You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alternative 'rona thread

Pureblood

10 minutes ago, Iceman said:

The system is broken but the glee with which this new imposition of draconian mandates is being accepted by supposed champions of democracy is the big shock. 

Come on then, give me a system in which every member of society gets to do they things the voted for, and not have to do the things they didn't want.

5 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I get it now. You're a parody account, starting this thread to out the easily-led, alt-right mob on here, with your talk about 'libtards' and 'snowflakes' and 'lamestream' media and how blue tick accounts with long posting histories are of any fucking significance when it come to trust.

Almost had me there!

The libtard/snowflake/lamestream stuff is said tongue in cheek.  If you'd prefer, I won't use those labels again as I agree that they're cheap and counterproductive.

As for the thread itself, it's here for more open discussion.  You like an open discussion, yeah?  That always has to be a good thing, right?  Or would you prefer one side of the story only?

Just now, Jack the Sipper said:

Come on then, give me a system in which every member of society gets to do they things the voted for, and not have to do the things they didn't want.

What a ridiculous request. 

I know that making people take experimental drugs under threat of losing their jobs, and ability to buy food, travel, go cinema, gym etc is nothing close to democracy. 

Just now, Iceman said:

What a ridiculous request. 

I know that making people take experimental drugs under threat of losing their jobs, and ability to buy food, travel, go cinema, gym etc is nothing close to democracy. 

Agreed, which is why I asked what system you envisage to replace our system. How, in your mind, can we ever get to a place where I don't have to follow laws that are implemented by a government that I didn't vote for? Seems like a utopia to me.

Just now, Jack the Sipper said:

Agreed, which is why I asked what system you envisage to replace our system. How, in your mind, can we ever get to a place where I don't have to follow laws that are implemented by a government that I didn't vote for? Seems like a utopia to me.

A good start is by allowing people the choice to not take an experimental drug that causes myocarditis. 

6 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

The libtard/snowflake/lamestream stuff is said tongue in cheek.  If you'd prefer, I won't use those labels again as I agree that they're cheap and counterproductive.

As for the thread itself, it's here for more open discussion.  You like an open discussion, yeah?  That always has to be a good thing, right?  Or would you prefer one side of the story only?

It's not really, though, is it. You were free to post what you wanted in the existing thread. You weren't 'censored', despite what you alluded to earlier. From what I've seen of this thread so far, it's generally retweeting memes that mock anyone who doesn't share the counter-view, than any attempt at a serious discussion 

3 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

It's not really, though, is it. You were free to post what you wanted in the existing thread. You weren't 'censored', despite what you alluded to earlier. From what I've seen of this thread so far, it's generally retweeting memes that mock anyone who doesn't share the counter-view, than any attempt at a serious discussion 

I love the memes, because although they're tacky and cheap, there's also a certain truth in them.  That's why they become memes.  And, they trigger discussion.  

Personally, I think the discussion here is better than on the vanilla Coronavirus thread.  In between all the sparring, there is some good stuff.  Like what we're having now. 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

And catch a virus that causes more serious myocarditis. Great win! 

That assumes one cannot get the virus after 3 shots, which has been proven false. So you can get myocarditis from virus and also the experimental drugs. Essentially increasing your risk exponentially. 

21 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

And yet everything they say when it comes to the medical treatment of Covid is accepted without question. 

Nothing should be accepted without question, especially not from the Johnson regime.

When Johnson said (in February 2020) that we shouldn't introduce travel restrictions; when he bragged about shaking hands with Covid patients in hospital; when he said a lockdown wouldn't be necessary and that football matches and horse races could go ahead; when they paid people to go out to pubs and restaurants; when they forced students to go to halls of residence, etc. etc. then what they say certainly shouldn't have been accepted.

When doctors and scientists (from relevant disciplines) talk about what the evidence says about prevention and treatment, they should be listened to and understood.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

When doctors and scientists (from relevant disciplines) talk about what the evidence says about prevention and treatment, they should be listened to and understood.

Doctors and scientists are human beings, every bit as susceptible to corruption and influence as any other.  They don't have a magic shield around them nullifying them from Boris Johnson's cuntery.  

11 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Doctors and scientists are human beings, every bit as susceptible to corruption and influence as any other.  They don't have a magic shield around them nullifying them from Boris Johnson's cuntery.  

The difference is that the scientific method provides a safeguard against human fallibility and venality. There are no such brakes in our political system. 

Had covid pretty bad at the beginning of the year. Got over it without the vaccine and have no plans on getting it. 

Been to events, concerts and got on with life as normal, been around people who caught it, had the tests myself, not contracted it again.

I'm good without a vaccine thanks.