You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stop shouting shoot

Paulie Dangerously

If we hadn’t shouted shoot at Fabinho bs. It’s me wouldn’t have shot. It’s been shouted at Anfield for years, sometimes with a hint of irony/sarcasm and sometimes because we want out players to shoot. Same as “attack attack, attack attack attack” and the similar clap. 

It’s never stopping and rightly so 

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Awful, awful wool shouts from the Kop. 

Stop shouting shoot whenever a player is within 40 yards of the goal. Cringe. 

And stop singing, “Liverpool, Liverpool taking the piss” and “Ole’s at the wheel” (thankfully no longer relevant) and “The Reds have got no money” and giving Jota (love him, but come on!!!) the Kenny chant/clap. 

There’s funny and then there’s arrogant/small time/premature and the funny ship sailed ages ago with some of these this season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I would generally agree but I think it was fairly light-hearted stuff with a few games lately having a soporific last 30 minutes when the job was already done.

This. Yesterday it was all the fun to be had in the last 20 minutes - especially shouting it to Alisson.

We don't want to make a habit of it, like.

(Same story with pitch invasions. It was a laugh to see those two kids after Porto, but we don't need to see it again. It was good to see that bloke being dragged off the pitch yesterday, with wanker signs flying in his direction from all sides.)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

And stop singing, “Liverpool, Liverpool taking the piss” and “Ole’s at the wheel” (thankfully no longer relevant) and “The Reds have got no money” and giving Jota (love him, but come on!!!) the Kenny chant/clap. 

You are...

1.  Wrong. It's a boss chant. (And it's "take the piss" - an exhortation, not a commentary.)

2.  Right. Singing about other clubs, especially when you're not playing them, is the acme of small-club behaviour.

3.  Part-right.  As has been mentioned elsewhere, singing it to City, Chelsea or United is OK. Singing it to other clubs is crass. 

4.  Wrong.  As I posted elsewhere, he is looking like a worthy inheritor of the St John handclap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This. Yesterday it was all the fun to be had in the last 20 minutes - especially shouting it to Alisson.

We don't want to make a habit of it, like.

(Same story with pitch invasions. It was a laugh to see those two kids after Porto, but we don't need to see it again. It was good to see that bloke being dragged off the pitch yesterday, with wanker signs flying in his direction from all sides.)

Agree on the pitch invasion stuff.

I don't think the kids at the Porto game should be encouraged/applauded either. Next every 10 year old in the ground will think running on the pitch will get them a match ball & there will be people in the stand with those humiliating '*insert player* give me your shirt or I'll kill myself' banners.

39 minutes ago, Mook said:

Agree on the pitch invasion stuff.

I don't think the kids at the Porto game should be encouraged/applauded either. Next every 10 year old in the ground will think running on the pitch will get them a match ball & there will be people in the stand with those humiliating '*insert player* give me your shirt or I'll kill myself' banners.

I know Liverpool stopped players signing autographs at the training ground, but can you still write to the club or individual players and ask for autographs? When I was kid, I wrote to loads of players, enclosing something for them to sign and a self-addressed envelope. Graeme Souness and Ronald Koeman were the only players who never obliged.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Can you still write to clubs or individual players and ask for autographs? When I was kid, I wrote to loads of players, enclosing something for them to sign and a self-addressed envelope. Graeme Souness and Ronald Koeman were the only players who never obliged.

I don't suppose there's anything to stop you although I suspect the response wouldn't be so great these days.

There's a quiet dignity in doing that as opposed to begging for a shirt on live TV.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I once asked Steve McMahon for his shirt. He told me to fuck-off!

On my second trip to Anfield(Ipswich cup replay),we went to collect the tickets one morning and the players were boarding the bus. My cousin started waiving to them, Steve Nicol waived back with one finger. I missed myself laughing at him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

There’s funny and then there’s arrogant/small time/premature and the funny ship sailed ages ago with some of these this season. 

Aw, I love the take the piss one. Agree on the others though. 

41 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I know Liverpool stopped players signing autographs at the training ground, but can you still write to the club or individual players and ask for autographs? When I was kid, I wrote to loads of players, enclosing something for them to sign and a self-addressed envelope. Graeme Souness and Ronald Koeman were the only players who never obliged.

Not a football thing, but I saw a picture of an autograph the other day: some teenage kid in the states had bunked off school because Bruce Springsteen was doing a book signing in the next town. The kid took his book and also a letter for his teacher saying "please may [whatever his name was] be excused from school, as he was attending my book signing" and Bruce signed that too.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

You can write in but they get ignored. My little niece idolises Salah. After her ma passed away recently, my ma sent a birthday card in around the time of my niece's birthday and put in a small note explaining what had happened and asking if Salah could sign her card for her. She's sent a couple of things in with the same note and they've been ignored. My ma knows some bloke who works at a veterans charity who works with the club at times and he said that they get that much stuff sent in that they tend to ignore all but the most exceptional of cases. Bit shit, if true, but I can imagine the volume of stuff that is sent in. 

I once got elbowed in the head by Jan Molby when trying to get post-match autographs when the players entrance was round the main stand side, up by the little, tiny club shop in the top corner of the player's car park. It's mad how small that shop was compared to the new ones. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Liverpool, Liverpool take the piss....has been around since as long as i can remember at least as far back as the early 80's and is boss.....sadly its almost died out in recent years....at homes anyway, don't get any aways so don't know about them.

We actually got it going v arsenal and yesterday and it was to me anyway nice to hear a few remembered it.

Ole's at the wheel was utter shite and really fucking small time - just needed to be drowned out by chanting Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool in my view every time it started.

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Not a football thing, but I saw a picture of an autograph the other day: some teenage kid in the states had bunked off school because Bruce Springsteen was doing a book signing in the next town. The kid took his book and also a letter for his teacher saying "please may [whatever his name was] be excused from school, as he was attending my book signing" and Bruce signed that too.

Brilliant!