You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lijnders has desire to become a manager again

TLW

Pep Lijnders has indicated his intention to return to senior management but has refused to enter any discussion regarding succeeding Jurgen Klopp.

The Dutchman started his coaching career at Porto, and after his initial stint at Liverpool, he returned to his homeland to take charge of NEC.

However he was in charge for just five months where he guided the club to a third-place finish in the second-tier Eerste Divisie and an end-of-season playoff spot.

The club lost 5-4 on aggregate to seventh-place Emmen in the second round, before Lijnders subsequently the club by mutual decision.

Despite that disappointment, the fire still deeply burns for the 38 year-old as he discussed in the lead-up to the Carabao Cup quarter final clash against Leicester.

image.png

“That’s the plan, it is the plan yeah. You asked management, and Jurgen knows this.

“But this is not the time to speak about these things, because I have a contract to 2024, and we are in the middle of this project this beautiful project.

“When the time comes I will sit down with my management and I will see the options I have, and after that we will decide. So. Definitely, that’s the plan.”

The name of Steven Gerrard inevitably comes up when talk arises about a successor to Klopp, and that only has ramped up since his return to the Premier League to manage Aston Villa.

But Lijnders is believed to be very highly regarded by the key decision makers at Liverpool, for his fine work initially with the youth teams and then transitioning to the senior ranks.

His meticulous attention to detail has all the hallmarks of what a top manager needs to be.

Klopp saw these traits in Lijnders even before he took the NEC job.

“He has such a big football brain.

“But it’s his willingness to learn and absorb information and always look to improve and be better as a coach that makes him stand out."

So with the experience that he had in his career to date, working with one of the finest managers in World Football on a daily basis and still not yet 40 years of age, Lijnders is in a wonderful position to choose his next step.

But just don’t ask him about the Liverpool job anytime soon.

View full article

• Upvote 1

Not sure how long Stevie’s contract is, but to go from Villa to Liverpool? I cant see it myself. He’d have to do something massively outstanding as ‘proof of work’. A lot hinges on when Jurgen decides that he needs an extended hiatus. There could be ample time for Lijnders to do a stint with us, assuming mutual appreciation abounds.

17 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I would not be against him getting a crack at the job when the time comes, bit of continuity and he has been working alongside the best manager for years.

I can see FSG doing this they have on the administration side promoted from within a fair bit (not exclusively)

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Being a great coach and a top manager are not the same thing at all. Liverpool were fortunate to be one of very few clubs were the continuity thing worked but its hard to see it happening again.

This is the crux of it, I think it’s unlikely that we would be that lucky. It all depends on what state the team is in and if he is luke have the respect of the senior players to be boss. 

inreckon Gerrard is nailed on as FSG know the fans won’t turn on him if he has a shaky start. As long as he doesn’t get sacked by Villa I think it will be him. 

No idea whether or not Lijnders would be a good manager at this level, he of course lacks relevant experience. But based on his football knowledge alone I tend to believe he’s more qualified than a number of others that have managed clubs in the PL the last few years.

To stay where we are now, we need one of the best managers in the world when Klopp leaves. Information available to me gives me no indication on whether 

Lijnders nor Gerrard should even be in contention.