You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1 (Dec 16 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Not really what I was expecting or hoping for but getting the three points is always the most important thing when you’re trying to keep pace with Man City. There is very little margin for error so you just have to win. If you can win well, all the better.

3-1 is fine though, especially under the circumstances as there was an ‘Atletico Madrid 2020’ feel about this with all the Covid stuff going on right now.

I thought we would win well because Newcastle are shite and we’re in fine form. We weren’t helped by Virgil and Fabinho testing positive on the day of the game meaning Klopp had to make a couple of late changes. Not a big deal as we’re bringing in good players to replace them and we were only playing Newcastle. 

Going behind early didn’t help but it didn’t hurt too much either as we were playing well before the goal and we continued to play well after it. Just a bump in the road as we got caught after a mistake, which can happen. Good strike by Shelvey to be fair. Initially I thought Alisson should have done better but having seen the replay from behind the ball I don’t think it’s saveable. He seemed to be wrong footed and may have thought it was going in the other corner. 

The blame lies with Thiago really who rushed his clearance when there was no need. That’s so not like him. Usually it would be the opposite and you worry about him taking too much time and losing the ball that way, or just playing a careless pass. He did that a bit later and needed Alisson to bail him out. Sometimes when you’re that good you take the basics for granted and don’t pay them the attention you should. He spent the next five minutes apologising to everybody after that though, and I don’t think he gave it away again all night. 

The Newcastle goal wasn’t exactly a wake up call as we weren’t asleep. We were looking sharp and playing some great stuff. It was only a matter of time before we equalised but when it came there was definitely an element of luck about it. More often than not the referee stops the game before the cross comes in for Jota to score at the second attempt.

I’d be pissed off if one of our players was down with a head injury and the game wasn’t stopped, so I get Newcastle’s complaints. It’s difficult though because if you start stopping the game every time a player goes down holding his head, you’ll just get players constantly going down holding their heads after an initial set-piece has been cleared, as that means no second phase of play goals.

That’s the problem here; players and managers are - as a general rule - cheating cunts who will look to gain an advantage however they can. Let’s take the Villa game last weekend for example. We saw all that time wasting and gamesmanship from them, so it’s naive to think they wouldn’t resort to going down holding their heads to get the game stopped any time there’s potential danger.

So it’s easy to blame Mike Dean for that but he did see that the player was down so the logical conclusion here is he thought it wasn’t a genuine head injury. Eddie Howe says the player was “hazy for five minutes afterwards”. Either he’s lying or he’s completely ignoring concussion protocols by not subbing him. Not sure which is worse really.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave although to be honest, I didnt think we played well. Yes, we had loads of possession but I just thought in the final 3rd, the ball just wasnt there and the threat of a breakawy by St Maximin was always there until he gave up. Agree about the 3rd goal needed to settle the nerves even though there was only a few minutes left. That tackle by Trent was right in front of me and I must say, I held my breath expecting VAR Review to flash up on the scoreboard.

That was a cracking strike by Trent and it would be great if he could crack in a few more. I thought Alli nearly got caught with a couple of the little pushing the ball in front of him before punting it.

Disappointing not to score 4 or 5 against these but the 3 points will do. Disappointing to hear the geordies singing FTS after the all the food we've sent to their foodbanks. As for singing about Gerrard, bunch of cocks. Hope they enjoyed their long drive back home nursing another defeat.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic