You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Aston Villa 0 (Dec 11 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Yep, that’ll do. The only thing I’m relatively unhappy about is that the scoreline makes this seem close. It really wasn’t, or at least it shouldn’t have been. We played really well and absolutely dominated Villa but we didn’t convert that into goals and because of that the last 15 minutes became a bit mental. We should have been out of sight by then though.

This is close to a 1-0 hammering as you’ll ever see. It was close because we didn’t convert our dominance into goals and because the referee was pitiful and missed two clear penalties in the first half. Granted, he hasn’t been helped out by whichever dickhead was on VAR either, but Stuart Atwell did his level best to ruin this game.

On top of that, Villa were fucking horrible. It felt like we were playing Atletico Madrid. Time wasting, shithousing, playacting, surrounding the ref, it was fucking grim. It’s ironic really. When Stevie became a manager he spoke of how he’d take bits he’d learned from all the great managers he played for and implement them into his own style. And it turns out that the manager who influenced his ‘style’ the most is the one he nearly played for. Twice.

I didn’t like how Villa approached the game but the bigger problem was the useless cunt with the whistle who did absolutely nothing to stop it. Teams like Villa (and by that I mean 80% of the league) will do that shit if they’re allowed to because the less time the ball is in play the less time we have to put it in their net. 

Gerrard had clearly instructed his players to take the piss as much as possible, and the inclusion of Ashley Young as one of their front three was all the proof I need. Young in a front three? What is this, 2014? In fairness he was too busy refereeing the game to pose any threat to our defence. But while Villa’s tactics did nothing to improve the spectacle, Gerrard is entitled to set up his team however he likes and the real issue is the referee doing nothing to stop it.

Atwell is one pathetic fucking weasel. His performance was an absolute disgrace. He got so many decisions wrong but the worst thing was how weak he was with Villa’s gamesmanship.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave. Not sure why people think Stevie should spend more time acknowledging our fans chanting for him. Did these people feel the same when Rafa didnt engage with them in the recent derby?

I thought Atwell was shit. I was amazed he gave the pen considering how shit he was! Can remember Villa timewasting when they had rimmer or that square jawed spinks in goal. Some things never change.

• Upvote 1

Watched this wih my mate who's a City fan. We'd been joking aboutt Citeh's penalty and then we had our incidents which obviosuly I thoght were pens. Looks at him and he mutters more of a pen than we (city) got. 

When rival fans whose team is challenging you for the title agree on shit like this you know the ref fucked up. Badly. 
Thankful we won, just wish we weren's so profligate at times.  Lets put that right and stuff the geordie cunts, increase out Goal difference and continue our march to glory. 

Up the red men! Fuck all the other cunts. 

• Upvote 2

You know what though, prior to Atwell's shitshow this weekend I was thinking that the refs have been miles better this season than they have been the last few years. 

VAR especially has been much less shit, but even just their performances in general haven't been that bad. Atwell is the first one that's really riled me up in our games, but just watching MOTD every week it's been obvious that there are a lot less horrific decisions than I've become used to.

The beginning of the season there was a definite improvement but recently the standards are dropping again.

Atwell was so poor as a PL referee that he was dropped from the 'elite' list, stank out the Championship and then, for no good reason, brought back to ref in the PL. Not only that, but he is now on the FIFA list, which must mean that someone thinks he is one of the 5 or 6 best refs in the country. Not only does he make poor decisionsbut he is bullied by players, who clearly have zero respect for him. Another triumph for Mike Riley.

"Anyway, 1-0 and assive relief all around the stadium"

Yes, indeed, my sphincter unclenched when Mo put that away, as did thousands of others, only for it to clench up again when Alisson had his moment with the fluffed clearance and then with Ings.

Nice to see you've not held back and gone all in on Atwell, which is thoroughly deserved.

On 13/12/2021 at 17:02, dave u said:

VAR especially has been much less shit, but even just their performances in general haven't been that bad. Atwell is the first one that's really riled me up in our games, but just watching MOTD every week it's been obvious that there are a lot less horrific decisions than I've become used to.

Not really VAR is it, its the idiots that are interpreting it. Sometimes there is less of a furore if a certain player has been in the headlines...I'm looking at you Harry Maguire, again!!

Arse played at Old Trafford not so long ago and the replays clearly show pull back on that Tomayasu, blatant as you like, commentary team and numerous replays show it was more obvious than Ronaldos at Watford. As ever Martin Atkinson was at the helm, not sure who was on VAR, but refusal to even look is ridiculous. 

VAR will always be flawed because of those line drawing morons...

I would never have had Atwell down as a shit-house ref but he certainly made up for it in this game...almost deliberate how inept he was... 

Great read thanks!

On 14/12/2021 at 06:23, Josef Svejk said:

"This wasn’t an audition for the Liverpool job and his tactics are irrelevant to how he will be in the future when he has a better team with better players."

I wouldn't be so sure. He managed one of the top two teams in Scotland. They were grim to watch. 

His top 2 managerial influences (by amount of time working with them) are Ged and Rafa. 

• Upvote 2