You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clattenburg- Robertson is lucky to be walking after Kane challenge

TLW

Mark Clattenburg has slammed the quality of officiating in Liverpool’s clash with Tottenham on Sunday.

In a game that had numerous talking points, it was the incident involving the England and Scotland captains which drew the most attention.

At normal speed, it seemed to be a robust challenge by the striker, but the more times you looked at the incident it was a straight red card offence and almost certainly would have been adjudicated as such if VAR had been used.

As the dust has settled, there has been considerable dismay at another example of the subpar quality of officials in one of the top leagues in the world.

One of the justifications over the decision documented by BBC Sport said that Robertson lifted his standing leg out of the way of the Spurs captain's tackle.

However speaking on 5 Live’s Monday Night Club, the former Premier League referee for over a decade said it is a worrying conclusion to make.

robertson6_600.jpg

“To hear that Robertson has to have his leg planted alarms me, because if he does that he's not walking this Christmas.

“If you don't believe this is a clear and obvious error about Kane, you're not doing your job correctly.

"I think we, as referees, are sometimes guilty of knowing the laws of the game but we don't understand the game.”

Clattenburg pinpointed the operation of VAR as a major issue and those in charge of it on any given matchday have no excuse to get the decision wrong.

“VAR cannot get this wrong. Referees can, because they have a split second. VAR have all the angles, he's got all the slow-motion, he can see the point of contact.

“If they are saying that his (Robertson's) leg has to be planted, which is a new one to me, if the leg was high, the studs were showing, it's reckless, he's lunged. For me, he's endangered the safety of the opponent.

"Robbo is lucky today that he's still walking. We should understand footballers more because he's not going to leave his leg there, why should he? He's not going to want his leg broken and his career put in doubt."

Clattenburg who is now Head of Officiating in Greece says that they follow a process that the Premier League should look into further.

“In Greece, we release the audio of VAR decisions.

"People appreciate it. They might not always agree with it, but they appreciate it. I think that should happen.

"We should be able to listen to the audio. We might not agree with it, but at least then we would understand."

View full article

8 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Its just a weak ridiculous excuse from 2 poor officials. Kavanagh has no excuse for not asking Tierney to look at Kanes tackle or to re visit the penalty. At the end of the day its another e ample of the really weak standards set by Reilly.

Yep. Once again it's back to the shittest ever PL ref being head of refs in the richest league in the world. Seems to mirror society in general.

Feel like a broken record but my paranoia regarding Gtr Manc refs won’t go away. One in the booth another on the pitch and there’s the result. Blatant penalty on Jota brushed away and Kane let off with Robbo lucky to be playing again this season. Manc and bent or just manc and incompetent? Imagine 3 refs from the Liverpool area officiating most of City’s games and getting these kind of decisions. They’d be calling it right out and rightly so, as a club we’re too fucking nice. And guess who’s on VAR for Chelsea away…yep Paul Tierney of Salford, unreal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Halcyon Days said:

Feel like a broken record but my paranoia regarding Gtr Manc refs won’t go away. One in the booth another on the pitch and there’s the result. Blatant penalty on Jota brushed away and Kane let off with Robbo lucky to be playing again this season. Manc and bent or just manc and incompetent? Imagine 3 refs from the Liverpool area officiating most of City’s games and getting these kind of decisions. They’d be calling it right out and rightly so, as a club we’re too fucking nice. And guess who’s on VAR for Chelsea away…yep Paul Tierney of Salford, unreal.

Farcical. Any competent organisation would realise that even the impression of bias should not be allowed to happen and cut that shit out straight away. Clattenburg was/isn't actually a bad referee at all. I believe he's a Geordie too?

• Upvote 1

I can remember the days of Jack Taylor when many English referees were regarded as the best in the world, and we seem to have fallen way below those standards in recent years.

A few years ago I was involved in youth football and took a referees course because quite often there wouldn’t be enough refs to go around and you’d end up officiating yourself for half a game while the opposing coach would do the other half.

It struck me then that refs were always on a hiding to nothing and I didn’t like criticising them because, having had the experience, I knew you were never right in some peoples eyes.

When VAR came along, I thought that it would make the officials lot much easier as surely it would allow the correct decision to be arrived at in the end.

I still think VAR as a concept is right, but all that has happened is that it has shown up how shite some of our officials are and how inept they are at reading games, not to mention that some of the appointments made and decisions arrived at have made them look corrupt.

Jack Taylor will be spinning in his grave.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

PGMOL  have issued a statement saying that Kanes challeng lacked intensity and was at the wrong point of contract for a red so Robbo was not endangered whereas Robbos challenge endangered Emerson. FFS u couldnt make this up. Never fuckin wrong that lot.

As expected, a load of back covering bollocks, over the next few weeks you will see a red for something with less intensity and even wronger point of contact.

I mean what the hell is "wrong point of contact"? Never heard that before, they're just making shit up as they go along with zero accountability as per usual.

29 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

PGMOL  have issued a statement saying that Kanes challeng lacked intensity and was at the wrong point of contract for a red so Robbo was not endangered whereas Robbos challenge endangered Emerson. FFS u couldnt make this up. Never fuckin wrong that lot.

Even allowing for this being bollocks, Kane was took a running jump into that tackle. You can't get more intensity. 

Bent as fuck

47 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I can remember the days of Jack Taylor when many English referees were regarded as the best in the world, and we seem to have fallen way below those standards in recent years.

A few years ago I was involved in youth football and took a referees course because quite often there wouldn’t be enough refs to go around and you’d end up officiating yourself for half a game while the opposing coach would do the other half.

It struck me then that refs were always on a hiding to nothing and I didn’t like criticising them because, having had the experience, I knew you were never right in some peoples eyes.

When VAR came along, I thought that it would make the officials lot much easier as surely it would allow the correct decision to be arrived at in the end.

I still think VAR as a concept is right, but all that has happened is that it has shown up how shite some of our officials are and how inept they are at reading games, not to mention that some of the appointments made and decisions arrived at have made them look corrupt.

I also remember Jack Taylor he had the balls to give an early penalty against the world cup hosts in the WC final 74. Excellent ref as was Gordon Hill. These fuckers woukd have been non league refs back then. Not good enough , fuckin dopes who make the rules up on the fly.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

That cannot be true surely?

50 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I have begun reffing again myself over the last few months in kid's football and you are correct. I think an easy thing for any referee to do to make things easier is to keep talking to the players and explain what you are doing and why. They won't always agree but it gets you respect at least. Today's refs dont seem to do this much and it gets players back's up straight away. VAR simply can't compensate for incompetence,or clear bias and corruption.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Quoted on ESPN and discussed on there. The Athletic also put something very similar in an article yesterday.

Fuck me, that's ridiculous.

Why can't they come out, admit they got the Kane thing wrong, and retrospectively give him a 3 game ban?

I know it doesn't help us, but it would give them some sort of credibility.

This making shit up to cover their arses has to be called out by journis and pundits, not just us randomers on a forum.

22 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

And you still have people saying it’s just incompetence if that’s not bad enough. Clearly fucking corrupt. Money talks.

Yep. The same people just happen to be very selectively useless even when they have replays and monitors with which to do their job. Refusing to entertain the very real possibility of corruption is in its own way preposterous, tinfoil hat wearing nonsense.