You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Southampton 0 (Nov 27 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

That was an enjoyable afternoon despite the baltic conditions. An early goal ways helps, as does being three goals to the good by half time. It was just a stress free, fun Anfield experience, the kind we’ve been treated to an awful lot over the last three or four years. 

There was a point late in the first half when I thought to myself “don’t take this for granted, it won’t always be like this”. This team is special, in my view the best we’ve ever had. But they have a shelf life and Klopp isn’t going to be here forever. That’s something I’m well aware of but it’s not something I often think about, because it’s fucking depressing. I am going to savour all these games at Anfield though watching this team, because it wasn’t that long ago it home games were fucking miserable (the final 14 months or so of Brendan).

We may or may not win the title this season, but if we don’t it will be because either Chelsea or City have done something incredible that we couldn’t quite match. Whatever happens, it doesn’t change how incredible this squad of players have been for us and there’ll be many more wins like this one and the Arsenal one a week ago. 

Of course it helps when the opposition actually wants a game of football and aren’t solely focused on spoiling. Southampton didn’t come to just roll over, sit back and hope for the best. They tried to take the initiative and show intent. They just aren’t good enough to do that against a team like us, but fair play for trying. If they’d tried to just sit back and keep the score down I doubt they’d have fared any better as that isn’t their style. They’re a high press, attack minded side so that’s what they did.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I thought we were pretty poor. And I think we were poor because poor was good enough; we didn't need to be any better. And poor got us 4-0. Was it Mane's goal that was awarded offside after a pretty lengthy VAR? I've not seen it since, but it looked a very tight call from where we were sat.

4-0. Poor. Must do better! 

No mention of the "shooooot" calls from around the ground? I was "Ohhhh purleeeeze" until (as, I think @AngryOfTuebrook has mentioned in a thread on here) the ball went back to Virgil - way inside our half - and subsequently Alisson both of whom were implored to "shooooot". That made me laugh.

Although it was proper brassic, it was good to see you all beforehand. Especially Ren. Blesssssss. 

I'd be tempted to keep Konate in the side for Wednesday. You just know they are going to try and volley us off the park, and he clearly has the physical presence to counter that and potentially give some back. I'd love him to take a running jump at Pickford from a corner.  

22 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I'd be tempted to keep Konate in the side for Wednesday. You just know they are going to try and volley us off the park, and he clearly has the physical presence to counter that and potentially give some back. I'd love him to take a running jump at Pickford from a corner.  

If the criteria for getting a game is taking a running jump at Pickford then they should let me play.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, rb14 said:

I thought we were pretty poor. And I think we were poor because poor was good enough; we didn't need to be any better. And poor got us 4-0. Was it Mane's goal that was awarded offside after a pretty lengthy VAR? I've not seen it since, but it looked a very tight call from where we were sat.

No mention of the "shooooot" calls from around the ground? I was "Ohhhh purleeeeze" until (as, I think @AngryOfTuebrook has mentioned in a thread on here) the ball went back to Virgil - way inside our half - and subsequently Alisson both of whom were implored to "shooooot". That made me laugh.

Although it was proper brassic, it was good to see you all beforehand. Especially Ren. Blesssssss. 

The "shooot" thing is annoying. I ignored it because I was already having a go about the Jota chant and didn't want to pile on too much!

10 hours ago, rb14 said:

Ha, ha, ha!!! Rene’s face was a picture. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I just can't have it as the best team we've ever had when paisley won 6 league titles and 3 European cups in 9 years. Its certainly the best side I've watched but greedily feels like it hasn't won the silverware it's talent deserves but then oil states and bored oligarchs own clubs these days.

All about context for me. It's a hell of a lot harder to win those trophies currently. If your measuring stick is purely trophies then this side will come up short.

Alternatively though, no other side we've had before has gone 97 points one season and then 99 points the next whilst also adding a European Cup for good measure.

Also, you're talking about a 9 year period so that's several teams really, not just one. The 1977 side was quite a bit different to the 1984 one.

This group is more or less unchanged for about four years now. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic