You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Last-Minute Winners

AngryOfTuebrook

Ive always said last minute winners are down to two things, fitness and mentality. For many years since 1991, I didnt consider we had the fitness nor mentality to do this. It's no surprise that lot down the East Lancs used to do this frequently.

Now, my money's on us more than any other team in the PL to come up with last minute winners. All hail Jurgen's mentality monsters!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I read a stat that we've scored 39 winners in the 90th minute or later in the Premier League; at least 13 more than any other team.

Traffic-beaters are missing so much!

Only left early once and that was in the early 70s when I had to catch the bus at everton valley. 0-0 against Burnley and Tosh scored the winner in the 91st minute. Never again!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I read a stat that we've scored 39 winners in the 90th minute or later in the Premier League; at least 13 more than any other team.

Still think about the couple beside me who left the Origi+6 derby on 85 minutes. What’s wrong with people?

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I remember not long after he joined us Jurgen was saying he was frustrated with people leaving early. If people aren't staying to support the team for 90+ minutes, why should the team give 100% until the end?

So he promised, if we stay and give our full support, the team will have the mentality to show they're worth staying for. 

Then we got this...

1265631705_maxresdefault(23).thumb.jpg.89181b0fc7b76d796cfc2a2003c28f62.jpg

Oh how they laughed at us, celebrating a 2-2 draw with West Brom at home to secure 9th place, just look how far we've fallen. 

But no, that wasn't what was happening here. What happened was Klopp reinforcing what he promised. We were looking like we were going to lose the game but the fans stuck by the team and in the 96th minute...

That goal was one of the most important in the recent history of the club, not for the usual reasons, like a big Derby winner, or the goal to send us through to the champions league final, or even needing the points to make top 4. It's a huge goal because of what it represented, and it foreshadowed everything that was to come in the following years, and who else to score that goal? It's like poetry. 

Why would anybody want to leave early?

• Upvote 3

Shout out to Rocket Ronnie Rosenthal

Not quite a memorable one in our history, but I was there, and I really enjoyed that as a 14 year old, short, spotty kid.

Forward to 6 minutes.

He scored another last minute winner versus the blues in the Kop end. I wish I was there for that!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

I remember not long after he joined us Jurgen was saying he was frustrated with people leaving early. If people aren't staying to support the team for 90+ minutes, why should the team give 100% until the end?

So he promised, if we stay and give our full support, the team will have the mentality to show they're worth staying for. 

Then we got this...

Oh how they laughed at us, celebrating a 2-2 draw with West Brom at home to secure 9th place, just look how far we've fallen. 

But no, that wasn't what was happening here. What happened was Klopp reinforcing what he promised. We were looking like we were going to lose the game but the fans stuck by the team and in the 96th minute...

That goal was one of the most important in the recent history of the club, not for the usual reasons, like a big Derby winner, or the goal to send us through to the champions league final, or even needing the points to make top 4. It's a huge goal because of what it represented, and it foreshadowed everything that was to come in the following years, and who else to score that goal? It's like poetry. 

Funnily enough through this season I've noticed loads are going early - be that easy wins like arsenal or the Brighton match when it felt helpless. I'm a little surprised by it. In fact I think Anfield has been a little flat all season. At first I was blaming the stupid ticket system and needing to get in way before the game. But that seems to have passed now and we get in almost as good as it was before. 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Then we got this...

I remember defending this on here against people who just couldn't see the bigger picture. Who can't see that now?