You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (H) – Sat 11th Dec 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

That was a great game to get out of the way, and have 3 points at the end of.

Gerrard did as much as he could with what he had available to him, only his 5th game don’t forget, and it’s always easier to try and frustrate us than go toe to toe, and he will have known that.

How he will play with better quality players at his disposal will only be clear when he has them.

Thankfully he didn’t pull off the draw that he wanted, but also, we were poor at times all over the pitch and struggled as we sometimes do when presented with this kind of challenge, and also with some really poor officiating, and it’s frustrating that we don’t put these kinds of teams to the sword as City tend to do. 
Something of a blip these last two games then, but two clean sheets and 6 points is title winning form.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Code said:

This is the team Klopp inherited.

Finished 6th the season before and was in 10th when Rodgers got sacked.

AC17315D-8856-413F-8B6B-3B6F6A534D53.jpeg

8EBB44A5-830C-4988-9D82-92FF3719B019.jpeg

I have to admit to not remembering that period well. Wrong in fact. I could have sworn that Rodgers got the boot the season after Suarez left, but of course that would mean Gerrard was in the squad when Klopp arrived, plus I forgot Sterling jumping ship.

Clearly, I’m getting old and daft.

Gerrard will be disappointed he didn’t pinch a draw there. His team let him down.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

He may or may not make a very good manager and time will tell. His tactical philosophy needs to have a clear identity that's aligned with something that would challenge in a competitive league before he's ready to make that leap in my opinion. That's very unclear right now.

When we recruit our next one it needs to be the best choice available. I think I'm just nervous that we'll make the sentimental choice because of the momentum behind it instead.

To be honest, the only shred of sentimentality FSG have displayed regarding sporting matters was giving Kenny a permanent deal after four months as caretaker. I think most would agree he deserved it on the basis of results at that time, but FSG didn’t mess around in sacking him after a poor first full season.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I have to admit to not remembering that period well. Wrong in fact. I could have sworn that Rodgers got the boot the season after Suarez left, but of course that would mean Gerrard was in the squad when Klopp arrived, plus I forgot Sterling jumping ship.

Clearly, I’m getting old and daft.

Gerrard will be disappointed he didn’t pinch a draw there. His team let him down.

Yeah, Rodgers had a horrible season and a half after Suarez left. If I remember rightly, there was a thread on here about which players we should actually keep; there were very few nominees.

1 minute ago, A_S said:

The number of comments calling Mo a diver for that penalty...wow. A massive unit like Mings leaning on your thigh from behind while you are trying to run is gonna hinder anybody. 

They can fuck off, that McGinn is a moaning twat, we should have had 2 pens in the first half, and it wasn't a pen on Ings either.

Gerrard has proved his managerial qualities there, came to Anfield, got beat, moaned about a decision!

10 minutes ago, A_S said:

The number of comments calling Mo a diver for that penalty...wow. A massive unit like Mings leaning on your thigh from behind while you are trying to run is gonna hinder anybody. 

Is this fans who pay to watch Ashley fucking Young week in week out? Calling someone else a diver?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That was the most obvious penalty ever. People calling it a dive are completely mental.

I didn’t think the first Robbo one was, but not sure about the second one where Marvellous cleaned him out. Need to see another replay of it. 

Thought we played OK really, Ox, Mo, Jota and Virgil all could have scored, and strange to see Mo cock up a couple of counter attacks. We could have easily had 3 or 4 on another day.

Villa didn’t create a single thing.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

As bad as that? We disagree and we'll see. They got away with it in their first PL game which was a free hit for them. When they come to play at Anfield on 15 Jan, every point will be important for them, the game wont be a free hit and they wont risk going toe to toe.

They might with no Salah or Mané in our eleven

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

These teams time wasting from the first minute, diving at any opportunity, and rolling round on the floor like they've been shot. Anti-football cunts. 

Makes sense though it’s the best way for these small clubs to try and get a result against us.
Look at the other small sides like Southampton, Arsenal & Everton recently that tried to have a go they just get smacked about. 

It always seems small time to say it but I thought the referee took atrocious to new levels. He could do a multiple choice test with only two solutions to pick from and get every question wrong. I find it hard to fathom how you can objectively get it wrong so often unless you are not making decisions on what you see but on what you want. Not to say he wanted it to go against Liverpool but he was doing his best to even the odds. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It always seems small time to say it but I thought the referee took atrocious to new levels. He could do a multiple choice test with only two solutions to pick from and get every question wrong. I find it hard to fathom how you can objectively get it wrong so often unless you are not making decisions on what you see but on what you want. Not to say he wanted it to go against Liverpool but he was doing his best to even the odds. 

I think he is just not up to the job tbh. His handling of Villa's time wasting was laughable , how many times do you need to warn someone before carding them? Stonewall pen regardless of what Gerrard thinks but if Atwell hadn't give it I bet VAR would have backed him.

The madness of it is you genuinely have villa fans saying Mo tripped Mings. Mo tripped mings even though Mo was in front of Mings. 

Anyhow Villa fans have always been odd. 

We deserved the win, should have won by more, many more. 

Did villa even have  shot at goal?