Roll explosion first hand. The music, the cars,

what a time that must have been.

Edit,  I'd go back to 1981 as well and live through to 87 again. Good times. I didn't have a lot to piss in, but good times. I've never been happier than then.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Melchett said:

If, as the scientific community seem to be convinced that time travel is possible, we can assume that if it can happen then it will, and if it will happen then it most probably already has. 

Yer get me?

So anyone could be a time traveler?

Maybe that’s what flying saucers are? Some rich wankers from the distant future travelling back to visit us like a zoo not sure what the anal probs are about though.

on a more serious note I’d love to see some big historical events and close out some gaps in our knowledge but realistically I’d like to go into the future to see if we make it and check up on any descendants. Wouldn’t want to go too far though as I think the technological jumps would prob warp our minds, just think about how much the world changed in just 100 years.

Assuming the time machine can also travel to places and not just leave me in the same spot at a different time. I'd go check out the area as JFK gets shot, I'd go to roswell and all the other supposed ufo spotting sites knowing my luck I'd crash at roswell realising it was me all along. Every mystery I'd scratch that itch. Go see Jesus, the dinosaurs, see who Jack the ripper was then I'd come back and write a book with my "theories"

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Assuming the time machine can also travel to places and not just leave me in the same spot at a different time. I'd go check out the area as JFK gets shot, I'd go to roswell and all the other supposed ufo spotting sites knowing my luck I'd crash at roswell realising it was me all along. Every mystery I'd scratch that itch. Go see Jesus, the dinosaurs, see who Jack the ripper was then I'd come back and write a book with my "theories"

Not forgetting the winning numbers for Euromillions.

20 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Always think time travel sounds better than it would be. You'd probably spend most of your time struggling to communicate and hopelessly lost. Like a shit camping holiday in ancient Greece.

Good point. If you travelled back to before about 1450, they reckon you wouldnt be able to communicate with people in England because the language has changed so much.

Obviously there'd have to be other 'protections' in place such as not being able to change history, not get killed while in the past.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Good point. If you travelled back to before about 1450, they reckon you wouldnt be able to communicate with people in England because the language has changed so much.

Obviously there'd have to be other 'protections' in place such as not being able to change history, not get killed while in the past.

Yeah, if the past really is another country I'd definitely want my jabs before I go.