You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alternative 'rona thread

Pureblood

30 minutes ago, Em City said:

Some very telling anecdotes from Ottowan residents in this thread. Lovely bunch these protestors.

"If this was BLM, the police would be kicking them out overnight.

Edit: In fact, there is no "if". Here is a BIPOC protest that blocked ONE intersection and they lasted 36 hours before being arrested. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/protest-ottawa-arrests-day-of-action-for-anishinabeg-1.5811276"

I don't think we do ourselves any favours on the left when we start ignoring the bigger picture here in these protests and instead start focusing on the concerns of local residents. This is what the right use to call us hypocrites and it's something I've seen repeatedly as I've been following some of what's been going on in recent months.

Large scale protests are always going to piss off a lot of locals, impossible to avoid. We all know the damage that was caused from protests when Trump was in power too, I don't remember us surveying the local residents when all of that was going on.

There's support from minorities for these mandates and restrictions being dropped, it's not the racist white crusade the corporate media make it out to be.

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think we do ourselves any favours on the left when we start ignoring the bigger picture here in these protests and instead start focusing on the concerns of local residents. This is what the right use to call us hypocrites and it's something I've seen repeatedly as I've been following some of what's been going on in recent months.

Large scale protests are always going to piss off a lot of locals, impossible to avoid. We all know the damage that was caused from protests when Trump was in power too, I don't remember us surveying the local residents when all of that was going on.

There's support from minorities for these mandates and restrictions being dropped, it's not the racist white crusade the corporate media make it out to be.

Yeah let's ignore it all eh, let's ignore the fighting with police in London, let's ignore the barging into vaccine centres, intimidating staff and trying to arrest the police. let's ignore all that ... because erm.... ? why the fuck should we? 

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

These sources have nothing to do with corporate media. They (protestors) are the far right.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

These sources have nothing to do with corporate media. They (protestors) are the far right.

Thanks for the list. There's some fucked up stuff going on there but there's also stuff that wouldn't be commented on if the protests were seen as being on the left too (sign equating the PM with Nazi SS, seriously? Did we skip four years of Trump protests all of a sudden? Can of beer thrown at a journo, fireworks, etc.)

And here's one of the confederate flag links. Of course this is corporate media, he's a CTV journo :

And here's what looks like the same guy with the flag being called out :

But don't worry, you can be assured that the corporate media won't be posting that clip.

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah let's ignore it all eh, let's ignore the fighting with police in London, let's ignore the barging into vaccine centres, intimidating staff and trying to arrest the police. let's ignore all that ... because erm.... ? why the fuck should we? 

Not sure if you missed this on the previous page :

19 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

It's nothing like some of the stupid shit we saw last year from our own protesters though, where right wingers would turn up and start scuffling with cops as if it was the whole aim of the journey.

I thought a lot of those people were acting like clowns too. It wouldn't have been all of them but some clips we saw looked stupid and agreed on that. People that appeared to have turned up almost purely for the aggro.

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks for the list. There's some fucked up stuff going on there but there's also stuff that wouldn't be commented on if the protests were seen as being on the left too (sign equating the PM with Nazi SS, seriously? Did we skip four years of Trump protests all of a sudden? Can of beer thrown at a journo, fireworks, etc.)

And here's one of the confederate flag links. Of course this is corporate media, he's a CTV journo :

And here's what looks like the same guy with the flag being called out :

But don't worry, you can be assured that the corporate media won't be posting that clip.

You could simply admit you've been a clueless idiot on the matter, you know.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

You could simply admit you've been a clueless idiot on the matter, you know, instead of posting irrelevant videos that have nothing to do with these protests specifically. 

I've been following the protests since the weekend because they're trying to remove mandates and I don't think supporting their removal is being a clueless idiot. If you choose to side with Trudeau instead that's your choice.

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've been following the protests since the weekend because they're trying to remove mandates and I don't think supporting their removal is being a clueless idiot. If you choose to side with Trudeau instead that's your choice.

You downplayed the behaviour of protesters from someone (me) who lives very close by to where they're happening. Hence, clueless idiot. This isn't hard.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You downplayed the behaviour of protesters from someone (me) who lives very close by to where they're happening. Hence, clueless idiot. This isn't hard.

You didn't do yourself any favours starting off by referring to them as unwashed masses. So I wasn't expecting your take to be fair from that point onwards.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Oh, of course it's my fault, not the fault of the guy who is an ocean away talking shite.

I'm not sure if you realised this, but you can actually be right at the scene of something going on and still have a view that others disagree with. I'm trying to be civil and not get sarcastic with you (partly because I've just woke up and can't be doing with it) but I get the feeling it's not going to do me any good.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'm not sure if you realised this, but you can actually be right at the scene of something going on and still have a view that others disagree with. I'm trying to be civil and not get sarcastic with you (partly because I've just woke up and can't be doing with it) but I get the feeling it's not going to do me any good.

Dude, shut the fuck up.

They have a good point here and I'll always support indigenous people trying to protect their land. I think what they aren't taking into account though is the scale of this protest and the anger that'll result (with potential consequences of way more protesting and more blockades) if the gov use force to shut this down :

And if Trudeau is so bothered about "antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Black racism, homophobia, and transphobia", don't you think he'd also be doing more to help these people with this?

There's more detail on this here (I have this blocked with a paywall now but could read it when first visiting, hopefully any of you can read first time too) : Report details harms to Alberta First Nation for creation of Wood Buffalo National Park

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So, the police are finally moving the anti-vax truckers from the roads?

Nope, with the border blockade (in Alberta) the cops have set up their own mini blockade to stop supporters of the main blockade joining up with it. Not sure what's going to happen next.