You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Leicester 3 (5-4 on pens) (Dec 22 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

That was so much more enjoyable than I ever imagined it could be. This was a game that was almost an inconvenience given the current situation.

We could have done without it and I’d already come to terms with the probably loss and made my peace with it. Then it ended up being a fucking classic and one of the most satisfying wins in a long time.

Leicester were at full strength and that felt a bit off really. Not because I think they should be resting players, far from it. I’m always of the view that teams who aren’t chasing the bigger prizes should be going balls out to win the cups so Brendan has absolutely done the right thing in going as strong as he could. No problem with that from me, I think more managers should do it.

What didn’t feel right about it was they postponed a game six days ago because of a ‘worsening’ COVID outbreak’ but all of a sudden they have ALL of their players available? How many had COVID and how many were just not vaccinated and had to isolate? The lack of transparency on this causes a lot of resentment.

We’ll probably never know what’s gone on with all these postponements and we just have to hope it all evens out eventually. The teams who have had a break now will hopefully get a congested fixture list later down the line while the likes of us, Chelsea and Arsenal (who have all played on through this) will benefit from a lighter load down the line.

Seeing the two line ups before kick off though it’s fair to say I didn’t like our chances. I wasn’t especially bothered either, which is funny because by the end I was so desperate to win that this felt like the most important game we’ve had all season.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report, Dave. The pens toss up is shit. It used to be whoever won the toss decided which end or whether they went first. Now, they have a toss to see who gets to choose which end and another to decide who goes first.

I dont think Jurgen can play kids in the semi against arsenal, legohead will go with a virtual 1st team to try and get to the final.

If the semi is made into a single game, I can see Jurgen going strong as well with our big guns on the bench. I just hope those games cost us in the league because I still say it, that and the CL are the priorities.

We'll want to go strong in both semi-finals and pick a squad/bench side for the Shrews in the middle. Our second choice midfield and defence should be more than enough to dominate Shrewsbury although we might need a couple of youngsters up front. The problem will be if (when?) we get allocated the Tuesday date following Chelsea on the Sunday. 

I ripped Keita last time so fair play he was excellent when he came on this time. Not for the first time I hope he can put in a consistent spell of games. 

That second half was just brilliant, made up for everyone. As you say Dave their dickhead fans certainly ramped up the desire to win. 

Terrific entertainment.

I prefer us to not kick towards our fans in shoot outs. I just think it's easier for players to shut out everything else when there's people trying to put them off than when they're looking at hopeful faces on the way to take the pens.

I can think of this game, Stoke a few years ago, Chelsea in 07, West Ham in Cardiff and Milan in Istanbul off the top of my head that we've won kicking in front of the other team's fans. There's only City in the League cup final I can think of us actually losing.

As a side note, I also hate player's names being sung before pens. I was pretty nervous when Bobby stepped up for that reason last night.

• Upvote 1

Good report, skipper.

Maybe the ticket prices had an impact on the atmosphere, as lots may have got in when they don't normally manage a ticket?

Also, the atmosphere may have played a part in Klopp's decision to go for it, second half.

What we did last night puts paid to any suggestion that we don't have a deep enough squad.

We have more than enough in every position now.

For what it's worth, I think Maddison is a right knob; both in how he looks and how he acts.

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Summed up beautifully. 

Goes into the top echelon of unexpected and joyful cup wins with the Arsenal one ( it was 5-5 Dave ) , the Curtis Jones derby and the Spurs LC one in Rafa's first season.

5-5 yeah! I initially thought that but corrected myself as it seemed a bit too mad so I talked myself into 4-4.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sir roger said:

Summed up beautifully. 

Goes into the top echelon of unexpected and joyful cup wins with the Arsenal one ( it was 5-5 Dave ) , the Curtis Jones derby and the Spurs LC one in Rafa's first season.

I loved the Shrewsbury FA Cup replay too, with this team, especially after the whingeing by their chairman..... 

62 - Caoimhin Kelleher
46 - Adam Lewis
48 - Curtis Jones
49 - Liam Millar
51 - Ki-Jana Hoever
67 - Harvey Elliott
68 - Pedro Chirivella
72 - Sepp van den Berg
76 - Neco Williams
80 - Jake Cain
84 - Leighton Clarkson

On 23/12/2021 at 20:10, m0e said:

Good report, skipper.

Maybe the ticket prices had an impact on the atmosphere, as lots may have got in when they don't normally manage a ticket?

Also, the atmosphere may have played a part in Klopp's decision to go for it, second half.

What we did last night puts paid to any suggestion that we don't have a deep enough squad.

We have more than enough in every position now.

For what it's worth, I think Maddison is a right knob; both in how he looks and how he acts.

The atmosphere is always talked about when the stadium is full of local supporters who can’t usually get in. Such a shame it’s been destroyed with corporates and tourists for most games.

• dave u unpinned this topic