You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Time travel

dockers_strike

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Good point. If you travelled back to before about 1450, they reckon you wouldnt be able to communicate with people in England because the language has changed so much.

Obviously there'd have to be other 'protections' in place such as not being able to change history, not get killed while in the past.

The language point is very interesting. It's why Bill and Ted was far fetched!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Melchett said:

They don't, they can't and they haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8lBIcHre0

Soz lids, dunno how to embed videos

I'm not having that time travel isn't possible, maybe it isn't but no physicist can rule it out given that our understanding of 'the rules' changes constantly.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not having that time travel isn't possible, maybe it isn't but no physicist can rule it out given that our understanding of 'the rules' changes constantly.

Time travel is happening all the time, the most basic understanding around light years prove that its happening now although to achieve this you're going to need to travel at light-speed +1 mph which is impossible.

Its a friggin paradox man.

30 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Time travel is happening all the time, the most basic understanding around light years prove that its happening now although to achieve this you're going to need to travel at light-speed +1 mph which is impossible.

Its a friggin paradox man.

I travel through time constantly, at a steady rate of 60 minutes an hour.

On 27/12/2021 at 11:00, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Always think time travel sounds better than it would be. You'd probably spend most of your time struggling to communicate and hopelessly lost. Like a shit camping holiday in ancient Greece.

It's the food that would stop me going backwards, in particular.

You read up about how tomatoes weren't widely consumed in Europe until 200 years ago and the like and you realise just how blessed we are, food-wise. Most people 200+ years ago probably almost never ate anything that came from more than 100 km from where they lived. Even kings rarely ate anything you'd even compare to a good pizza or Chinese takeout.

5 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It's the food that would stop me going backwards, in particular.

You read up about how tomatoes weren't widely consumed in Europe until 200 years ago and the like and you realise just how blessed we are, food-wise. Most people 200+ years ago probably almost never ate anything that came from more than 100 km from where they lived. Even kings rarely ate anything you'd even compare to a good pizza or Chinese takeout.

Good point. Bathroom facilities would be the sticking point for me. I don't want to meet Jesus if I've got an itchy arse.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'd change history by replacing the Nazi high command at the Nuremberg Rally with Freddy Mercury. 

Zieg Ay-oh
(Ay-oh)
Zieg Ay-oh
(Ay-oh)
Zieg Dee, da-de-da-de-da-de-da-de-da-de-da-de-doh
(Dee, da-de-da-de-da-de-da-de-da-de-da-de-doh)
De-doh
(De-doh)

gettyimages-802464524-612x612 (1).jpg

Hahahahahaha 

“in ordnung!” 

Ignoring the dangers and inability to communicate, I'd 100% be going back in time and not forward. 

I'd like to have seen 

The Dinosaurs and Ice Age.

The rise and fall of Egypt,Rome,Greek World.

Alexander march from Macedon into Babylon,Afghanistan and North India. 

The rise of the Mongols

Waterloo/Trafalgar 

A few bands in the 50/60

Buy a dozen Les Paul 1959s to bring home and a quick stop to the bookies with about 20 grand on the 10/2/90 to throw on Buster Douglas at 42/1

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Ignoring the dangers and inability to communicate, I'd 100% be going back in time and not forward. 

I'd like to have seen 

The Dinosaurs and Ice Age.

The rise and fall of Egypt,Rome,Greek World.

Alexander march from Macedon into Babylon,Afghanistan and North India. 

The rise of the Mongols

Waterloo/Trafalgar 

A few bands in the 50/60

Buy a dozen Les Paul 1959s to bring home and a quick stop to the bookies with about 20 grand on the 10/2/90 to throw on Buster Douglas at 42/1

Yeah I'd like to do it all in a safe bubble, just float around and nobody can see me but I can watch everything happening. I've been terrified of getting eaten by a dinosaur since 1993 and I'm not prepared to risk it